• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tbe Real Question Should Be What Would It Take to Move Up to #2

Daddy_Uncle

I want to be clear that I think it would be a mistake to move up in the draft. Trading up to #1 will never happen so I don't understand why people are spending any energy discussing it. If it did, it would possibly be the worst trade of all time. So the real question should be what would it take to move up to #2 to get who we want after Lizard person is taken #1. 

No one besides Lawrence is worth trading up for if we already had a top 5 pick . #2 is an even more silly idea than trading up for #1 unless the Panthers are in love with Fields for some reason .

No telling which of Fields , Lance, or Wilson is going to be great. At least one of them will probably be a bust , possible a couple of them . Really hard to say which one will be the best long term . There isn't a huge drop off talent wise among the three. So you might as well sit on #4 or #5 overall and draft the dude that falls in your lap and not have to trade the farm for no reason (ala Bears for Trubisky)

Moving up for a QB is a non-starter.  We're already so close to the top, that it doesn't make any logical sense.  Jets and Jags both need a QB, so you aren't going to move either of those for anything remotely like a reasonable amount of capital.  Swapping with Cincy doesn't make sense, because they aren't going to take a QB.  They're going to take Sewell.  The only reason you might swap with Cincy is if you are worried someone from farther down might do it.  And if you're Cincy, you've seen that Burrow looks good, but needs some protection, are you really willing to trade back more than a slot or two and risk losing a guy who is a clear franchise LT?

Once you realize that the top three are sitting where they are and unlikely to move for anything less than a Ricky Williams, the reality becomes obvious.  We're going to be drafting either four or five at this point.  Two QB's and Sewell are coming off the board ahead of us.  Dallas is a complete wildcard.  Logic says that the Cowboys retain Prescott, but this is Jerry World.  If they don't go QB, they are looking at LT, DB or DL.  

And then we're up.  There is no reasonable scenario where we get one of the first two QB's off the board.  It all comes down to other team evaluations of the Wilson vs Fields variety.  If the Jags like Wilson better than Fields, then it's pretty likely we'll get an opportunity to draft Fields.  If the Jags like Fields better, pretty likely we'll have the opportunity to draft Wilson.

Don't bother with Lance.  He may turn into a good prospect, but his profile doesn't fit the Matt Rhule / Joe Brady style of offense.  When you're spending high draft capital, you don't draft a guy so you can change your offense, you draft a guy who fits your offense.  If We don't like "the guy" who is left for us at our slot, we BPA or slide back.  Trask might be a good pick, but not at 4-5.

Our best case scenario is the third QB off the board, which depends on the Jags evaluation of Wilson / Fields.  Unless something really unlikely happens and the Jags decide to go Lance.  It's crazy to me, but it could happen.  Trubisky happened after all.

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Depends on who you are moving to 2 to take. I saw Fields throw for the first time yesterday and my first thought was he has the arm strength of TB. If we end up having Fields/Wilson/who ever as 2a,2b, then we might have to move up to 3 to prevent someone from leapfrogging us. 

Remember last time a team pulled that move? Chicago moving up from 3 to 2 to guarantee their pick of Trubisky, while Mahomes and Watson got picked several picks later. Pretty sure if we end up being that stupid to repeat the same strategy, it'll look just as bad as Chicago's decision in 2017.

Meanwhile, people were clamoring for Miami to do the same thing to guarantee Tua. They stayed put, got Tua anyway and used the extra picks to shore up their team and are competing for a playoff spot. Imagine if they had moved up to 2 for Tua even though Herbert looks to be the better qb. 

Look, pretty much everyone agrees this is a draft with 1 bona fide star qb prospect and a bunch of upside guys with question marks. Trading up to pick 1 of those tier 2 guys when chances are no one else is going to be that desperate to take one is downright foolish.

4 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Remember last time a team pulled that move? Chicago moving up from 3 to 2 to guarantee their pick of Trubisky, while Mahomes and Watson got picked several picks later. Pretty sure if we end up being that stupid to repeat the same strategy, it'll look just as bad as Chicago's decision in 2017.

Meanwhile, people were clamoring for Miami to do the same thing to guarantee Tua. They stayed put, got Tua anyway and used the extra picks to shore up their team and are competing for a playoff spot. Imagine if they had moved up to 2 for Tua even though Herbert looks to be the better qb. 

Look, pretty much everyone agrees this is a draft with 1 bona fide star qb prospect and a bunch of upside guys with question marks. Trading up to pick 1 of those tier 2 guys when chances are no one else is going to be that desperate to take one is downright foolish.

I'm not saying I agree with the move. I know we need a QB but if Trask is close to Wilson or Fields, I would actually prefer to go Sewell/Slater in the first, pending combine of course and possibly Trask in the second. It's all to early to speculate, but I'd be willing to shore our LT if we are meh on the QBs available.

11 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not saying I agree with the move. I know we need a QB but if Trask is close to Wilson or Fields, I would actually prefer to go Sewell/Slater in the first, pending combine of course and possibly Trask in the second. It's all to early to speculate, but I'd be willing to shore our LT if we are meh on the QBs available.

I wouldn't mind that strategy if we prefer Trask or Mac Jones to Lance or Wilson. But I higly doubt Sewell will be available and he's one of the few non-qbs that seem to be worth taking at 4. In which case I would try to trade down to the middle of the 1st and maybe pick up a 2022 1st in the process. But that requires a willing trade partner.

We’re currently 4th. If that holds it actually could be a reasonable move. But I doubt either NYJ or Jax are moving off those picks when they both need QBs....unless they acquire a QB in the offseason which is possible. 

Best case scenario is we stay at 4...Fields falls and we get him. 

Another scenario I actually like as well is if we’re at 4 and we get Micah Parsons (you know that’ll be the pick with Hurney). Put him in this defense with Brown, Chinn, Burns etc. That’s a top 10 defense for the next 5 years. If a QB is available at the bottom of the 1st or with our 2nd then take them there. 

Archived