• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera’s send off was Elegant, Foxes departure was cold

Hotsauce

Fox was bad at the end.  Gave up and mailed in that last season and a half.  Fox teams were never the most talented on the field but they were scrappy.  Mostly from Jake and Smitty but it was the MO.

Rivera had more talent, more opportunities, more everything, barely got passed Fox.  Rivera consistently underachieved.  RR was worse than Fox.

When he figured out he wasn't going to get extended and it became a mexican standoff where he wouldn't quit and JR wouldn't pay him not to coach, yeah he was pretty terrible then.

Really hurt our team and I am certain he ran Clausen out there out of spite. Ruined whatever he might have been able to become. Clausen deserved better. Good or not.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Rivera is a nice person.

Fox is not. 

giphy.gif

I also think that whole situation was a good example of why known lame duck years are a terrible idea for everyone involved. JR was too cheap to fire Fox with the CBA negotiations looming and Fox and crew pretty much knew they were dead men walking. I'm sure there was a very pervasive negative not giving a flying fug attitude throughout the organization that season.

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

Fox was worse than Rivera. His own willful ignorance to trot Delhomme out there past his prime. His unwillingness to adapt and his no balls coaching style got him what he deserved.  He rode the coat tails of Steve Smith, Double Trouble and a few elite defenses pieces until he got exposed. At least Ron TRIED to win, and even be innovative at times.

To be fair almost everything you said can be applied to Rivera. 

“His own willful ignorance to trot Cam out there when injured after the season is lost. His unwillingness to adapt and his no balls coaching style got him what he deserved.  He rode the coat tails of Cam and a few elite defenses pieces until he got exposed.”

56 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It came from somebody that used to work there.

Same source told the story about Fox dragging a visibly uncomfortable Marty Hurney to a strip club around the time of the 2003 Super Bowl.

Hurney looks uncomfortable any time I see him anyway. Have to wear that Hurn-Dog nickname proud and own the strip club. 

28 minutes ago, CardiacCat said:

Nothing was "elegant" about the way Rivera was let go.....  Ask the man himself.  Was it time for him to leave?  .... Yes, I believe so.  But was it handled "elegantly"? .....No, it wasn't.

You could choose a different word than 'elegant' if you wanted, but the reality is that Rivera was sent off with multiple expressions of gratitude and well wishes, including some from the very owner that fired him.

John Fox's goodbye was basically the Panthers announcing that he was gone and talking about the search for the next guy.

Archived