• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

56k new cases yesterday. Trump and maybe the least qualified person to govern our education, Betsy DeVos, are now aggressively pushing for schools to reopen when it is extremely dangerous and not safe. He does not care about you or your family. My kids won’t be in school in the fall and my wife is a teacher and she won’t be back then either. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Sadly, these comedy/news shows have done a better job of covering real issues than our real TV news agencies. It shows how far journalism has fallen.

I almost never agree with anything our moron of a president says but he isn't entirely inaccurate when he calls the media "the enemy of the people." I don't think he means it the way I do because he fellates any of the outlets that lick his boots. 

I do also believe that we as Americans are mostly to blame for that. When CNN shifted to 24/7 sensationalism, we watched. When Fpx News shifted to pure propaganda and spread obvious lies, we watched. So the feedback was clear, this was what we wanted. That part is our fault.

So true.  I've seen 2 different things from CNN that help me understand where they are coming from.  One was years ago when Obama was still in his early years in office, and CNN did a segment discussing all of the tactics used by Fox News to attract and keep viewers.  It was interesting to them because Fox was doing very well in the ratings, so they did a dive into it.  They were mean spirited about it, but now it appears they are using the same tactics for viewers.

The other thing I saw was when CNN was giving "the history of..." series.  One of them was the history of the news.  They went way back and showed the evolution of it.  One point that they made that stuck with me was when they said there is so much competition out there, that if you work in the news you had to adjust your expected audience.  For a TV program, you no longer tried to create a news show that appealed to 50 million viewers at the same time.  The new mission was to capture 2 million viewers who were loyal, and kept coming back.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

So true.  I've seen 2 different things from CNN that help me understand where they are coming from.  One was years ago when Obama was still in his early years in office, and CNN did a segment discussing all of the tactics used by Fox News to attract and keep viewers.  It was interesting to them because Fox was doing very well in the ratings, so they did a dive into it.  They were mean spirited about it, but now it appears they are using the same tactics for viewers.

The other thing I saw was when CNN was giving "the history of..." series.  One of them was the history of the news.  They went way back and showed the evolution of it.  One point that they made that stuck with me was when they said there is so much competition out there, that if you work in the news you had to adjust your expected audience.  For a TV program, you no longer tried to create a news show that appealed to 50 million viewers at the same time.  The new mission was to capture 2 million viewers who were loyal, and kept coming back.

And then came the "selective news." People now seek out sources that aren't impartial and certainly not "fair and balanced" but are echo chambers for their own preexisting beliefs or biases. 

And to a person they refuse to admit it.

https://covid19-projections.com/

Hover over the state and it will tell you how much cases or deaths are increasing or decreasing. Florida went from bright red to orange so I guess that is some positivism. Deaths are increasing but at a slower rate.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-az

Arizona is NOT flattening. At leaset a month until it peaks.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-tx

Texas is less dramatic but not what I would call flattening.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-fl

Florida seems flatter than the others but still not yet peaked.

2 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

https://covid19-projections.com/

Hover over the state and it will tell you how much cases or deaths are increasing or decreasing. Florida went from bright red to orange so I guess that is some positivism. Deaths are increasing but at a slower rate.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-az

Arizona is NOT flattening. At leaset a month until it peaks.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-tx

Texas is less dramatic but not what I would call flattening.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-fl

Florida seems flatter than the others but still not yet peaked.

Florida fired the statistician who was doing the Corona count because she refused to under report the numbers. Apparently her replacement has fewer qualms.  Florida is just manipulating the numbers while they head straight to a disaster. With the state so full of old retired people, Florida should be taking huge precautions instead of ignoring guidelines already in place. 

• Pie 1

On 6/23/2020 at 3:53 PM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

NYC went into Phase 2 yesterday. I'm going to be interested to see how our numbers do in a few weeks. We currently have falling numbers and are one of the best places in the nation for cases. But if it happened everywhere else that opened for the most part, I'd imagine we'll get a spike.

https://covid19-projections.com/us-ny

No spike!

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

So true.  I've seen 2 different things from CNN that help me understand where they are coming from.  One was years ago when Obama was still in his early years in office, and CNN did a segment discussing all of the tactics used by Fox News to attract and keep viewers.  It was interesting to them because Fox was doing very well in the ratings, so they did a dive into it. 

I saw something similar. Basically, Fox polled republicans and found people could be grouped in 3 distinct ways. They then created 3 prime time shows that appealed to each of those groups. Their 9pm show appeals to the largest of the 3 groups.

I see the same thing on msnbc now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Sadly, these comedy/news shows have done a better job of covering real issues than our real TV news agencies. It shows how far journalism has fallen.

I almost never agree with anything our moron of a president says but he isn't entirely inaccurate when he calls the media "the enemy of the people." I don't think he means it the way I do because he fellates any of the outlets that lick his boots. 

I do also believe that we as Americans are mostly to blame for that. When CNN shifted to 24/7 sensationalism, we watched. When Fpx News shifted to pure propaganda and spread obvious lies, we watched. So the feedback was clear, this was what we wanted. That part is our fault.

That is crazy thinking. The only folks who call the media the enemy of the people are deranged despots who want no record of what they are doing or saying and no one calling them out. We haven't had fake news until we had a fake president who was a reality TV star. The media isn't the problem it is people who blindly follow anyone who will tell them what they want to hear. The majority of people don't support trump and primetime viewers on Fox in April averaged between 3 and 4 million viewers which was number 1 but hardly an overwhelming majority of viewers. Frankly I rarely watch any of them these days.

• Poo 1