• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A horrible mistake.

Jeremy Igo

Beane was once one of my sources on here, although he never revealed anything he shouldn't--he would say, "we are high on....."  pertaining to the draft, or "there is a WR from Southern...."  I got 95% of my info second hand, mutual friend. He did share that the presser that featured Richardson's pie chart was embarrassing, and did not respond when asked if that is what sent Andrew Luck back to Stanford---he went to South Stanly High School and a good friend of mine stayed in touch with him---I used to get my car inspected where he did and had a chat with him for about 20 minutes once--he is very knowledgeable and simplistically insightful--most of this was before he was assistant GM and working out trades-- I wonder how much of Hurney's success was Beane?

I had to go from the inspection station to Belk in Albemarle to get something for my wife that day and I bumped into Mike Turgovak (sp?).  I recall it was during a bye week and the Panthers were a disappointing 4-4 at the time.  I think I offended Turgovak.  He was there just roaming around like a zombie as his wife was shopping, and when I saw him, he was looking at trinkets--little unicorns and stuff.  I did not let that go.  He was nice, but I think I took it too far.  So later, i was telling my wife about it and my son said, "Oh, his daughter is in my class."  So I realized that he was not looking for porcelain unicorns for himself, but quite possibly his daughter.  I think he went to Green Bay the following year.  I like to think that I had nothing to do with that, but you never know.  It was a wild day.

Is there anything stating that he definitely wanted to stay here? I'm not saying he didn't want to stay but that's always the wild card in these situations, as we typically assume the person/player was always all-in on their current organization.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not enough is talked about Jerry Richardson letting Brandon Beane walk just weeks before Richardson fired Gettleman.

We could have had one of the better young GMs in the league. A Carolina guy. Instead, we had "interim" GM Marty Hurney.

Oooh weee mayne. 

This when JR was on his way out.  I believe that this was planned.  Everyone knew Beane was a hot commodity and was going to get a job soon.  JR waited until Beane got hired and then fired Gettleman.   He's was a successful businessman and you don't fire  a good employee because they pissed you off.  I think JR was going to can him well before the beef.  He just waiting until Beane was gone before doing it.

Than fugged us a second time by rehiring Marty "I love my vets" Hurney. 

Worst part about it is Tepper didn't can him after he got the team. 

Archived