• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers more likely to trade down now?

Zod

28 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I've always thought that pro athletes are so close in talent level that a scattershot approach can be better for a team like the Panthers that are extremely devoid of talent. A guy like Hurney could top off a really good team with some premium 1st round guys

Agree. Also, more guys on rookie contracts frees up cap space for key positions. 

If the Panthers want to draft a potential franchise QB (and they should) then they will need to move up in the draft or stay put. Without a franchise QB, you are just treading water and making little progress. The Panthers may find themselves good enough to be mediocre and poorly positioned in future drafts. The importance of the QB position in the NFL simply cannot be overstated. Do what it takes to find and get that guy!

I like trading back if it makes sense.

Looking at prospects he was part of drafting, I don't think it matters until he can prove those 5 years do not represent his skills at talent evaluation. Quantity over quality approach I guess. 

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I like trading back if it makes sense.

Looking at prospects he was part of drafting, I don't think it matters until he can prove those 5 years do not represent his skills at talent evaluation. Quantity over quality approach I guess. 

Im a big trade down guy too, just depends on your board and tier system. Hawks seem to always trust their board, like really trust it unless like most teams. Hes got a huge project with this 2021 panthers group. Rough numbers are; need 25 players with 12 of them being starters. Im heading over to overthecap to check out the hawks free agents... 

If everything goes perfect(LOLLOLOLOLOOLOL) panthers may have a playoff shot in 2022.... need loads of luck to even do that. 2023 maybe better odds, thanks for everything herniay!!

I've been saying for a while that if we got rid of Hurney, we needed to cleanse the scouting department as well. This appears to be the guy to bring in new scouts and get a fresh start on it. Those scouts really determine the flavor of a team and can set a team's style and capabilities for a long time. 

The scouting group grown and pruned by Hurney has had an almost 20 year impact on this team. Panthers football may become something different than we are used to. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Im a big trade down guy too, just depends on your board and tier system. Hawks seem to always trust their board, like really trust it unless like most teams. Hes got a huge project with this 2021 panthers group. Rough numbers are; need 25 players with 12 of them being starters. Im heading over to overthecap to check out the hawks free agents... 

If everything goes perfect(LOLLOLOLOLOOLOL) panthers may have a playoff shot in 2022.... need loads of luck to even do that. 2023 maybe better odds, thanks for everything herniay!!

Meh, I see trade downs but what they got with it doesn't encourage much optimism yet. That team has been stagnating the last 5 years, their team this year was a shadow of it's golden years under Carrol. Look at their drafts since 2015 when he was promoted to that job, lots of misses and guys early that are not producing.

I'm not worried about perfect, good would be a needed improvement and a good place to start with expectations for this hire. Rhule worked out so far, I just need to see some competency before I can be convinced this was a good move. I have some serious concerns and I truly hope he proves them unfounded this offseason. First up, Moton's contract (this guys Olinemen drafted is trash since 2015, like yikes bad).

Just now, Waldo said:

Meh, I see trade downs but what they got with it doesn't encourage much optimism yet. That team has been stagnating the last 5 years, their team this year was a shadow of it's golden years under Carrol. Look at their drafts since 2015 when he was promoted to that job, lots of misses and guys early that are not producing.

I'm not worried about perfect, good would be a needed improvement and a good place to start with expectations for this hire. Rhule worked out so far, I just need to see some competency before I can be convinced this was a good move. I have some serious concerns and I truly hope he proves them unfounded this offseason. First up, Moton's contract (this guys Olinemen drafted is trash since 2015, like yikes bad).

Wilson has been covering up all those misses and there are a few. They rarely kept their 1st, again always trusted their board. If your board shows there no difference form 25-45 and some team comes a calling(carolina), why not add picks? I know Dave had a saying, "rather have one dollar than 3 dimes". Depends on the draft class strengths, current team, future, etc. Adding late picks is like buying more lotto tickets, or placing more bets on the Roulette wheel. 

Since you brought it up, along with having a weird non-1st rounders drafting, they also had a period of taking DTs/DLmen and turning them into OLmen. Wilson had to run for his life for about 4 years, awful to take a player with no exp and make him learn a totally new spot. But they did, if the players had a profile, like they wanted explosion off the ball. DLmen are more athletic and more explosion in general, so they tried and tried and tried. I believe Tom Cable was the OL coach and he was behind some of that.  Then they stole Brown form the texans and put OLmen on the OL and got better. They spent some early picks on OLmen that are Little clones. 

Archived