• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zero reason to postpone the draft

Jeremy Igo

It would be a big mistake to postpone the draft. Teams need as much time as possible to get the rookies ready for the season. 

Instead. adapt and change. Picks can be made remotely via phone/internet. Players can be at home with their families for their reactions. This may even be more entertaining than all the contrived hoopla (money generating) fluff the NFL has turned the draft into. 

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

It would be a big mistake to postpone the draft. Teams need as much time as possible to get the rookies ready for the season. 

Instead. adapt and change. Picks can be made remotely via phone/internet. Players can be at home with their families for their reactions. This may even be more entertaining than all the contrived hoopla (money generating) fluff the NFL has turned the draft into. 

Bingo. Send out info for players to use a video service with either webcams or smart devices and let it be them at home doing their thing. Would be MUCH more entertaining. No risk to any employees of the NFL or the players.

Just now, lightsout said:

Bingo. Send out info for players to use a video service with either webcams or smart devices and let it be them at home doing their thing. Would be MUCH more entertaining. No risk to any employees of the NFL or the players.

I think it would be entertaining as hell to just have the players use their phones. They all know how to. Let them film what and who they want to. 

Back to the 1970s. It would be good for todays fans to get a taste of life before ESPN. Having to wait for the local news sports “segment” or the next day in the paper to even know who went where. 

The first draft I watched was 1983 and it was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. How do you pass on Marino!!!! 

I have to disagree with you here, even though I agree that they should still go ahead and have the event...in an adapted format.  After the draft there are dead periods where very little gets done anyways.  And some kids literally are forbidden from attending the few basic camps they have early on, because their school's schedule and NFL rules.  So they can afford to push it back, even though I don't like it. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Back to the 1970s. It would be good for todays fans to get a taste of life before ESPN. Having to wait for the local news sports “segment” or the next day in the paper to even know who went where. 

The first draft I watched was 1983 and it was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. How do you pass on Marino!!!! 

I wanted the to be the first to say old GIF

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I would agree except that lots of people organize draft parties which isn't smart to do right now.  

Honestly, the people who make the picks are never actually at the draft anyway.  They just send a low level functionary to the draft to walk the card up to the podium.  There is literally zero functional reason for that to happen as opposed to phoning it in to the league office.  That whole draft spectacle is just for show.

At this point, the draft would be a nice distraction, but, at the end of the day, we have bigger fish to fry. 

The NFL will be here when things get back to some normalcy, and that's probably how the league prefers it! They don't want any part of the veil being lifted, because it would ultimately mess with their money---or at least that's the way they see it. It's kind of like how lawmakers don't even want to give even emergency UBI. They know it will end their facade of lies about it, and ultimately people will see that it's doable. And, ironically, it would probably be ultimately good for the NFL from an economic standpoint.

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

I would agree except that lots of people organize draft parties which isn't smart to do right now.  

Well considering the US has 1629 confirmed cases out of an estimated 327,200,000 citizens, even if the actual amount of cases were 100x greater, it would still just be 0.05% of the population. I think that canceling a draft party with your family and friends is a little absurd unless you are in an area rife with cases. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well considering the US has 1629 confirmed cases out of an estimated 327,200,000 citizens, even if the actual amount of cases were 100x greater, it would still just be 0.05% of the population. I think that canceling a draft party with your family and friends is a little absurd unless you are in an area rife with cases. 

The CDC is giving out guidelines for a reason. Deaths in both China and Italy have jumped!

Archived