• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oh man. Oh boy. This team: A midseason review

Rags

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm fine with extending Mike Davis for a couple of years for backup RB money. The reality though is that backup RB money is practically nothing. It's very possible some team will want him as a stop gap starter. He's not gonna get big money by any means, but someone will probably be willing to pay him more than we should.

Hey if we land a comp pick for him and get a low rd replacement in the draft.... I am ok with it. I would rather keep him if we can at a decent price since he catches so well and actually blocks too.

14 minutes ago, manu4t said:

Hey if we land a comp pick for him and get a low rd replacement in the draft.... I am ok with it. I would rather keep him if we can at a decent price since he catches so well and actually blocks too.

He’s not going to get a contract worth near comp pick considerations. No one making him a starter. There are RBs like him everywhere. He just got the playing time. Offer him 1.5M for a year and nothing more. Plenty of young cheap options that could do the same for less. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He’s not going to get a contract worth near comp pick considerations. No one making him a starter. There are RBs like him everywhere. He just got the playing time. Offer him 1.5M for a year and nothing more. Plenty of young cheap options that could do the same for less. 

Yep. Pretty much this. Despite his success here, he has less value for us simply because when CMC is healthy he rarely comes off the field. He'll have more value for a team that plans to use more of a committee approach.

Pretty good read, thanks Rags.  It was long, but I am on one of the world's longest, most boring web conferences, so I had plenty of time.

Did any of us ever think we would say WR's were not a position we were lacking, much less a strength?

We have two units that need to be completely rebuilt, and three if you consider TE's separate from WR's (the generic "receiving corps). 

As said, the OL consists of Moton and a healthy Okung, however often that happens.  That group has been neglected for a long time, and the only logic I can come up with is Hurney thinks you have to pay those guys by the pound.

The LBs are severely lacking.  Maybe Shaq looks better if there is somebody strong back there with him, but at this point, I don't expect him to ever get beyond the line of "okay."

We need secondary help, could probably use some DL depth, and need to keep our eyes on QBs, but I think those things are in less of a "pure famine" mode than the OL, LBs, and potentially a TE. 

Watching Rudolph sit in the seams of the Bears defense last night on a few plays had me shaking my head.

Good post Spike Spiegel! I agree with.. pretty much all of your assessments besides a couple.

Regarding Marty Hurney, he doesn't belong anywhere near the role of GM. He has a good eye for talent outside of his... really bad man crushes that he has occasionally but even still, i'd love to keep his as a head scout or director of scouting. Maybe create a "First Round Pick Selector" role or something, lol. I do think he has a place in an NFL front office though, and I don't think we should just fire him out of a cannon entirely although I wouldn't be mad if we did. Just don't extend him as GM.

I also don't think that I agree that moving on from Cam was the correct move: He has 10 TDs to 8 total turnovers in New England this year with a very pourous supporting cast. His TD-Int looks bad on paper; but that's mostly because BB knows better than to force a square peg into a round hole and spam runs him inside the 10 as a result of NE having no good red zone threats. He's had a lot of games this year where he did well through the air but had no passing TDs, instead having them substituted by rushing ones. Still, he's not the same Cam we once knew and loved, and it would really have just been a marginal upgrade over Teddy regardless. 

Also, I think Burns-Moore is actually a race for our second best player at this point. DJ might be better at his position, but Burns is absolutely integral to our defense. Hope to see DJ get more targets regardless though.

Agree with nearly everything except the coaches, especially snow and Marty. 

Snow needs to move to Special Assistant and we need a real DC. Since day one OC's have had his poo figured out and its only getting worse. The scheme ain't saving anything and his unit isn't playing like one. It's clear his ceiling was college and probably not even HC. Nothing personal but I see him potentially holding Rhule back in the seasons to come. Better to cut the dead weight now.

The only caveat, maybe he's been playing a shitty college defense on purpose this entire season because of personnel and will turn into a mad genius next season. But I'm not banking on it from the way he talks compared to what we see on the field and frankly that doesn't do any favors to his young defense. The vets are pissed on defense, you could see it in Shaq, Burns among others at the end of the game, that starts with and ends with Snow, they know the unit isn't working together and the scheme is not helping them no matter how shitty the personnel is. They should be running the best poo he can come up with. That way you can actually blame personnel but its a learning experience. Not handicapping them by not introducing NFL caliber poo. If I was Tepper the only way Snow should be allowed a second season at DC is if they get rid of Tre, Whitehead and pick up Micah Parsons and a legit CB.

Rhule is learning but still is screaming college, thats a given though and he gets a pass until next season if it's still like that after that then my biggest fear with Rhule will have come true.

Brady I feel is just getting his sea-legs and will get better and better, especially with a OL to protect who ever is the QB.

Obviously on Marty... FUG. MARTY. HURNEY. HE NEEDS TO GTFO(Or be moved to president or something but anything that keeps him away from contracts and most scouting.)

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You lost me at “Teddy is good, Teddy is accurate, I’m glad we replaced Cam with him”. That’s just ludicrous on all counts. 

Let me put it like this.

Teddy is a stable part of our whole system. We work with him. We don't have to worry about him too hard. The offense should work as planned under him. It works. Sometimes he does things that exceed expectations. But it's a part that's gonna get just enough. Not more. 

Am I happy we had to move on from Cam? Fuuuuck no. But with how this offense needs honest anal right now we didn't need an inconsistent QB at the helm right now.

Teddy's not inconsistent. He's consistently mediocre

Heard the Steve smith interview of fnz yesterday

he said panthers fans 

1  need to lower our expectations 

2  the team is exactly what it should be for a rebuild

3  it will be better next year but not by muc

4  Rhule is installing his culture and his process 

5  fans need to stop over reacting 

I think he is right

I’ve overreacted  because occasionally I think they have potential  against teams that are far better and they don’t.  Everything has to align right for them to win a game   That seldom happens when the talent just isn’t there   

year three will be the year for overreacting  not year one or two  going to cool my expectations in this team   I pray they draft a better QB and build around that QB and not Teddy   Teddy needs perfect on both sides of the ball  and the NFL isn’t a game of perfect 

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

Heard the Steve smith interview of fnz yesterday

he said panthers fans 

1  need to lower our expectations 

2  the team is exactly what it should be for a rebuild

3  it will be better next year but not by muc

4  Rhule is installing his culture and his process 

5  fans need to stop over reacting 

I think he is right

I’ve overreacted  because occasionally I think they have potential  against teams that are far better and they don’t.  Everything has to align right for them to win a game   That seldom happens when the talent just isn’t there   

year three will be the year for overreacting  not year one or two  going to cool my expectations in this team   I pray they draft a better QB and build around that QB and not Teddy   Teddy needs perfect on both sides of the ball  and the NFL isn’t a game of perfect

For whatever reason, Panthers games have been aired in my market more this year than anytime in the last three.  I have been fully on board with the idea that the wins and losses this season do not matter near as much as progress, some of which is hard to spot at times.  I even laid out what my version of success this season would be, and it did not involve wins and losses but young talent developing and looking like it was the basis for our future, coaching that puts us into a position to steal games we perhaps should lose, etc.

It is hard to assess much with some of the holes we have on the roster......and I knew that would be the case coming in.  Still, we all get that urge to fire a fastball at the TV every once in while.  I could have gone through six TVs in the second Atlanta game.

Archived