• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cam Contract Extension Possibility

CanadianCat

Too risky. Already got paid for a season+ he hasn’t played and already set back the team two years. Let him play this year without any real competition sure, I’m all for it. But that’s 3 seasons the Panthers have given him. After that it’s either time to sign him long term or let him go. But if he won’t play without an extension before the season, I’d rather just part ways. 

11 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The Carolina Panthers have well over 100 million dollars tied up in two linebackers just because. I get the apprehension to Newton's future from the injury standpoint obviously. But in terms of resource allocation, no quarterback worth his salt is ever going to be "affordable" again, and the penny pinchers need to accept that or consider watching another sport.

This is 100% wrong, and you know it.

How much is Lamar costing the Ravens?  Watson the Texans?  Mahommes the Chiefs?

All of those are CHEAP top tier talents, and two of them have a shot at a SB this season.  The idea that you have to have a 100M QB on your roster to be good is false, it's much easier to get a good cheap young QB and make a push.

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

All of those are CHEAP top tier talents, and two of them have a shot at a SB this season.  The idea that you have to have a 100M QB on your roster to be good is false, it's much easier to get a good cheap young QB and make a push.

Hey bud, you do know they don't stay on the rookie wage scale for their entire career right?

By year 3 if they are any good the likelihood of a minimum hundred million dollar contract being on the horizon soon is pretty much a given.

Nobody has said we can't draft a quarterback. In fact that's what I've said we will be doing very soon, maybe not 2020 though looking at our current draft position. The difference between speculation and reality on that though is how likely do you think it will be for us that a Mahomes, Jackson, or Watson tier of young QB will fall in our laps within the next few years with all the other subpar teams picking at the top of the draft who also have a need for a quarterback?

low guaranteed money, high value incentives that pay him like an MVP if he comes out and plays like one. a tradeable contract that takes care of the franchise's best QB if he returns to form and doesn't hamstring the team if he doesn't.

pretty simple

13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

well yeah if you can draft a future 100m talent and have the rest of the team be awesome during that rookie contract window sure, but i can't imagine building a football operation around making that shot

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

well yeah if you can draft a future 100m talent and have the rest of the team be awesome during that rookie contract window sure, but i can't imagine building a football operation around making that shot

Shouldn't that be the goal?

It's what the Hawks did with Russell, and almost got two SB's out of it.  It's what Andy is doing with Mahommes, and should have accomplished last season.  It's what the Ravens are doing with Lamar, and they may get a trophy this season.

It's what we should have done with Cam, but we are a dumb team.

The point here, is if the team, that means new GM, HC, and the owner aren't fully convinced that Cam can regain his Superman status, then that is the way to go.  Don't be a dumbass team like the Jets or Chicago in this process, be better, smarter.

30 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Hey bud, you do know they don't stay on the rookie wage scale for their entire career right?

By year 3 if they are any good the likelihood of a minimum hundred million dollar contract being on the horizon soon is pretty much a given.

Nobody has said we can't draft a quarterback. In fact that's what I've said we will be doing very soon, maybe not 2020 though looking at our current draft position. The difference between speculation and reality on that though is how likely do you think it will be for us that a Mahomes, Jackson, or Watson tier of young QB will fall in our laps within the next few years with all the other subpar teams picking at the top of the draft who also have a need for a quarterback?

No, I thought that whatever deal they signed as rookies was the only deal they will ever get.....

They are cheap for 5 years, then get very expensive....cool.  Not shocking to anyone who follows the sport.

The point, is you said "no QB worth his salt will ever be cheap again", and that's simply not true.

I have no idea if that will happen to us, but if the team isn't fully convinced that Cam is healthy, and can stay that way, that is our best route to take.

Archived