• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney

Mr Mojo Risin

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Who has drafted more future HOF guys?!?

I was PISSED when he drafted Luke with Michael Brockers sitting there.

I wanted H1.0 gone! He wouldn't draft a 1st round DT.

With the years passing and seeing Marty Hurney players becoming NFL stars I accepted him back, but he wasn't the same.

H2.0 wasn't just getting HOF quality first picks he was picking up Jacksons and Ian Thomas's while killing it with DJ Moores and Brian Burns. Haters want to blame Hurney for injuries and coaches perhaps not using a player to the best of said players abilities. Hurney couldn't fire a coach, that's above his head then and now.

If he drafts Brown I'll say that H2.0 is in full circle and has totally turned into one of the best GMs in NFL history. His HOF resume is about to speak for itself. His fruits are starting to sprout trees.

It's hard to work for family, they bring up every friggin' thing you did in your teens to diss you while totally missing the awesome adult right before their eyes.

Marty Hurney was evaluated by David Tepper and Tepper said he was awesome.

Haters

I wish I could fail at my job 10 out of 13 years and have his kind of job security. 

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Who has drafted more future HOF guys?!?

I was PISSED when he drafted Luke with Michael Brockers sitting there.

I wanted H1.0 gone! He wouldn't draft a 1st round DT.

With the years passing and seeing Marty Hurney players becoming NFL stars I accepted him back, but he wasn't the same.

H2.0 wasn't just getting HOF quality first picks he was picking up Jacksons and Ian Thomas's while killing it with DJ Moores and Brian Burns. Haters want to blame Hurney for injuries and coaches perhaps not using a player to the best of said players abilities. Hurney couldn't fire a coach, that's above his head then and now.

If he drafts Brown I'll say that H2.0 is in full circle and has totally turned into one of the best GMs in NFL history. His HOF resume is about to speak for itself. His fruits are starting to sprout trees.

It's hard to work for family, they bring up every friggin' thing you did in your teens to diss you while totally missing the awesome adult right before their eyes.

Marty Hurney was evaluated by David Tepper and Tepper said he was awesome.

Haters

Hurney is being put out to pasture but slowly. Tepper realizes the experience he has is needed for transition. And he isn't a bad GM.

He isn't great either. But one way I can tell when something isn't true is when people label it to the extreme. 

31 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Fired then rehired? WTF it's like a bad dream. Only the fuggin Panthers... This team deserves the terrible state they're in. Hopefully it changes someday.  

That's also another good point. When in the history of the NFL has a GM been fired and then rehired by the same organization in the same role?! There's no way that's ever happened before

12 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

That's also another good point. When in the history of the NFL has a GM been fired and then rehired by the same organization in the same role?! There's no way that's ever happened before

well he could have had any nfl job he wanted, but he didn't want to leave the AM radio station.

At this point I don't care Hurney stays or goes. I get both sides, and I think Hurney is a fine GM, but we can do better.

Hurney is far from terirble at his job, there's GMs employed (or in the case of teams like the Jets and the Texans, HC acting as GMs employed) than Hurney. That said he's not Canton bound either, and we can do better.

Either way, doesn't make any sense to do anything before May.

5 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

There seems to be a little bit of confusion as to Marty Hurney's role within the organization. Yes, he still has the acting title of "GM" but does he really have the power and influence hes had in years past? Will Marty/Rhule have the same working relationship as Marty/Rivera? Shouldn't Rhule have more power and control of the team/roster/draft than either Marty/Rivera had?

I could have swore Tepper said in an interview that hes going to keep Marty moreso for his expertise and knowledge and his ability to "scout talent." Do we really believe Marty is going to manage the cap, control who we draft, and who we sign in FA? Wouldn't Rhule have the final say so for ALL personnel decisions regarding the roster? Wasnt that the point of hiring a Program Builder like Rhule to begin with?

I was hoping a few of you who might be more knowledgable about the situation clear it up for us. It seems a few people believe Marty was retained as full time acting GM of the Carolina Panthers and all of the power that goes with that position, but I dont believe that to be true. Do you?

I don't think most here understand Hurney's role in the first place.  Although I do think some of it is people who needed to focus their anger and frustration on something or someone.

However, it's clear that some think Marty works in a bubble and has free reign.  The thing about Marty is that he has always done what others want.  To start, he did what JR wanted him to do...he didn't just give out those absurd contracts on his own, they were at JR's behest.  And in the early days, Fox told him what he wanted, and that's what Marty went out and got.  It was the same with Rivera.  Marty is not a team builder, he's a personal shopper.  He gets a shopping list, and goes and gets what's on the list.  2010 was the only exception, and we know how well that turned out.

So, for the current situation, as others have said he is here for the transition.  After the draft he'll likely either retire/move on, or be moved to another role.  For now, he's not going to be signing any FA's or making draft picks without Rhule's approval.  I'd also wager heavily that the Shaq signing was an organizational decision and not simply Marty deciding to do it on his own.

For the record, this isn't an endorsement in any way, just explaining that he isn't what many think he is...and no, don't read too much into what Tepper said when he let Rivera go, that was just a bone and made-up excuse why he is still here.  

4 hours ago, t96 said:

Nothing is known for sure but my impression of the situation is that Rhule is the guy when it comes to everything football operations. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have final say over the roster and draft picks. Maybe I’m wrong but that is my impression based on Tepper’s comments, Rhule’s comments and Rhule’s contract and Hurney staying and not being able to interview the Philly guy because he wouldn’t have final say over the roster.

Rhule strikes me as a big collaborative guy, so I think that while he'll have a lot of power in player decisions (draft & FA), I don't think he will be the de-facto GM.  I think the idea is to hire a long-term GM after the draft that will work closely with Rhule to acquire/retain talent, but is ultimately responsible for making the final decisions. (I think the Asst. GM part of the role they listed is simply a mask for what it really is, Marty's replacement)

As for the Philly guy, I wonder if it wasn't just a Rooney Rule interview to fulfill the obligation so once the draft is over they could move quickly to hire the guy Tepper is actually targeting (Caserio?).  And I have zero doubt that Tepper already has his guy picked out, and if it was Berry, he's not the type of guy to meekly let him go.  If he really wanted him, he would have made it happen.

Archived