• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Panthers land Stafford, it is win now, not rebuild

Zod

1 hour ago, Zod said:

If the Panthers go out and get a QB the caliber of Matt Stafford they should absolutely be held to the "win now" standard and not the "rebuild" standard of 2020. 

Given the level of success the 2020 season brought in terms of rookie defensive players coupled with a second year in the new system of Rhule, Brady, and Snow on top of a full offseason and preseason... well.... 

2021 had better not be a losing season. 

At least 9-7 would be the expectation. 

Agree?

1 hour ago, mbarbour21 said:

Yes, 9-7 sounds about right. We were missing consistent play from the QB, lost our best offensive weapon, and we lost 8 games by only one score. I don’t expect playoffs, but def a winning record. 

I think they have said they will be going to a 17 game season in 2021 so if we go 9-7 we missed a game somewhere.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, bababoey said:

I think they have said they will be going to a 17 game season in 2021 so if we go 9-7 we missed a game somewhere.

I am standing in solidarity with the players against the 17 game season by refusing to acknowledge the results of any games played against the Jets, Texans or WFT. I hereby declare these games Fake Sports.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

It's this kind of thinking that has kept us on a rollercoaster for our entire existence.  We as fans need to stop thinking this way.  You don't build a championship organization in a year or two.

Stafford is a great QB who I rate very highly.  But getting him may give us one or two good years, and then we'll suffer for three or four as we clean up the mess we made by bringing him here and trying to replace him.

Stop the madness.  Build the team through the draft, develop the players with the coaches and begin creating an organization that wins consistently.  We as fans need to stop seeking that instant gratification, because our mood can unfortunately influence the organization.

Why could you not get Stafford for win now and use a 1st or 2nd round draft pick on a QB to develop? Developing talent doesn’t mean you have to suck while you do it. You just have to do it intelligently...

33 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Probably the Lions, who would almost certainly expect pick 8 as bare minimum compensation. To be fair you could trade for Stafford and look to draft his replacement a few years down the road, but ask Aaron Rogers how franchise qb's feel about a team using high picks to draft their potential replacements towards the end of their career vs filling immediate needs in an effort to maximize their present qb's career potential.

Edit for additional thoughts: If we were able to acquire Stafford without giving up pick 8, I'd still say our priority with it would need to be acquiring a LT to protect him.

I meant picking up someone like Newman later not in the first two rounds.

I think when you win meaningless games the year before that loses you draft picks then maybe win now IS the right way of looking at things.    The mindset is obviously WIN.   Stafford on this team last year would have won 4-6 more games in my opinion.   The defense improved dramatically toward the end of the year more than I thought they would.

We just signed CMC to the biggest RB contract ever.... aren't we kind of in win now anyway?   If we wait more years than what was the point of that when he's hitting close to 30?

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I think when you win meaningless games the year before that loses you draft picks then maybe win now IS the right way of looking at things.    The mindset is obviously WIN.   Stafford on this team last year would have won 4-6 more games in my opinion.   The defense improved dramatically toward the end of the year more than I thought they would.

We just signed CMC to the biggest RB contract ever.... aren't we kind of in win now anyway?   If we wait more years than what was the point of that when he's hitting close to 30?

I was really impress how the defense stepped up at GB after being down a bunch. They held them the whole second half and guess what Teddy couldn’t do drive them down to win. He does not have the killer instinct.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, you don't acquire a 33 year old QB on a two year contract to look toward the future. It's why I'm not hugely excited about it. Stafford would be a huge upgrade, but parting with #8 and more would sting.

I don’t believe this will be a problem...too many other teams involved that have big cap space...Indy at top of list

Here is a relatively quick way to "win now" with Stafford. It would be contingent on us tradding Teddy plus no more than a second rounder this year, ideally a third (which likely won't happen at all but fug it let's play")

Stafford for Teddy and 3rd/future 4th round pick 

FA 

Re-sign Moton

Wait on Curtis Samuel to test FA (I think a lot of WR#1 money is going to dry up) the Panthers might still be able to re-sign him. Esp if Samuel wants to hit FA again in a few seasons. A two year deal like Robby signed might just work

Cut KK/Weatherly

Re-sign one of the guards from this year, whichever is cheaper.

Offer Okung a one year prove it deal, take it or leave it. 

Draft

1- Rashawn Slater or Sewell (one will likely be there at our pick and both appear to be future franchise LTs)

2- BPA out of CB/OG

4- BPA out of CB/OG/UT

BPA rest of the way

Depending on how the draft goes sign a veteran CB after to a one year prove it deal

Start Jermaine Carter next to Shaq. Stafford comes into a loaded offense. Defense will be improved. Profit.

Edited by SOJA

The question is, is Stafford good enough to win a Superbowl. He is. But that would be contingent on us having an offensive line that is good enough to keep him upright. Our weapons aren't the issue (For like the first time in history since the Smitty/Moose days). 

Which is why it would be imperative to retain 8 overall. To draft our future LT. I can't sign off on a Stafford trade that includes number 8 because it would be devoting too many resources to him and also depleting Stafford of his best chance to win here.