• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Justin Herbert

shaq

On 11/9/2020 at 12:12 AM, shaq said:

Anyone remember the rumor that Hurney had a draft crush on Justin Herbert? 

Genuine question if we had either traded up or he had fallen one pick to us what would our current situation be right now?

Would Teddy still be starting?

No Teddy would not be starting.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Because we are 3-6 with a roster full of practice squad players?

A) Impossible. TB is throwing to future HOFers, with the best OLine ever, with the best coaching staff ever, and a D like OMGZZZ.

2) What purpose does playing What If even serve?

D) Whoever decided that tomatoes are a fruit is stupid.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:22 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I tend to prefer that guys sit a year if it's possible.

Hell, Mahomes did.

Mahomes is the only recent QB with a high draft pick I remember sitting. I’m not sure making that sort of investment trading up that Herbert would’ve.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:16 AM, TikTOK said:

Chargers’ OL suck too. For goodness sake, please stop hating on our OL. They weren’t that bad yesterday. And there was a time this season that this OL didn’t give up a single sack for 2-3 weeks straight. 

On 11/9/2020 at 6:19 AM, TikTOK said:

We should’ve made a trade for Herbert or Tua. This team would be in playoff contention with Herbert. We’re wasting CMC’s career away right now. We need to trade CMC at the end of the season if Rhule’s plan is having Bridgwater as the long term answer. 

LAC oline is awful. But the Panther’s Oline rank is inflated by one of the, if not the  quickest releases and schemes in the league as well as winning 6v4, 5v3 defensive schemes that challenge the secondary...and rightly so.

Also you’re implying the Panthers could be a contender with Herbert or Tua. In doing so, they’d defy NFL history having being one of the only few teams in the past two decades of contenders, 40+ teams, that have a defense ranked in the bottom third of the NFL who all 3 or 4 teams by the way had a HOF QB.

I’m going to say no, we would have defied that history and be the first to do it with a rookie/non HOF QB. To be a contender the Panthers have much more missing that just having a QB like Tua or Herbert.

On 11/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Khyber53 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. And I don't think we can fully judge Teddy without taking the line play into context. 

There are great weapons in the run game, excellent wide receivers, good play calling -- but that line, while it isn't giving up massive sacks right now it just looks weak and unable to impose its will on the opponents. Tough to play QB back there for anyone. Still, it's better than last year's.

Part of the reason the line isn't giving up more sacks is Teddy's pocket presence and scrambling ability. Is he getting sacked all the time? No. Is he facing pressure constantly that disrupts what he's trying to do? Some weeks yes and others no but this past week was definitely yes. 

40 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Part of the reason the line isn't giving up more sacks is Teddy's pocket presence and scrambling ability. Is he getting sacked all the time? No. Is he facing pressure constantly that disrupts what he's trying to do? Some weeks yes and others no but this past week was definitely yes. 

Exactly! He's doing what a good, experienced QB would do! Because, well, he is a good, experienced QB. Fix that line and you'll see something great.

28 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Exactly! He's doing what a good, experienced QB would do! Because, well, he is a good, experienced QB. Fix that line and you'll see something great.

I'm not entirely sold that we'll see something great. I think that remains to be seen. What I am sold on is the notion that we have little chance to see something great behind the line as currently configured. For all those who want to make it all about Teddy, I would remind them that even great QB's look average to bad when faced with a strong pass rush and a pourous offensive line.  Does this automatically mean Teddy is great? No, but it's foolish to look at the ultimate team sport with the highest specialization of labor and skill,  and make the determination that less than spectacular QB performance is solely about the QB. It is a team effort.

Has Teddy missed Moore wide open on a number of occasions this season? There is strong evidence to indicate that's the case. Is that owing to his being distracted by a pass rush his line at times seems incapable of slowing down? There is only one way to find out. Fix the line.

Archived