• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what’s going to happen if a player tests positive during “season”

LegioX

If I'm remembering correctly the Bucs had an issue with MRSA a few years back. I'd assume it'd be similar to what happened there. A lot more attention to cleaning, hope only a small percentage test positive, and proceed cautiously. The NFL is too big to just cancel the season without at least trying. It's just like any other business dealing with risk. NFL will try lowering costs elsewhere so those funds can be put towards addressing the risk that is COVID-19.

51 minutes ago, bababoey said:

Probably the same thing that happened to the fighter that tested positive this past weekend for UFC.  Remove him and retest all the players.

The big difference is that those fighters on the UFC event weren't all practicing and training together on a daily basis. Football players on the same team are. Two of that fighter's cornermen also tested positive. That's what would happen on a football team. You get one positive and there will be more to soon follow. 

They are going to have to test players daily. If testing can catch it before someone becomes contagious then you just remove the player.

If not, the entire team goes on lockdown as that one person has probably infected the entire team.

Training camp will tell us how likely a full season is. Some team somewhere is going to have an outbreak during camp. Too many people involved.

21 minutes ago, Tbe said:

They are going to have to test players daily. If testing can catch it before someone becomes contagious then you just remove the player.

If not, the entire team goes on lockdown as that one person has probably infected the entire team.

Training camp will tell us how likely a full season is. Some team somewhere is going to have an outbreak during camp. Too many people involved.

I broke down the math on the testing awhile back just for regular season games and the numbers were staggering. To really do it right, you'd need to be testing during the week for practices too and that would drive those already large numbers up exponentially. 

1 hour ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

If I'm remembering correctly the Bucs had an issue with MRSA a few years back. I'd assume it'd be similar to what happened there. A lot more attention to cleaning, hope only a small percentage test positive, and proceed cautiously. The NFL is too big to just cancel the season without at least trying. It's just like any other business dealing with risk. NFL will try lowering costs elsewhere so those funds can be put towards addressing the risk that is COVID-19.

This is a terrible opinion. MRSA is not Covid-19. 

if this stuff isn’t under control by September (it won’t be), and they proceed with the season - if a player tests positive, players and teams will be quarantined and they will just end up where the NBA is now. What if Russell Wilson tests positive the night before a game? Also, despite what we are being told by the White House, there aren’t enough tests for everyone (right now) and testing is still an issue. It is unethical and wrong to frivolously test players 5x a week when there are citizens who need those tests. 

I think college football is in serious danger of being cancelled soon, but I do think the NFL is going to push forward and try to play games ultimately to have players testing positive and the season will be suspended or cancelled. 

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I think college football is in serious danger of being cancelled soon, but I do think the NFL is going to push forward and try to play games ultimately to have players testing positive and the season will be suspended or cancelled. 

I don't think college football with be cancelled soon. Not saying that it won't be cancelled eventually, but every AD I've heard interviewed (Arkansas, USC (SC), UT-Knox, and Alabama) is still optimistic and planning on things going forward. This morning Alabama's AD said they still plan for their game with USC (CA) to happen.

Just now, trueblade said:

I don't think college football with be cancelled soon. Not saying that it won't be cancelled eventually, but every AD I've heard interviewed (Arkansas, USC (SC), UT-Knox, and Alabama) is still optimistic and planning on things going forward. This morning Alabama's AD said they still plan for their game with USC (CA) to happen.

What do you expect the ADs and coaches to say when asked about this? Do you think they are going to admit that the season is in jeopardy thus effecting their bottom lines and revenue? Most athletic departments lose money to begin with and football is the main revenue sport; do you think these ADs inciting panic is good for business? If college FB is canned, that means basketball is probably not far behind. Would be death blows to a lot of athletic programs and the NCAA can not ask uncompensated, amateur students to risk their health for the NCAA’s revenue  

Archived