• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

we need to build in freeagency

Mister

1 hour ago, Zod said:

You draft and build a team slowly, use free agency to temporarily plug holes along the way.

Agreed. 2021 is not a year to make big FA moves just like 2020 wasn’t but we still did. 2022+ IMHO is when we should be plugging holes. Unfortunately, the $80M+ we could have rolled over into 2021/2022 no longer exists so we won’t be able to sign a couple of marquee FAs like KC did before 2019.

Stay away from pricey FAs this year.  It won't be worth it.  We are still another year away from being a formidable threat.  NEXT offseason plug the glaring hole or two in anticipation of making a run.  Again, we aren't there yet, so why needlessly tie up the cap money?

The only positions I would go shopping for--again mid-tier guys at best are: OL, CB, LB and TE.  Obviously attempting to keep a few in-house guys first, like Trenton Scott for example.

You need to be able to find those hidden gems in free agency. Players who don’t cost much but can play good. You want to find players who didn’t get a lot of playing time or played in the wrong system.

you don’t want to sign players that are coming off of injuries or were system players. Look at Paradis who we spent lots of money on and he’s not really done much for us. I would argue his success comes from the Denver system.

Just now, TSLA said:

Is it really 400 mil? 

Haha I was being facetious. It's suggested it might be as low as $176 million. We can't afford 2 of the people you named, let alone all of them. So figure out who your favorite is and cross your fingers for them. Personally I'm going for the resigning of Moton. And then we'll just have enough room to sign our rookies and some cheap to mid-range free agents to round the roster. No one as expensive as anyone you mentioned.

13 minutes ago, TSLA said:

We should have some more after cutting guys like Short and Burris.

Burris actually played decent when he was healthy.  He was the least of our worries in the secondary.  When Donte "the toe" Jackson is your #1 corner, there is a a major problem.  Toe issues aside, Jackson is at best a marginal #2, let alone a #1 corner.  And Douglas?  It got to the point I had to cover my eyes every time a ball got thrown his way.  Dude got burned worse than an Irishmen that fell asleep on the beach for 5 hours.

When it comes to free agency I always feel it’s best to go for mid tier guys because they don’t break the bank and are still looking for a bigger payday.

Its always the top level guys that are looking for their 2nd contract that breaks the bank that never seems to preform. The Albert Hayensworths and Josh Normans of the world.

Archived