• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last chance to see Zach Wilson. 7 PM EST UCF vs BYU. ESPN 12-22 Boca Raton Bowl

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

UCF may have the worst defense in college football. 

Temper enthusiasm accordingly

Name me any college player that doesn't put up massive numbers vs garbage teams? No different than Lawrence or Fields. No idea who we will pick but love his game.

14 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

They may be bad, but you can’t take away his placement on those throws last night. Had he thrown short routes all night and his WRs get a lot YAC, that would be different, but he was throwing 30 yard passes with ease on the run and with great placement. UCFs defense may be bad, but the rest of the teams he faced were not. 

6F25A724-7116-412C-8936-3C0B38058EAD.jpeg

He made the throws. Placement wasn’t perfect but it was good enough. 

4 hours ago, Varking said:

The issue with Bama is that they haven’t, in years, played against opponents that out talent them, offensively. You can’t recruit good enough defenses in college to stop the likes of Jeudy, Mechie, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle, etc... while also being able to stop their running backs. 

As for your last line... that’s just college football, honestly. Outside of Trask throwing 50/50 balls to Pitts and Grimes you turn on a college QBs highlights and like 80-90% of the highlight is throws to players with like 5+ yards of separation. 

Even last night watching this game with Wilson look at the majority of the chunk plays:

*Touchdown on a reverse flea flicker with the closest defender being like 10 yards away. No defender in front of him, defender to his left like 20 yards away and the defender behind him is 10 yards away. He’s wide open and he is waiting on the ball.

*Touchdown pass right down the middle of the field with five+ yards of separation against both defenders near him to his left and right. He doesn’t lead the receiver with the ball but like the previous play when the guys are this wide open the throws don’t have to be perfect.

*There were like 9 runs where a UCF defender doesn’t touch the running backs until they are 5+ yards down the field.

*Wilson himself had a few runs where defenders didn’t touch him for 10 yards.

*His tight window touchdown throw here probably isn’t a completion in the NFL. He hits hit receiver almost in stride here but the throw is at hip height, at the hip. A defender in the NFL is going to knock that down if not intercept it. The ball should thrown over the head of the receiver so only he has a chance at catching it. 

However, anyone watching this game without bias even being critical can see a few things:

1) The arm talent is real. I never understood people comparing him to Clausen. Clausen never had this arm talent. 
2) My favorite play of the night was where Wilson stepped up and two the right after his drop back and he throws the ball back across the left side of the field where a receiver makes an amazing dive to catch the ball. Outstanding throw and outstanding catch. It was a beautiful spiral and it was in a spot where only the receiver could get it.

3) People need to stop dogging  BYUs offensive talent around Wilson. Going into last nights game their top three running backs were averaging over 5 yards a carry, over 6 yards a carry and their lead back was over 7 yards a carry. They had 19 touchdowns on the ground going into last nights game. And while Wilson was averaging less than 4 a carry he had 8 touchdowns going into last night. Their offensive line was better than every defensive line they faced all year outside of CCU. 

They had 6 receivers get 10 or more catches this year and every single one of them averaged over 10 yards per catch. 

4) Hes big armed and mobile enough to succeed in the NFL. For the critical eye there’s a lot to like and the good far outweighs the bad. I’d definitely be completely happy with drafting him at 4 if Fields isn’t there and he absolutely cemented himself, in my eyes, in front of the likes of Lance, Trask and Jones. We have no shot at Lawrence but if Fields or Wilson get announced as our pick I’ll smile. If it’s any of the others I am going to be disappointed. 

INTERESTING NOTE I LEARNED YESTERDAY: Was listening to Dilfer break down Lawrence and Fields on a podcast yesterday and they said Dilfer went back and watched all of Russ Wilson’s college tape and out of all the passes he threw his last year of college ONLY SIX OF HIS COMPLETIONS WERE NOT HIS FIRST READ. The whole season he threw to his first read on 99.99% of his passes. 

