Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

There has to be a way to prevent a spike while allowing low risk people to venture out. Require face masks, keep 6ft from others when possible, work from home when possible, etc.

These things completely depend on where you live, but doable in many places.

I don’t know where you live, but I heard many places in Texas and other mid west states are averaging 50% icu capacity right now. Charlotte typically runs at 100% capacity from what I understand, so there is alway an issue here.

Anyway, the bottom line is their is no way to guarantee safety. We need to understand and be ok with some controlled risk. The fallout from these job losses are going to get worse and could in the end be much worse than if we did nothing.

 

We were promised overwhelmed hospitals a month ago, told we were two weeks behind Italy and we were fuged, there was nothing we could do. 

April 3rd: Ohio prepares for coming surge https://www.wfmj.com/story/41962824/governor-dewine-says-state-is-preparing-for-surge-that-is-coming

April 9th: Ohio has flattened the curve! No surge! https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/you-have-squashed-this-ohio-has-flattened-the-curve-but-were-not-out-of-the-woods-yet

March 27th: New York Needs 40,000 ventilators https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/cuomo-refutes-trump-insists-ny-needs-up-to-40000-ventilators-i-operate-on-facts.html

April 6th: Nevermind, we are good. https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/06/cuomo-ventilators-new-york-coronavirus/

March 19th: 25 Million Californians infected in the next 8 weeks! https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/california-coronavirus-numbers-newsom-trump-15144169.php

April 6th: California sends 500 ventilators back because they don't need them https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/04/06/california-sends-500-ventilators-back-to-national-stockpile-1272393

April 14th: California looks to release restrictions, has 22,000 confirmed infections https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/california-gov-gavin-newsom-unveils-guide-to-lifting-coronavirus-restrictions.html

 

I could go on and on but I'm calling bullshit on this whole thing.  Social distancing hasn't been going THAT well. 

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

We were promised overwhelmed hospitals a month ago, told we were two weeks behind Italy and we were fuged, there was nothing we could do. 

April 3rd: Ohio prepares for coming surge https://www.wfmj.com/story/41962824/governor-dewine-says-state-is-preparing-for-surge-that-is-coming

April 9th: Ohio has flattened the curve! No surge! https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/you-have-squashed-this-ohio-has-flattened-the-curve-but-were-not-out-of-the-woods-yet

March 27th: New York Needs 40,000 ventilators https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/cuomo-refutes-trump-insists-ny-needs-up-to-40000-ventilators-i-operate-on-facts.html

April 6th: Nevermind, we are good. https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/06/cuomo-ventilators-new-york-coronavirus/

March 19th: 25 Million Californians infected in the next 8 weeks! https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/california-coronavirus-numbers-newsom-trump-15144169.php

April 6th: California sends 500 ventilators back because they don't need them https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/04/06/california-sends-500-ventilators-back-to-national-stockpile-1272393

April 14th: California looks to release restrictions, has 22,000 confirmed infections https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/california-gov-gavin-newsom-unveils-guide-to-lifting-coronavirus-restrictions.html

 

I could go on and on but I'm calling bullshit on this whole thing.  Social distancing hasn't been going THAT well. 

 

Lol... It’s just the flu!!  AMIRITE?!!  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

We were promised overwhelmed hospitals a month ago, told we were two weeks behind Italy and we were fuged, there was nothing we could do. 

April 3rd: Ohio prepares for coming surge https://www.wfmj.com/story/41962824/governor-dewine-says-state-is-preparing-for-surge-that-is-coming

April 9th: Ohio has flattened the curve! No surge! https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/you-have-squashed-this-ohio-has-flattened-the-curve-but-were-not-out-of-the-woods-yet

March 27th: New York Needs 40,000 ventilators https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/cuomo-refutes-trump-insists-ny-needs-up-to-40000-ventilators-i-operate-on-facts.html

April 6th: Nevermind, we are good. https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/06/cuomo-ventilators-new-york-coronavirus/

March 19th: 25 Million Californians infected in the next 8 weeks! https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/california-coronavirus-numbers-newsom-trump-15144169.php

April 6th: California sends 500 ventilators back because they don't need them https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/04/06/california-sends-500-ventilators-back-to-national-stockpile-1272393

April 14th: California looks to release restrictions, has 22,000 confirmed infections https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/california-gov-gavin-newsom-unveils-guide-to-lifting-coronavirus-restrictions.html

 

I could go on and on but I'm calling bullshit on this whole thing.  Social distancing hasn't been going THAT well. 

 

Wait, so the growth curve has been greatly reduced... yet social distancing hasn't been going that well. Interesting.

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wait, so the growth curve has been greatly reduced... yet social distancing hasn't been going that well. Interesting.

Yeah those contradictions going on all over the place are tough to reconcile for me.  We are in a depression now either way.  Might as well keep soldiering on down that track.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wait, so the growth curve has been greatly reduced... yet social distancing hasn't been going that well. Interesting.

And you mean the growth curve reduced from the predictions that were wildly inaccurate to begin with. Remember the Imperial College model?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

US military was almost not used in US outbreak so far... means US hospitals are handling it well.

Which was the whole point of social distancing and stay at home mandates all along. 

I just hope people actually understand this when stay at home mandates start getting lifted in the coming weeks. If they don't follow social distancing guidelines we'll see the second wave and everything will go right back to stay at home mandates again.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

That's a cute response but it doesn't address the issue.  All of the things I've read suggest that the most effective strategy is suppression which is to stay under lockdown until a vaccine is developed. Because that's not possible, the next step is repeated mitigation which involves multiple lockdowns, on and off, until a vaccine is developed.  We've extended the curve but at what cost? We are going to go right back to lockdown when it flares up again?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

That's a cute response but it doesn't address the issue.  All of the things I've read suggest that the most effective strategy is suppression which is to stay under lockdown until a vaccine is developed. Because that's not possible, the next step is repeated mitigation which involves multiple lockdowns, on and off, until a vaccine is developed.  We've extended the curve but at what cost? We are going to go right back to lockdown when it flares up again?  

No. The stay at home orders were due to the transmission of the disease getting out of control because we waited too long to act. As the curve flattens over the coming days and significantly declines over coming weeks, you'll see stay at home orders start to lift. There will be a return to somewhat normalcy. The "somewhat" is in there because we will still need to follow social distancing protocols to prevent a second exponential rise in cases. If people follow those protocols, we can likely prevent any further stay at home mandates. But, the average person is really incredibly dumb and half of the people out there are even dumber than that... so, we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...