• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Log Jam @WR

GPantherfan

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. I like Samuel and in a vacuum I'd love to keep him but in a hard salary cap league you can't afford to have a big money #3 WR. Someone will probably be willing to pay him starter money and give him a bigger role. Best of luck to him. We can draft another slot WR in the mid to late rounds. Sure, he probably won't be as good as Samuel, but that's okay. We need to spend money on the OL and secondary.

This.

Very good player.  But he's not that important.  We 100% should not re-sign him, and I don't expect that we will.  He's no DJ Moore.  And we gotta make sure we can re-sign him.

I might consider taking Samuel over Anderson, but Anderson is already signed for 2021.

Even without Samuel, we still got some good weapons for next year in Moore, Anderson, and CMC.  And that isn't even factoring potential rookies and free agents.  We'll be fine without him.  Well... our receiving options will be.  Depends on QB.

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We have 52 million in dead money.  We have 27 million on IR.  So much of our Cap is tied up in players that don't actually play for us anymore or haven't played much this year.  

$17M of the $52M was based on roster moves made for this year (Turner trade, Apple and Roberts). $24M of the $27M on IR was for Short and Weatherly. So half of the dead cap/IR cap was done for this year. Add in $35M for Bridgewater and Okung and it’s clear that the struggle for cap wasn’t all due to some awful dead cap we couldn’t avoid. We blew our wad on trying to compete this year and that’s why we don’t have a ton of cap space for when we can contend in say 2022+.

1 hour ago, GPantherfan said:

Which of the 3 WR has the highest career ceiling  the next 5 seasons?

Moore definitely 100% has the highest ceiling and already the highest floor by a considerable amount. I love Robby but I really think he's more of a high end number 2. I hope we can keep him after next year on a reasonable contract. Moore is a bonafide #1 WR and could easily put up 1500+ yards consistently with a better QB who can actually hit him when he's open downfield. Samuel has been great and could maybe be a starter but I don't think he'll ever be an outstanding route runner and is better suited as more of a role player like he has been here. Honestly, the 3 all complement each other very well. The only thing this team is missing in terms of pass catchers is a big red zone threat. That is more likely to come from a TE but couldn't hurt to consider drafting a mid to late round WR that fits that mold either. 

As to whether we keep Samuel or not, it really just comes down to what other teams may offer him. If another team offers him starter money and starter opportunity he likely walks. But my (maybe too optimistic) prediction is that other teams won't offer that and we can keep him on a shorter term team friendly deal, maybe 2-3 years at like $7-8m/year

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Moore definitely 100% has the highest ceiling and already the highest floor by a considerable amount. I love Robby but I really think he's more of a high end number 2. I hope we can keep him after next year on a reasonable contract. Moore is a bonafide #1 WR and could easily put up 1500+ yards consistently with a better QB who can actually hit him when he's open downfield. Samuel has been great and could maybe be a starter but I don't think he'll ever be an outstanding route runner and is better suited as more of a role player like he has been here. Honestly, the 3 all complement each other very well. The only thing this team is missing in terms of pass catchers is a big red zone threat. That is more likely to come from a TE but couldn't hurt to consider drafting a mid to late round WR that fits that mold either. 

As to whether we keep Samuel or not, it really just comes down to what other teams may offer him. If another team offers him starter money and starter opportunity he likely walks. But my (maybe too optimistic) prediction is that other teams won't offer that and we can keep him on a shorter term team friendly deal, maybe 2-3 years at like $7-8m/year

In my mind, Moore still hasn't proven to be a better route runner than Samuel. Samuel arguably gets better separation than Moore and Robby! That being said, he has played more like a role player, but I'm not sure that's only due to his skill set. Could be! Could be coaching! 

4 hours ago, WarHeel said:

I think Curtis has shown his worth the last several weeks. Moore is the most elite of the three and that’s not debatable. Anderson has been a fantastic addition this year but I think it’s a tight race between him and Curtis at this point.

I actually think it is the opposite. Anderson has been the deep threat we hoped Moore would be and runs great routes. DJ is a YAC machine no doubt about that. I still think Robbie is 1a and DJ is 1b. 

6 hours ago, jb2288 said:

I let Samuel walk. He’s been great this year, but as a #3. I get he’s being used WAY better this year, but he was a #2 before this year and didn’t do much. Robby is a legit #2

I'd certainly sit down for discussions with Samuel, but if he wants starter money and someone else is offering him it I thank him for his contributions and wish him well.

He's in his fourth year in the NFL now and he's not been a consistently productive player for us.

I mean why haven't we discussed letting Robby go in favor of Curtis? Curtis and DJ are the two home grown talents who are still getting better. Moore is a WR1 and can do all Robby does but better and looks better doing it. Curtis is one our best options on third downand much younger than Robby. So of the three I'd say Robby's most expendable if you're trying to keep your best players but also are thinking long term. They could cut Robby if it came to it, right? Just a thought.

Edit: I've reconsidered this 

8 hours ago, WarHeel said:

I think Curtis has shown his worth the last several weeks. Moore is the most elite of the three and that’s not debatable. Anderson has been a fantastic addition this year but I think it’s a tight race between him and Curtis at this point.

I'd personally lean towards Curtis just because he's home grown and younger. He still has time to continue to get better and mold himself into a solid #2 if he isn't one already. Teddy stares down Robby, and while that's not meant to knock on him I don't know that he'll get those kinds of looks once we have a new QB in town.

Archived