• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers GM candidate Ed Dodds now available for hire

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From an article by Zak Keefer in The Athletic, here's Ed Dodds in a nutshell (edited for language)

He was pissed off, tired of all the attention they were getting, tired of hearing how good they were and how great they were gonna be. The room needed some truth, some leveling, so eight days after it ended, emotions still raw, weeks and months of grueling work ahead, the damn Patriots punching another trip to the Super Bowl on the TV screen a few feet away, Ed Dodds gathered his scouts inside a bar in Mobile, Ala., and gave it to them.

“We ain’t done (bleep) yet,” the Colts assistant general manager told them. “We won a (bleep)ing wild-card game.”

You don’t get trophies for AFC wild-card games, and Dodds didn’t come to Indianapolis to win wild-card games. But two years in, anyone could see: the rebuild was working. The Colts had flipped 4-12 into 10-6, won a playoff game and had a roster stocked with young talent. The pundits couldn’t help but praise. The Colts were coming. Soon.

But Dodds didn’t wanna hear it, and didn’t want his scouts thinking it. If there’s anything that scares the hell out of him, it’s complacency. He fears it. Fights it. To him it just felt like it needed to be said, then and there, the night before they went to work at the Senior Bowl in late January, the unofficial kickoff to an exhaustive three-month stretch that would ready the entire personnel department for that spring’s draft. So he lit into them.

“I just felt like everyone was jacked, we’re on this win streak, and I’m kinda like, what the (bleep) does it matter?” Dodds said a few months later. “If we don’t go to a Super Bowl, so what? A couple of injuries, bomb a couple of draft picks, no one in the pipeline to replace the players you lost? You gotta be relentless. You can’t stop. I don’t.”

Basically, he called a meeting of his scouting staff just so he could yell at them and tell them.it wasn't good enough.

There's also this tidbit from the same source about working for Al Davis...

Dodds has done this for a decade and a half, so he knows. He cut his teeth in Oakland, learning from Al Davis that B.S. won’t get you far in this league.

“With Mr. Davis, you learned quickly,” Dodds explains, “that if you don’t know the answer to a question, just say you don’t know and take your ass-beating right there. Don’t guess.”

Compliancy in this business is not good. We nailed 2020's draft but if we don't follow it with another good draft and another one after that it won't matter what 2020 did for us.

I still like Peters but Dodd seems to be the other side of the same coin.  If you flip it you still are going to get what you want.  

I think, among other things, that was a fault of Hurney.  You'd hear how good our scouting team was but each season our draft was mediocre to bad.  Maybe doing well once every 4 or 5 season.

Whether Peters or Dodd as long as they bring some consistency to our drafts.  Then when we have a player like Samuel possibly leaving us we have the answer already on the roster.  Truly On the Roster. 

For the record, Dodds and Colts GM Chris Ballard are longtime friends. Dodds also had said he wasn't planning to leave for a GM job until he felt like he was "overprepared" and in a situation where he felt good about it.

My honest guess: He didn't feel like we were the right spot.

And yeah, that might mean he wasn't impressed with what he saw of us.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For the record, Dodds and Colts GM Chris Ballard are longtime friends. Dodds also had said he wasn't planning to leave for a GM job until he felt like he was "overprepared" and in a situation where he felt good about it.

As well he shouldn't be. Also this really sounds like a Rhule 95% control GM 5% control situation not a lot of GM's are going to go for.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule isn’t going to give up control of the roster. Have to find someone comfortable with that situation. 

Just now, Toomers said:

Rhule isn’t going to give up control of the roster. Have to find someone comfortable with that situation. 

Dodds is a super driven guy with high standards who says exactly what he thinks. He might not have meshed with Rhule.

If I had to guess, I think it's gonna come down to Peters or Ireland.

I'd be okay with Schoen though.

Archived