• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen more than holding his own with other 2018 drafted QBs

MVPccaffrey

39 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

^^^ All those players in the top right were there in the first 9 games of their career i'm sure!  We have huddle geniuses who can map out the career of a de facto rookie sooner than any NFL GM can WOW

Aren't you doing the same thing by crowning him as our franchise qb already? 

15 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Sorry to break it to you but a UDFA will never get the same leeway as a first round pick, and they shouldn’t. UDFA need to go above and beyond and Allen hasn’t done that. The chances a UDFA turns out to be a franchise QB are slim to none

This mentality drives me crazy. I understand the reasoning due to the investment, but if the ultimate goal is to win, you've got to put aside your pride (not necessarily talking about KA specifically here) and let the best players rise to the top.

In terms of Kyle, he's played half of an NFL season. And he has done nothing to warrant pulling the plug from his small sample size, and has most certainly done enough to allow him opportunity to show if he can develop further.

Too many people want to see a hall-of-famer step onto the field immediately. That rarely happens for eventual inductees, let alone any UDFA. I'm not saying you have to give the guy 3 seasons regardless of play, but give him a chance.

Holding his own against guys on that list isn’t a big accomplishment so let’s not act like it is.

Yes Kyle has exceeded expectations. most of us would have never said we’d be 5-4 after nine games with him starting. But he’s not playing like a “franchise” qb right now, not even close to it. He has played well against average teams and has struggled against better teams. Let’s see what he does in the next 7 games and then talk about what he is/isn’t 

36 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

This mentality drives me crazy. I understand the reasoning due to the investment, but if the ultimate goal is to win, you've got to put aside your pride (not necessarily talking about KA specifically here) and let the best players rise to the top.

In terms of Kyle, he's played half of an NFL season. And he has done nothing to warrant pulling the plug from his small sample size, and has most certainly done enough to allow him opportunity to show if he can develop further.

Too many people want to see a hall-of-famer step onto the field immediately. That rarely happens for eventual inductees, let alone any UDFA. I'm not saying you have to give the guy 3 seasons regardless of play, but give him a chance.

That fact that you are using wins as a metric tells me all. Allen was on the roster last season was cut, cut by the jets, resigned, was on the roster all offseason, and we still drafted a QB.  It’s obvious this team didn’t have much faith in him to begin with. You can’t just wash away his past failures and says this is the new Allen (which is average QB play)

He will never get the same chances as all those other guys OP mentioned. No one is saying cut him right now but this whole “he’s a rookie” debate which he’s not is not in his favors 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

i mostly agree with the results here but uhhh analytics still hasn’t figured out how to account for the kirk cousins effect. bottom left makes a little more sense than top right. problem with allen is he doesn’t have some elite set of tools to dream on. pretty close to maxed out rn. only hope is that he becomes an elite decision maker. he really is case keenum isn’t he

Just how does anyone know if the guy is maxed out?  I keep reading that.  Things like "he's got a low ceiling."    I see the kid getting better and better.  

People want to talk about how he's not that good because he has a small sample size....but man people will sure call him bad or label him as a maxed out player with the same sample size.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

It's still a little to early to say he's a franchise QB or a career backup. Right now, he's playing well above expectations and winning more than he's losing, throwing more TDs than interceptions, and having some problems with fumbles. 

He does, however, seem to have a certain poise that says the game isn't too big or fast for him and he seems to be learning how to pilot an NFL team on the fly. Not too shabby. 

He's our guy right now, and that's really all that matters. Start worrying about 2020 around March.

I think we will know a lot more by the end of the season.  Thats 7 more games to evaluate him.  

Archived