• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bridgewater Experiment... your thoughts

mc52beast

52 minutes ago, Rags said:

This is true but this is the biggest hindsight post in thia thread.

Name anyone that wanted Allen back after last season, I'll wait.

Me! Didn’t care if it was Allen or Grier. I think once traded I was all over going with Grier to get the top pick and save cap/get comp picks.

Just now, stbugs said:

You don’t pay $21M a year for a teacher who all season has made terrible decisions and missed wide open players. How do you know he’d be a good mentor? You are just guessing and continuing to waste cap $$$s seems silly. I’d rather have a QB coach and OC teach him that a guy who plays scared until he realizes his starting days are in jeopardy and then throws a bunch of picks/should have been picks.

I hope we find a trade partner even if we have to eat half his guarantee (10 of 18M next year is guaranteed). Saving 13-18M in cap space is >>>>> Teddy as a mentor.

He's had positive reviews from his time serving as a back-up to Sam Darnold & Drew Brees. He was brought in and paid only $14M this season with $24M on the books next season. Some of the casual fans are focused on "ermahgerd MILLYUNZ!" without looking at the big picture aren't seeing that it's a literal middle of the road salary. Apparently, we would have played our way out of the top 10 with Bridgewater yet... here we are?

11 minutes ago, Icege said:

https://theathletic.com/2003116/2020/08/17/panthers-practice-report-teddy-bridgewater-teaching-matt-rhule-getting-into-it/

Do you have anything to refute his ability to teach?

Mind you we have already covered that performance skill != teaching skill.

And the results of these MENSA sessions was completely positive? Seriously? Are they still telling each other nothing but good things? And the only relevant point. You want to pay him 20M to coach, pay him as a coach and keep it off the salary cap. Because there is no logical reason to give a player a ridiculous salary with that as a justification. That’s an incompetence problem. 

24 minutes ago, Rags said:

I was royally poo on for saying we should cut Cam and rock with Kyle next season. There were plenty of people who thought Teddy would be decent in Brady's system and an improvement over Kyle. It's hindsight.

On top of all that paying Teddy middle of the road money to be a decent bridge QB and a decent Starter isn't as damning as you guys think.

Teddy is not a decent starter and never was. He is/was only as good as his supporting cast's ability to make things happen, which was quite obvious in the years before he came to Carolina. It is painfully clear this year.

19 minutes ago, Icege said:

https://theathletic.com/2003116/2020/08/17/panthers-practice-report-teddy-bridgewater-teaching-matt-rhule-getting-into-it/

Do you have anything to refute his ability to teach?

Mind you we have already covered that performance skill != teaching skill.

Able to quote for those who don't subscribe? Honestly, what do you want Teddy teaching someone? Dude has not improved one iota since coming into the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

He's had positive reviews from his time serving as a back-up to Sam Darnold & Drew Brees. He was brought in and paid only $14M this season with $24M on the books next season. Some of the casual fans are focused on "ermahgerd MILLYUNZ!" without looking at the big picture aren't seeing that it's a literal middle of the road salary. Apparently, we would have played our way out of the top 10 with Bridgewater yet... here we are?

No, you’re the one that always has been hiding from the FACT that TB will cost this team 42M in much needed cap space. Something Dalton, Mariota, Winston, Keenum could have done at a fraction of the cost. Even Allen.  I have, and many others, have shown in great detail what this mistakes have and will cost the team. Saying 14M isn’t bad. Doesn’t matter when if you cut him he costs 34M for ONE year of subpar QB play. If the team had the cap space they tossed away, nobody would care as much about draft position. You could get a couple proven commodities. But no, let Us in on how this isn’t a big deal. This entire scenario was predicted by many people. 

I appreciate the guys trying to prop him up. I always think the idea was have him show out just enough while we lose that we can still develop our receivers and make him look good enough we could flip him for a pick when we wanted to go after a draft QB. It didn’t work out. 

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Teddy is not a decent starter and never was. He is/was only as good as his supporting cast's ability to make things happen, which was quite obvious in the years before he came to Carolina. It is painfully clear this year.

And woah wouldn't you know it Teddy has a good supporting cast here.

I don't. Know why we act like there's way more QBs who can't do what Teddy did compared to those who can. It's not a fluke he's still in the NFL even if he's average at best.

Overpay? Maybe but someone was gonna do it. This isn't anything damning.

8 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Able to quote for those who don't subscribe? Honestly, what do you want Teddy teaching someone? Dude has not improved one iota since coming into the NFL.

I gotcha, 2s (response is quoted in the quote? Multi-quotes can be a pain sometimes)

Bridgewater, the former Saints quarterback, spoke from experience. In a Week 2 game against the Rams last fall, Drew Brees left with a thumb injury and, suddenly, Bridgewater was in the game. He didn’t play terribly, but he concedes he wasn’t ready and the Saints lost, 27-9.

“I was behind Drew Brees, pretty sure he never missed a game. ‘Man, I’ll never (play)’ — that was my mindset,” Bridgewater said. “You can always talk the talk about, ‘I’ll be ready when my number’s called.’ But you never know until that opportunity presents itself.”

“That’s something I told those guys,” he added. “After that game against the Rams last year. I was embarrassed. I had to hear it from my family, fans and just everyone. I told myself I never want to experience that again. So my message to those guys was to always stay ready.”

Another article (source)

While there will certainly be changes to the scheme the pair helped run with the Saints, the comfort level between them means Bridgewater has been able to raise the understanding of the offense for those around him.

"Everybody that's met Teddy Bridgewater, he makes everybody better," Brady told reporters during a video conference call Thursday. "(W)e had a day where we had Teddy running the meetings. I think that that's critical, having a guy that understands a good amount of the system and what we're doing, but also has an idea of football and being able to explain it and teach it to others. 

"I think from a quarterback standpoint, when you're able to install a play, you're able to communicate terminology — even if it's different than what you've known in the past — it just shows how valuable you are."

The sooner a young gun can learn the offense, the sooner they can take over. Teddy has been a consummate professional and has done nothing to deserve any consideration otherwise. His play on the field might have sucked this season, but the offense with all of his shortcomings did not look that bad considering the COVID influenced offseason (and Teddy's in-season play).

4 minutes ago, Rags said:

And woah wouldn't you know it Teddy has a good supporting cast here.

I don't. Know why we act like there's way more QBs who can't do what Teddy did compared to those who can. It's not a fluke he's still in the NFL even if he's average at best.

Overpay? Maybe but someone was gonna do it. This isn't anything damning.

He does, and he still produced... crap, and utter crap when the other playmakers were contained by better defenses. Not a decent starter regardless of salary.

I wanted the best for Teddy, our QB, before the season began, and I didn't mind giving him an opportunity. Now, I just want him gone. He was given an honest shot, and he failed to take advantage of it. 

I feel like we were sold a bill of goods. He was supposed to be the poster boy for ball security, and has turned the ball over with regularity at the most inopportune times. Moreover, he was supposed to be a top student of the game, but seeing him repeatedly miss reads put that myth to rest. His timing--which I belief is influenced by his risk averseness or plain fear--causes him to negate the skills of our receivers. He basically is a bad catalytic converter in an engine that should be high performance. 

We'll never get to where we want to go with him at the helm.

Archived