• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Icege

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Justin Fields would suit me just fine. Trey Lance is super intriguing. If we wait for Sam Howell in '22, that'd be fine too.

I have a feeling we will be picking in the 8-12 range and looking at LB or OL

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If only he had played in some other system so there were other numbers to look at...

oh wait...

2014 in Minnesota. 11.3 yards per completion. Tied for 24th in the NFL.

2015 in Minnesota. 11.1 yards per completion. 26th in the NFL. 

They had Adrian Peterson at RB, and Matt Kalil at LT and Norv Turner at OC. When he wasn't running for his life, he was dumping it off to one of the GOAT running backs. 

He might only be a stop gap, but I won't hold his time in Minnesota against him. 

No one is throwing deep behind our Oline.

They have always invested in protection for Brees, especially since he went over 30. Also, comparing arm strength of a guy still in his 20s to a guy who is 40 is highly suspect. Also, one of those players is a SB winner and the other has played 1 entire 16 game season in his career. But cool stat.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

No one is throwing deep behind our Oline.

They have always invested in protection for Brees, especially since he went over 30. Also, comparing arm strength of a guy still in his 20s to a guy who is 40 is highly suspect. Also, one of those players is a SB winner and the other has played 1 entire 16 game season in his career. But cool stat.

You seem to have missed the entire point.  Brees career shows the same pattern the entire time. You don't need to be Brett Farve to have a good offense.

19 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I think the point was that you don't have to in order to have a top offense.

It's a pretty  meaningless statistic. You don't get more points for throwing long passes. 

If you look over the years of longest completed air distance stats you see  a lot of bad and mediocre QBs and teams involoved.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#max-completed-air-distance

Also looking over the avg completed air yards you see the same.  There's no real correlation between pass depth and quality of offense. 

Brady is 11.7 career

Brees is 11.3 career

Rogers is 12 career

I definitely agree that it's not the end all be all.

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If only he had played in some other system so there were other numbers to look at...

oh wait...

2014 in Minnesota. 11.3 yards per completion. Tied for 24th in the NFL.

2015 in Minnesota. 11.1 yards per completion. 26th in the NFL. 

Who was the OC for Minnesota those years?

I think a lot of you are confusing can't throw deep with doesn't throw deep much.  Bridgewater had a few deep throws in New Orleans last year, and showed good touch and accuracy on them, for the most part.  And the reality is that we haven't had the ability to consistently throw the ball deep for the last two years, so TB will likely be an improvement in that area.  

This is PFF, but a decent comment nonetheless.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-deep-passing

You have to go a long way back to get a large enough sample size for Teddy Bridgewater, to the point those games likely mean nothing anymore, but the alternative was including Kyle Allen, which just doesn’t seem like fair use of anybody’s brainpower. Allen was awful when it came to deep passing, but Bridgewater — much like Carr — was actually good at it when he convinced himself to actually throw deep. The encouraging sign for Panthers fans is that after a couple of games, Bridgewater did start to open up and take more shots, but even with those, only Garoppolo threw it deep less often.

Imo, Bridgewater can throw it deep, he just doesn't try it very often.  

50 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

drew brees is also a game manager these days TBH

saints offensive gameplan is: throw slants to mike thomas or dump off to kamara

Yep, Brees is now 40+.  It’s like comparing someone to Tom Brady at this stage.   Gameplans are designee around the fact they have 40+ year old arms. 

Teddy doesn’t have the Favre, Delhomme mindset.   That doesn’t mean it is a bad thing. 

14 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

You seem to have missed the entire point.  Brees career shows the same pattern the entire time. You don't need to be Brett Farve to have a good offense.

Well duh, T Dilfer has a SB ring. Pretending it hurts to justify Teddy is lame tho. Just let him play before hoping he is a Brees or Brady short passing HOFer.

39 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

They had Adrian Peterson at RB, and Matt Kalil at LT and Norv Turner at OC. When he wasn't running for his life, he was dumping it off to one of the GOAT running backs. 

He might only be a stop gap, but I won't hold his time in Minnesota against him. 

so basically between his time in minnesota and new orleans (and the brutal non-contact injury) there is very little evidence that this quarterback who will turn 28 during this season can consistently push the ball downfield at the professional level. got it.

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

We may get Lawrence. If there is enough season I'm pretty sure he will slip behind Fields and maybe Lance.  I don't want any part of him.

It's possible. Zero people would've predicted last year at this time that Joe Burrow would set the world on fire and be the #1 overall pick in this year's draft.

Archived