• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney

Mr Mojo Risin

There seems to be a little bit of confusion as to Marty Hurney's role within the organization. Yes, he still has the acting title of "GM" but does he really have the power and influence hes had in years past? Will Marty/Rhule have the same working relationship as Marty/Rivera? Shouldn't Rhule have more power and control of the team/roster/draft than either Marty/Rivera had?

I could have swore Tepper said in an interview that hes going to keep Marty moreso for his expertise and knowledge and his ability to "scout talent." Do we really believe Marty is going to manage the cap, control who we draft, and who we sign in FA? Wouldn't Rhule have the final say so for ALL personnel decisions regarding the roster? Wasnt that the point of hiring a Program Builder like Rhule to begin with?

I was hoping a few of you who might be more knowledgable about the situation clear it up for us. It seems a few people believe Marty was retained as full time acting GM of the Carolina Panthers and all of the power that goes with that position, but I dont believe that to be true. Do you?

My biggest fear of Hurney is him drafting outside the first and how much he is going to be involved in building the roster. 

My biggest hope for Hurney is that with a coach like Rhule who has a clear vision of what he wants, Rhule will steer the ship and Hurney will only be responsible for filling in specific pieces. I think that might possibly be the best way to improve the overall drafting situation and team building. 

Nothing is known for sure but my impression of the situation is that Rhule is the guy when it comes to everything football operations. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have final say over the roster and draft picks. Maybe I’m wrong but that is my impression based on Tepper’s comments, Rhule’s comments and Rhule’s contract and Hurney staying and not being able to interview the Philly guy because he wouldn’t have final say over the roster.

GMs like Hurney and Keim keep and get their job by being a warm blankets for billionaire owners. I get that owners want a yes man to do their bidding but can they at least put qualified people in charge of the football decisions?

Who has drafted more future HOF guys?!?

I was PISSED when he drafted Luke with Michael Brockers sitting there.

I wanted H1.0 gone! He wouldn't draft a 1st round DT.

With the years passing and seeing Marty Hurney players becoming NFL stars I accepted him back, but he wasn't the same.

H2.0 wasn't just getting HOF quality first picks he was picking up Jacksons and Ian Thomas's while killing it with DJ Moores and Brian Burns. Haters want to blame Hurney for injuries and coaches perhaps not using a player to the best of said players abilities. Hurney couldn't fire a coach, that's above his head then and now.

If he drafts Brown I'll say that H2.0 is in full circle and has totally turned into one of the best GMs in NFL history. His HOF resume is about to speak for itself. His fruits are starting to sprout trees.

It's hard to work for family, they bring up every friggin' thing you did in your teens to diss you while totally missing the awesome adult right before their eyes.

Marty Hurney was evaluated by David Tepper and Tepper said he was awesome.

Haters

4 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Who has drafted more future HOF guys?!?

I was PISSED when he drafted Luke with Michael Brockers sitting there.

I wanted H1.0 gone! He wouldn't draft a 1st round DT.

With the years passing and seeing Marty Hurney players becoming NFL stars I accepted him back, but he wasn't the same.

H2.0 wasn't just getting HOF quality first picks he was picking up Jacksons and Ian Thomas's while killing it with DJ Moores and Brian Burns. Haters want to blame Hurney for injuries and coaches perhaps not using a player to the best of said players abilities. Hurney couldn't fire a coach, that's above his head then and now.

If he drafts Brown I'll say that H2.0 is in full circle and has totally turned into one of the best GMs in NFL history. His HOF resume is about to speak for itself. His fruits are starting to sprout trees.

It's hard to work for family, they bring up every friggin' thing you did in your teens to diss you while totally missing the awesome adult right before their eyes.

Marty Hurney was evaluated by David Tepper and Tepper said he was awesome.

Haters

Wow.

The fact that he gave Shaq the extension without a head coach in place indicates he still has plenty of power. In addition to that, he was at minimum a key voice in the decision to hire Rhule. 

That being said, I feel like Hurney’s role has always been to collaborate with the current head coach and find players that meet the vision of the head coach. I don’t buy the fact that he goes rogue on signing free agents or extending players or drafting players against the head coaches will. 

The lone exception to that may have been 2010 and to some degree other years under Richardson’s ownership. ( I can’t be convinced that Richardson didn’t spearhead the 2009/2010 years leading up the new CBA that he was such a big part of)

If Rhule is as good as advertised and has an eye for talent that he can develop like he did from his college recruiting days, he may be the guy to maximize Hurney’s potential. If things go south, Rhule certainly has much more job security and will outlast Hurney. 

Lastly all of those hoping that Hurney is just here to run one last draft and help with the transition, I consider it plausible but more likely just wishful thinking. 

Archived