• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Zach Wilson becoming the consensus Huddle pick?

Jeremy Igo

On 12/9/2020 at 7:00 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

I just hope that a QB we really like is available. If that's Wilson, great. If it's Lance or Fields, that's great too.

This is what people aren't understanding.

I think we can all agree Trevor is the consensus #1 QB among teams.

The #2 QB probably has a bit more variance among teams, I would guess most have Fields, but a few might have Lance and Wilson.

QB3 and QB 4 probably have even more variance among Lance and Wilson and the occasional Fields.

Also it seems like those 4 are the consensus top 4 and then the next tier is guys like Trask and Jones.

28 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

Give me Kyle Pitts. Don’t pass up a generational talent for a question mark at quarterback. This kid is going to be a stud. Let Curtis Samuel walk, franchise Taylor Moton, draft OL, and sign free agent OL. And find a kicker FFS...

Every draft prospect is a question mark. There's no such thing as a sure thing. If you need a franchise QB and you think there's one on the board, you gotta roll the dice. The greatest TE in the history of the game isn't going to move the needle much by himself. 

When have we ever drafted QBs in round 1:  Kerry Collins and Cam Newton.  They both started, played in Super Bowls, etc. 

I think today's NFL QB needs a solid line and weapons.  Give an average QB that, and he becomes a good QB.  Give a good QB that, and he becomes great.

I think Rhule could win with any of the top 4-but if you want to wait, there are some interesting options later, since we have a QB now that can play while a QB develops.   Not ideal, but neither is overdrafting a QB talent and not having the pieces in place.  We need a TE, LT, G and maybe a WR and C (Paradis at $10m is sickening).

Would it not be interesting if we drafted all OFFENSE this time?  I doubt it--still need a CB, MLB, and S--DT combo:)

1 hour ago, FattyFatFat said:

Give me Kyle Pitts. Don’t pass up a generational talent for a question mark at quarterback. This kid is going to be a stud. Let Curtis Samuel walk, franchise Taylor Moton, draft OL, and sign free agent OL. And find a kicker FFS...

When was the last time a round 1 tight end actually changed the entire outlook of an offense? All the top tight ends were 2nd round or later. 

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every draft prospect is a question mark. There's no such thing as a sure thing. If you need a franchise QB and you think there's one on the board, you gotta roll the dice. The greatest TE in the history of the game isn't going to move the needle much by himself. 

I get what you’re saying, George. Kyle Pitts is less of a tight end than a huge uncover-able receiver in a tight ends frame. Zach Wilson is a nice player with good arm talent and quickness who makes some questionable decisions. Add that with our trash O-line (thanks Marty) and he’s likely to get Joe Burrowed before he gets going. Best player available in the first round. And if we’re talking about Pitts vs Wilson,  it’s not even close.  ZW will need the right system as well as a line to protect him and probably a little time to develop. I don’t see him coming into the league day one and carrying a franchise.  I compare Pitts to DKM. I compare ZW to Kyle Allen. 

55 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

I get what you’re saying, George. Kyle Pitts is less of a tight end than a huge uncover-able receiver in a tight ends frame. Zach Wilson is a nice player with good arm talent and quickness who makes some questionable decisions. Add that with our trash O-line (thanks Marty) and he’s likely to get Joe Burrowed before he gets going. Best player available in the first round. And if we’re talking about Pitts vs Wilson,  it’s not even close.  ZW will need the right system as well as a line to protect him and probably a little time to develop. I don’t see him coming into the league day one and carrying a franchise.  I compare Pitts to DKM. I compare ZW to Kyle Allen. 

I think Pitts is a great prospect. But given our situation there's no way I'd take him over a guy who we think could be a franchise QB (assuming that's what we think of Wilson).

The problem here is people are picking who they like not whether or not Wilson might be the best QB to run a west coast precision passing attack that we run. Will Brady still be here and will we keep the same system. If so then we should ask which of the draft picks run that system. Will we find the QB and revolve the system to them or do what Brady did before which is use his system and then find a QB who can run that system. It may not be who is the best player but who is the best player for our system.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

When was the last time a round 1 tight end actually changed the entire outlook of an offense? All the top tight ends were 2nd round or later. 

I have nothing against Kyle Pitts, but I have to admit the chatter about him kind of reminds me of Jimmy Graham.

Graham has generated Super Bowl chatter for the Saints, the Seahawks and the Packers, but not only has he not won a Super Bowl, he hasn't even played in one.

Both the Saints and Seahawks won their Super Bowls the year before acquiring him, and neither went back with him. Now he's on the Bears, and I don't think anybody is seriously talking Super Bowl for them right now.

Pitts might be different, but it's kinda hard not to notice the similarities.

2 hours ago, FattyFatFat said:

You’re looking at him as a traditional TE. He’s not. 

There was a TE we selected a few years back that became a converted receiver. Remember him? No thanks. Granted, Pitts seems to be bigger—listed at 240 but I doubt he’s even 230. 

I’ve looked it up, but haven’t seen any highlights that display his blocking abilities. The reason guys like Kelce, Kittle and Andrews play so well is because defenses have to put a linebacker on them. If Pitts can’t block well (look at Thad Moss this past year) then teams will line up a DB and shut him down.

16 hours ago, FattyFatFat said:

OJ Howard was the last “can’t miss” TE that was drafted and he has been nothing special. Unfortunately every pick will have risk with it. While we should have a high pick and Teddy under contract for at least one more year, QB makes the most sense for risk/reward. I mean you could potentially turn the franchise around very quickly if it’s a hit. Having Teddy to ease the  rookie in should be perfect. Hopefully our top priority is a young QB and offensive line this offseason. I’ll take Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Trask, or even Newman (with a later pick) as long as our staff has confidence in any of them.

14 hours ago, Jesse said:

There was a TE we selected a few years back that became a converted receiver. Remember him? No thanks. Granted, Pitts seems to be bigger—listed at 240 but I doubt he’s even 230. 

I’ve looked it up, but haven’t seen any highlights that display his blocking abilities. The reason guys like Kelce, Kittle and Andrews play so well is because defenses have to put a linebacker on them. If Pitts can’t block well (look at Thad Moss this past year) then teams will line up a DB and shut him down.

Pitts isn’t a bad blocker. When he was younger we used him at WR mostly. He’s been in on plenty of plays this year as a blocker and not gotten beat. That being said it hasn’t matter who has tried to cover him this year, they can’t. We shouldn’t compare him to previous tight ends because none of them have ever had the production he’s having this year. He’s running great routes, he’s running away from people, he’s catching almost anything close to him, and he’s blocked plenty. 

Kyle Pitts is 6’6 and 246 poinds

5.5 games played

36 catches

641 yards

11 touchdowns

71 yard long. 

He came out before the end of the first half against UGA due to getting hit via Targeting and he played just two drives against Mizzou. He’s been disgusting. 

Archived