• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All of you were right about Cam

AceBoogie

If there's one thing being a longtime fan of the NFL will help get you over, it's hero worship. You repeatedly see the people you thought were superhuman come back to earth due to age, injury, etc. And it disappoints you every single time.

And yes, it was always going to happen to Newton. The way Rivera played him probably made it more likely that it would happen sooner rather than later. To his credit, Newton lasted longer than some others might have in his circumstances, but coming to this point was always inevitable.

It sucks, but that's reality.

48 minutes ago, raz said:

his personality has completely changed now that he's being held accountable.

I think the fact that he is fully aware of his own career longevity may be a bigger factor. 

New England was always on the list of both best and worst places to land. 

The pluses were a stable environment with a "proven system" in place, and Belichick and company as coaches. 

The worst is that following "a legend" is always difficult, sometimes impossible.  Even though many Pats fans thought Brady had held on too long, following him will get comparisons to him in his prime, not as he walked out the door.  It is almost always a no-win situation.  Even Steve Young did not have unanimous acceptance when he followed Montana in San Francisco, including after they won a Superb Owl with him at the helm.

There are a lot of potentially realities setting in. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If there's one thing being a longtime fan of the NFL will help get you over, it's hero worship. You repeatedly see the people you thought were superhuman come back to earth due to age, injury, etc. And it disappoints you every single time.

And yes, it was always going to happen to Newton. The way Rivera played him probably made it more likely that it would happen sooner rather than later. To his credit, Newton lasted longer than some others might have in his circumstances, but coming to this point was always inevitable.

It sucks, but that's reality.

It's early but New England is asking him to rush more per game than at any point in his Carolina career. There is a reason Newton is asked to run by every OC that ever coached him. He's good at it and without running you are greatly limiting his effectiveness.  That wasn't simply a Rivera thing, he doesn't call offensive plays.

Cam actually played well in yesterday’s game, 3 of his longest passes were called back due to penalties, add those and he completed about 5 passes over 15 yards in 30 mph winds throwing to the worst WR core in the league. Then add on the really safe gameplan, Cam did all was asked of him. I didn’t see one errand throw which he complete misses a receiver by a mile or missed a wide open read.

Josh Allen on the other hand with a stacked WR core didn’t complete a single pass over 15 yards

38 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Cam actually played well in yesterday’s game, 3 of his longest passes were called back due to penalties, add those and he completed about 5 passes over 15 yards in 30 mph winds throwing to the worst WR core in the league. Then add on the really safe gameplan, Cam did all was asked of him. I didn’t see one errand throw which he complete misses a receiver by a mile or missed a wide open read.

Josh Allen on the other hand with a stacked WR core didn’t complete a single pass over 15 yards

You're making facts against a bunch of folks who didn't watch a single snap from that game but checked the box score/twitter and rushed in here to throw dirt on his grave.

Cam could go 0/30 for 0 yds, throw 2 INTs, fumble twice, rush for 50 with a TD in a loss and a bunch of folks will still blame the wind (omg lol), lack of elite HOF WRs, yellow hankies, and coaching. Meanwhile TB has a piss poor O-Line, rookie coach, and a D that can't stop a fly with a machine gun but those same folk blame it all on Ted.

If you're gonna tell dippy doo doo Kyle Allen to hold on to the damn ball you gotta tell Cam the same thing. Cam lost the game. Period. He should BALL OUT against the Jets and a whole new thread of bickering will commence. Fun times.

I’ve been saying for weeks to quit pushing the shoulder narrative cause if you watched the games that’s not the case. 

now we got someone saying he’s lost speed.....cam was never speedy like Vick or Lamar...he’s a power back when it comes running.

he threw the ball fine yesterday, the biggest issue was the fumble.  

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

I don't agree Cam played well.  Was he as bad as some posters here indicate? No.  Not even close. But I did watch enough of his play to say that "played well" is an overstatement, and that if you didn't see one errant throw, you either watched even less of the game than I did or have really rose-colored glasses on. 

Cam definitely improved as the game went on, though he never seemed like a threat deep at all in this game or... really, since Seattle (and last week he had plenty of receivers open deep... but I'm willing to excuse that the previous 2 weeks were still related to getting over an illness and being away from the team).  Cam was not bad, though, and with a bit more help I think he has the Patriots on top of that division all the same.

1 minute ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I’ve been saying for weeks to quit pushing the shoulder narrative cause if you watched the games that’s not the case. 

now we got someone saying he’s lost speed.....cam was never speedy like Vick or Lamar...he’s a power back when it comes running.

he threw the ball fine yesterday, the biggest issue was the fumble.  

Cam is fine to about 15 yards.  Nice zip and can fit the ball in tight windows it seems.  Against Seattle he had 4 completions >20 yards.  Against all other opponents, he only has 3 total.  Seattle has a terrible pass defense, and Buffalo does not, but that is uncharacteristic for Cam all the same.  He doesn't look like himself.  And this isn't a short passing offense he's in either. 

I dunno, I don't know if there is something wrong with his shoulder or what, but he was missing open receivers last week and against Denver.  This week though, Buffalo just took his shitty receivers out of the game entirely and dared him to beat them with his legs or short throws.

Archived