• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Well, this is disconcerting.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

From March 18-22, the Chinese city of Wuhan reported no new cases of the virus through domestic transmission — that is, infection passed on from one person to another. The achievement was seen as a turning point in efforts to contain the virus, which has infected more than 80,000 people in China. Wuhan was particularly hard-hit, with more than half of all confirmed cases in the country.

But some Wuhan residents who had tested positive earlier and then recovered from the disease are testing positive for the virus a second time. Based on data from several quarantine facilities in the city, which house patients for further observation after their discharge from hospitals, about 5%-10% of patients pronounced "recovered" have tested positive again.

19 hours ago, stirs said:

People recovered from the virus could hold a lot of keys

The plasma is already being used to help sick victims.  Another reason that I'd love to see he test implemented in a hurry which shows if you have already had the virus.

Blood drives could be more important very soon.

Only the blood plasma is being used or being experimentally used as a treatment.

In addition to working at various jobs when i was young, I sold my plasma as a way of making ends meet to get through college.  ( I know this must be fake news because all the boomers like me had it so easy way back when )  They take whole blood from you, run it through a centrifuge to seperate the plasma and put the red part back into you so you can give again in just a fraction of the time you normally would if you gave whole blood.  I didnt think the needle marks on my arms would ever heal but 40 years later they have.

Edited by Paa Langfart

22 hours ago, stirs said:

Understood, but in all the scenarios I gave, I have taken the old and existing conditions folks out of the equation by quarantining them strictly.  The occasional fit person on the vent would not be taking it from someone else most likely.  Also, did not say quit social distancing.

The biggest issue in my scenario is getting the US to go along with quarantining the elderly.  Yes, they can shut down a rest home,  but what about those not in rest homes.  That would be like herding cats.  My own folks, I have to watch them like a hawk or they will be talking about going here and there.  I have them send me grocery lists against their will because they want to get out of the house.

Also remember, with every elderly person that has tested positive and passed or are still in the hospital, their entire families have probably been infected.  How many have gotten tested?

I think again, more than the initial tests that everyone is wanting, we need the test that looks at antibodies to see who has already had it.

I can only Speak of the UK situation (can't comment on what I don't know in the USA) but to get lockdown in place for only some wouldn't work, how would it be policed? Government needed to act quickly to contain so in my mind it only is effective as a movement to get everyone to act in the same way. Look at the amount of people who still went to public places on mass? That needed to be put to a stop and this was the only effective way of doing that. 

20 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

Auto immune disorder.  

I think the jury is still out on that. They don't know what it is.  I also had sarcoidosis.  Been 20 years..no recurrence, thankfully. Hope same for you. 

I am hoping the lung involvement will not put me at risk with the Covid19 virus.  I am doing everything I can to try to prevent getting the virus..but I am a little worried.

Just now, ladypanther said:

I think the jury is still out on that. They don't know what it is.  I also had sarcoidosis.  Been 20 years..no recurrence, thankfully. Hope same for you. 

I am hoping the lung involvement will not put me at risk with the Covid19 virus.  I am doing everything I can to try to prevent getting the virus..but I am a little worried.

It's the only way to explain it to anyone.

I have had 2 flare ups in the past 4 years.  Last go around with prednisone seems to have it suppressed.  It's much worse in person to person.