• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Panthers land Stafford, it is win now, not rebuild

Zod

1 minute ago, SOJA said:

The question is, is Stafford good enough to win a Superbowl. He is. But that would be contingent on us having an offensive line that is good enough to keep him upright. Our weapons aren't the issue (For like the first time in history since the Smitty/Moose days). 

Which is why it would be imperative to retain 8 overall. To draft our future LT. I can't sign off on a Stafford trade that includes number 8 because it would be devoting too many resources to him and also depleting Stafford of his best chance to win here. 

The oline wasn’t that bad last year, actually did better than I thought. Teddy was straight up trash even with time to throw.

44 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

I don’t believe this will be a problem...too many other teams involved that have big cap space...Indy at top of list

It's not about cap space, it's about trade bait. We are holding #8 overall. Indy has #21. There's a huge gap in that value.  Detroit honestly might take #8 overall over #21 and next year's 1st from Indy. In terms of value in the draft chart they'd be roughly equal.

39 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Here is a relatively quick way to "win now" with Stafford. It would be contingent on us tradding Teddy plus no more than a second rounder this year, ideally a third (which likely won't happen at all but fug it let's play")

Stafford for Teddy and 3rd/future 4th round pick 

FA 

Re-sign Moton

Wait on Curtis Samuel to test FA (I think a lot of WR#1 money is going to dry up) the Panthers might still be able to re-sign him. Esp if Samuel wants to hit FA again in a few seasons. A two year deal like Robby signed might just work

Cut KK/Weatherly

Re-sign one of the guards from this year, whichever is cheaper.

Offer Okung a one year prove it deal, take it or leave it. 

Draft

1- Rashawn Slater or Sewell (one will likely be there at our pick and both appear to be future franchise LTs)

2- BPA out of CB/OG

4- BPA out of CB/OG/UT

BPA rest of the way

Depending on how the draft goes sign a veteran CB after to a one year prove it deal

Start Jermaine Carter next to Shaq. Stafford comes into a loaded offense. Defense will be improved. Profit.

This.

This right here.

This is exactly how teams convince themselves they can compete now.  Instead of taking the time to build an organization like the Steelers or Patriots or . . . pick your consistent contender.  Teams who convince themselves that can juggle things for a couple years to challenge inevitably wind up failing to become consistent.

Terrible, terrible thinking.  That's what creates the rollercoaster of good years / bad years.  That has to stop if we want that consistent winner, consistent challenger.

What do you want?  Do you want to see us in with a chance EVERY year or push for "win this year, don't care about next".  In the last 30 years, the Steelers have had four losing seasons.  They've made the playoffs NINETEEN TIMES.  They've been to four Super Bowls, winning two.  That's the kind of team I want us to have.

• Beer 1

great point Zod, thanks for highlighting this

obviously a well ran organization would see the opportunity ahead and seek to build a team that can dominate for a sustained period

if you trade for a declining QB, you cap out your rebuild while spending valuable resources that could be used to improve the team for a shot a couple 10 win seasons

Great point

Just now, Snake said:

I don't think this team is ready to win now. We don't even have a offensive line right now. If I was a QB with the better part of my career behind me I think I would look elsewhere. Just my opinion. 

Oline was actually not that bad, Teddy was that bad. I don’t think y’all really seen how terrible this guy was and that’s why u hear we are interested in so many great qbs like Watson and Stafford. If u draft one ur looking at 3-4 years before anything and that’s hoping that guy turns out to be elite.

2 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

You can still draft a qb to groom for future, who says you can’t trade for Stafford and draft one?

If you get Stafford you are in win now mode.  You will need to get an immediate impact player if we are able to keep 8.