• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

20+ yards air completions

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Icege said:

Pretty impressive that he's connecting so frequently on these deep passes considering he has little to no time to let the play develop due to the porous OL.

Teddy currently has the 9th lowest pressure rate in the NFL (link below). His pocket time, representing time to throw or time pocket collapses, is also 9th but the overall spread from lowest to 10% more time is .4 seconds with Teddy right in the middle.

The pressure does not appear statistically bad. That said I would be interested to know what is statistically significant in these datasets. Would also be interested in seeing this vs depth of target/air yards but Teddy is 28th in average air yards per attempt and completion (same link, 'Air yards' tab) and 2nd in YAC, 9th in YAC per completion.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

teddy is pretty good, but every time you need him to be more than pretty good he just ends up being pretty good 

Couldn’t sum up Teddy any better. I guess if we could build a good enough team around the QB that we only ever need him to be pretty good then we’d be fine with Teddy. But that’s much less likely to happen than to upgrade at QB.

the can't throw long is BS.  the thing i think i'm seeing, and i'm no expert, is he just goes the wrong way in the pocket a lot.  they call that pocket presence i think.  idk, maybe someone else had ideas on this but it kinda drives me crazy.  like, there's room teddy but you just keep moving the wrong way. if he can figure that out he would be much better.  and maybe i'm wrong

20 minutes ago, Zod said:

I'm just hoping this will put to rest the "Tedur cant threwr long" narrative that is disproven with simple facts. Plenty to complain about with Teddy. But he can throw long passes. 

It isn't that simple though.  

And look, I'm not even trying to get into the whole "is Teddy a good deep ball passer?" argument because anything that can be said, has been said, on both sides.

But this leaderboard doesn't tell the whole story.  If it was as simple as it being simple facts, then the conclusion that could be drawn is that Teddy Bridgewater is as good of a deep passer as Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson, and on par with Patrick Mahomes.  But obviously anyone who watches football knows that isn't true.

I don't think Teddy is a bad deep ball passer.  But he's definitely not "top 10 at throwing deep" good as the rankings would imply.  He's middle-of-the-pack.  He'll make the throws then they are available to him deep (a credit to both Teddy and Brady), but not much more.

And that isn't a bad thing.  Nobody is asking him to be Russ or Watson or Mahomes.  He's done a very good job playing within the system.  But I also think it is valid to ponder how much better the offense could be if we had someone who could push it down the field at will.  

37 minutes ago, Zod said:

I'm just hoping this will put to rest the "Tedur cant threwr long" narrative that is disproven with simple facts. Plenty to complain about with Teddy. But he can throw long passes. 

Literally every NFL QB can complete passes at 20 yards. That depth may be called 'deep' but it's is not a field-flipping momentum-changing pass... that doesn't even get into enemy territory after a touchback. That's what Teddy's game consistently lacks and what truly stretches defenses.

I wonder if anyone tracks, say, 30 or 40 yard throws. Would be interesting to see.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

It isn't that simple though.  

And look, I'm not even trying to get into the whole "is Teddy a good deep ball passer?" argument because anything that can be said, has been said, on both sides.

But this leaderboard doesn't tell the whole story.  If it was as simple as it being simple facts, then the conclusion that could be drawn is that Teddy Bridgewater is as good of a deep passer as Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson, and on par with Patrick Mahomes.  But obviously anyone who watches football knows that isn't true.

I don't think Teddy is a bad deep ball passer.  But he's definitely not "top 10 at throwing deep" good as the rankings would imply.  He's middle-of-the-pack.  He'll make the throws then they are available to him deep (a credit to both Teddy and Brady), but not much more.

And that isn't a bad thing.  Nobody is asking him to be Russ or Watson or Mahomes.  He's done a very good job playing within the system.  But I also think it is valid to ponder how much better the offense could be if we had someone who could push it down the field at will.  

I don't think anyone could've said it better. 

Teddy is also like 27th in intended air yard per pass attempt while also being 2nd in yards after catch while having the 9th most yards after catch per completion. 

There are times late in games we need to have more of a sense of urgency or air it out deep and we tend to sit in that pass it just past the line of scrimmage or within five yards of it too often. 

7 minutes ago, Varking said:

Teddy is also like 27th in intended air yard per pass attempt while also being 2nd in yards after catch while having the 9th most yards after catch per completion. 

There are times late in games we need to have more of a sense of urgency or air it out deep and we tend to sit in that pass it just past the line of scrimmage or within five yards of it too often. 

To his defense, he isnt getting a lot of time in the pocket or clean throws late in games.

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

Teddy currently has the 9th lowest pressure rate in the NFL (link below). His pocket time, representing time to throw or time pocket collapses, is also 9th but the overall spread from lowest to 10% more time is .4 seconds with Teddy right in the middle.

The pressure does not appear statistically bad. That said I would be interested to know what is statistically significant in these datasets. Would also be interested in seeing this vs depth of target/air yards but Teddy is 28th in average air yards per attempt and completion (same link, 'Air yards' tab) and 2nd in YAC, 9th in YAC per completion.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

26 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

To his defense, he isnt getting a lot of time in the pocket or clean throws late in games.

He is though.

5 hours ago, BrianS said:

We get to the playoffs, championship game, SB . . . whatever . . . with a talented team . . . comes down to the end of the game and you need a drive to win it.  Is TB5 your guy?  I dunno man, that situation scares me.

Teddy is better than most when it matters. Pressure doesn’t faze him. If there was a good line in front of him he would excel in the moments that matter most. Just ask Mike Zimmer. He and Matt had a good conversation about Teddy. Some people here don’t like this but Rhuke likes Teddy a lot. And he knows that when the line gets upgraded this offseason the team is going to make a major leap forward.

Archived