Yeah, I'm glad Wilson came on to my radar early in the season.  It gave me a chance to watch most of his games.  And yes, because the talent level of his opponents wasn't always the best, he did have some wide open throws.  But to be honest, I kind of dismiss those "pass and catch" plays, no matter who the QB is or what teams are involved, any decent QB should be able to make those throws. 

Instead, I look for the times when the QB faces adversity such as heavy pressure and is moved off his spot, or when the defense has tight coverage and he doesn't have a clean window.  Can he fit the ball in without turning the ball over and with accuracy?  And that's what really gets me excited about Wilson.  He just has a knack for fitting the ball into the spot where only his guy can make the play, no matter how tight the coverage.  Also, his awareness and ability to make big plays when things break down is really impressive.  I think the biggest hurdle he will face from playing a weak schedule will be the complexity of the defenses he will see at the NFL level.  The adjustment will be much steeper than if he had been playing higher level competition.  But I think with good coaching, he should be fine. 

You're right, the comparisons to Clausen don't make any sense.  Wilson has very good arm strength, and definitely has the ability to zip the ball when he has to.  As far as the talent around him, I REALLY like Allgeier.  He has great vision and runs with power, but also has enough shiftiness to hit the crease and make big plays.  Now, some of the runs he makes would be stopped by good defenses, but he shows all the traits of being a high level RB.  As far as the WR's, I like Dax Milne.  I just wonder about his speed.  It seems like whenever the need to make a play, he finds a way to make it.  His future may be more of a possession #3/4 receiver than a go-to #1.

Realistically speaking, even if you're playing against the top college competition, it's still nothing close to what you face in the pros.

The gap in talent level between college and pro is just huge even at the highest levels, so there's always going to be a big adjustment.

It's bigger for some than others, but you either make that adjustment or you don't.

56 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Yeah, I'm glad Wilson came on to my radar early in the season.  It gave me a chance to watch most of his games.  And yes, because the talent level of his opponents wasn't always the best, he did have some wide open throws.  But to be honest, I kind of dismiss those "pass and catch" plays, no matter who the QB is or what teams are involved, any decent QB should be able to make those throws. 

Instead, I look for the times when the QB faces adversity such as heavy pressure and is moved off his spot, or when the defense has tight coverage and he doesn't have a clean window.  Can he fit the ball in without turning the ball over and with accuracy?  And that's what really gets me excited about Wilson.  He just has a knack for fitting the ball into the spot where only his guy can make the play, no matter how tight the coverage.  Also, his awareness and ability to make big plays when things break down is really impressive.  I think the biggest hurdle he will face from playing a weak schedule will be the complexity of the defenses he will see at the NFL level.  The adjustment will be much steeper than if he had been playing higher level competition.  But I think with good coaching, he should be fine. 

You're right, the comparisons to Clausen don't make any sense.  Wilson has very good arm strength, and definitely has the ability to zip the ball when he has to.  As far as the talent around him, I REALLY like Allgeier.  He has great vision and runs with power, but also has enough shiftiness to hit the crease and make big plays.  Now, some of the runs he makes would be stopped by good defenses, but he shows all the traits of being a high level RB.  As far as the WR's, I like Dax Milne.  I just wonder about his speed.  It seems like whenever the need to make a play, he finds a way to make it.  His future may be more of a possession #3/4 receiver than a go-to #1.

19 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Fields and Wilson both have things i like and i would consider them top five, first rd. draft picks. If either one is available when our selection is called in the NFL Draft, don't walk but run to grab them.

Or just call it in:)

Put me on the record:

He will be a bust in the NFL. 3 years from now he'll be a decent backup. 

If we draft him, I'll root for him because he plays for the team.

But I got a bad feeling about how hype up this kid has become.

J.Fields or T.Lance would be my pick, both are going have far better careers than Z.Wilson.

20 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Put me on the record:

He will be a bust in the NFL. 3 years from now he'll be a decent backup. 

If we draft him, I'll root for him because he plays for the team.

But I got a bad feeling about how hype up this kid has become.

J.Fields or T.Lance would be my pick, both are going have far better careers than Z.Wilson.

This is a hot take and I respect it. 

Archived