• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas

Jimmy

37 minutes ago, DamnItJake! said:

who knows!? till he starts producing he's not an Olsen..U guys are killing me on these topics!!

It's highly unlikely he'll be an Olsen no matter what. Olsen at his best for us put together a string of seasons that hardly any TE in the history of the game can match. If Olsen is your measuring stick, prepare to be disappointed. Likely prepare to be disappointed in TEs for a long time 

His development as a blocker is they key. At 6' 4", 260 lbs., he has the frame. It's just a matter of if he can improve his strength, hand technique and awareness picking up blitzes and stunts. If not we're going to show our hand to the defense with whether he or Manhertz is in the lineup.

On the other hand, Joe Brady has talked about liking to stick to 5-man protections so the opportunities will be there as I imagine that means a lot of 11 (and 10) personnel. We've seen his ability after the catch, but he'll also have to improve his route running and skill making contested catches over the middle and down the seem.

The word on him though was that he was really raw coming out of Indiana, so with a couple years learning from Olsen I have faith that he's going to make major strides in year 2. I see him going 50 catches for 500 yards as a baseline, but I could also imagine him breaking out and being the #3 weapon in the offense after Cmac and Moore, if Teddy doesn't take a lot of shots to Curtis deep.

Like with Shaq after TD left, I'm excited to see Ian step up this year now that he's the guy.

We've been expecting big things from Ian for years now. He had chances with Greg going down and didn't really seize them. I'm curious if the Tight End will be a big part of Joe Brady's offense. Will they focus on what Ian does well and not put him out there for things he doesn't do well? Has Christian McCaffrey's ability to catch the ball diminished our need for a pass catching Tight End?

7 hours ago, The Huddler said:

hes really good on madden for some reason despite his low rating. perhaps its predicting the future. 

Ovr is an awful way to judge a player in Madden. Unless their a OL or DL, then ratings hardly matter.

9 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

I'm hoping he beats out manhertz, if there are 2 TEs on the field I want both to have the ability to run routes and catch along with blocking. 

Manhertz may not even make the team now that Rivera is gone. He offers basically nothing in the passing game and his blocking isn't enough to justify taking a roster spot on the 53. To me, he is like the offensive version of Colin Jones.

1 hour ago, KendrickPanther said:

We've been expecting big things from Ian for years now. He had chances with Greg going down and didn't really seize them. I'm curious if the Tight End will be a big part of Joe Brady's offense. Will they focus on what Ian does well and not put him out there for things he doesn't do well? Has Christian McCaffrey's ability to catch the ball diminished our need for a pass catching Tight End?

He did well in 2018. Last year Rivera preferred Manhertz and the games he did start he had Clausen jr. throwing to him.

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Simple topic/thread:

Now that we committed to defense in the draft and offensive weapons in FA the next concern obviously is OL. With that said the TE position is going to be crucial. I believe in Ian and he has the tools to be great (maybe block a little better). He is going to be huge on 3rd down and goaline stances. He needs to really step up this year. Has the potential to be a true breakout player 

I hope you are right, but honestly, what have we really seen from him?

When Olsen was out of the game, we really didn't get much out of the position. Of course, it wasn't like Olsen was tearing up the league over the last couple of years, either. Between game planning, play calling, QB play and injuries, TE hasn't been what it used to be in Carolina. Olsen's still one of my all-time favorite Panthers, but those weren't his best years by a long shot. And Thomas couldn't make his way even against that level of performance.

I hope Ian comes out and just emerges into the light much like Olsen did when he came here from the Bears. The potential could be there, but I think it's going to really depend on coaching. If he really has the skills, I think the wide open offense could play well in his favor.

1 hour ago, theinstrumental said:

Was hoping for more out of him last year. If you're on the team with the second-most passing attempts in the league and you only get 30 targets then my hopes aren't high for you. 

Eh, I'm not so sure that was his fault. Norv doesn't use the TEs as much in his offense as many other offenses. Pretty much everywhere he's gone they've seen their TE production drop if I recall correctly.

Archived