• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK Short

Jared Patterson

8 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

How much money do we acquire from cutting KK after this year, Mike Davis, etc! Thanks a lot!!!

We can save $10M by releasing him next year. $21M cap hit and $11M and dead money. We will save $14.5M if he’s a post June 1st cut.  Likely, he gone next year.

I would not get rid of him. D-line rookies take a year or so to really develop and he is a good player (and a real good guy) who just had a bad 2 years (1 because of Washington as his DC and the next year was cut short from injury). We can still get 2 years out of him. No rush to move on. 

5 minutes ago, musicman said:

I would not get rid of him. D-line rookies take a year or so to really develop and he is a good player (and a real good guy) who just had a bad 2 years (1 because of Washington as his DC and the next year was cut short from injury). We can still get 2 years out of him. No rush to move on. 

You want to pay $21M to almost 33 year old DT cause he’s a good guy?  Hurney, is that you?

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Cutting Short after the season would save about $10M. Cutting Davis would save $3M.

So if I'm understanding the structure of '20 & '21 on his contract, we would save $20M in '21 but have $11M in dead cap if we cut him at the end of this year? And then we can spread out the $11M over 2 years if he's a post 6/1 cut?

Honestly, as long as he doesn't go full Trai Turner this year, I'm cool keeping him through the end of 2021. We will have a nice chunk of cap space next year and it will be one less position to have to acquire next offseason.

I really think KK's play has been mostly due to him not having a space eater like Brown will be.... and partly due to getting paid. 

10 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Honestly, as long as he doesn't go full Trai Turner this year, I'm cool keeping him through the end of 2021. We will have a nice chunk of cap space next year and it will be one less position to have to acquire next offseason.

This has been tough for me to adjust to as well, but keep in mind unspent cap space can now be rolled forward so that nice chunk of cap space is no longer spend it or waste it. Paying KK if he fails to live up to his contract isn't just a luxury we can afford if we aren't up against the cap because any savings could be rolled forward to help in future years.

Ofc the CBA is up for renegotiation but I don't think this new wrinkle is going away. In the current environment there is every incentive to cut a player not living up to his contract if he will not renegotiate and other players will be fine with this because that money will simply eventually get spent on someone who is producing.

Doesn't make sense to cut KK this year after his restructure screwed the numbers up.  If he doesn't produce in 2020, he's gone. He does produce, you can revisit things. 

I don't have any earthly idea why Mike Davis is, was, or ever will be on this roster at a 3 million dollar hit. 

15 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

You want to pay $21M to almost 33 year old DT cause he’s a good guy?  Hurney, is that you?

Is that the only thing I wrote? No. Sorry, I'll need to explain it out for you because you wanna be funny. D-line rookies (3 of them) in case you can't count will take time to develop and there is no benefit right now in cutting him. He is a good guy and was a very good player (once compared with DT Donald as the 2nd best). Even if he's the 15th best in the league, that still better the 3/4 of the DT's out there. So just financially we have nothing to lose by keeping him? Do you think we'll get a great DT for less than $10 mil a year? BTW, he just turned 31, get your facts straight. Big picture!

12 minutes ago, musicman said:

Is that the only thing I wrote? No. Sorry, I'll need to explain it out for you because you wanna be funny. D-line rookies (3 of them) in case you can't count will take time to develop and there is no benefit right now in cutting him. He is a good guy and was a very good player (once compared with DT Donald as the 2nd best). Even if he's the 15th best in the league, that still better the 3/4 of the DT's out there. So just financially we have nothing to lose by keeping him? Do you think we'll get a great DT for less than $10 mil a year? BTW, he just turned 31, get your facts straight. Big picture!

Clearly you are struggling with reading comprehension.  Read the OP question.  No one is talking about cutting him now.  It’s impossible to cut him now due to dead money.  McCoy was signed for $10M by the Panthers when he turned 31.  You were saying?

He is not worth the money and cutting him is a possibility at any time--why not now?  He could play better with a better nose--but if his heart is not in it, I would cut him immediately---I think our DTs McCoy, KK, Poe--all first rounders that got paid---sucked.  Get that sorry ass attitude out of the locker room.

Archived