• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Panthers land Stafford, it is win now, not rebuild

Zod

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Oline was actually not that bad, Teddy was that bad. I don’t think y’all really seen how terrible this guy was and that’s why u hear we are interested in so many great qbs like Watson and Stafford. If u draft one ur looking at 3-4 years before anything and that’s hoping that guy turns out to be elite.

No what I mean is we don't have any of them under contract. We likely will lose multiple to FA.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

No what I mean is we don't have any of them under contract. We likely will lose multiple to FA.

At this point we have no idea how our line will end up, but it's not far fetched to think they can put a competent OL together in 1 off season

• Beer 1

Just now, jfra78 said:

At this point we have no idea how our line will end up, but it's not far fetched to think they can put a competent OL together in 1 off season

Depends on what you see is competent. It's probably not going to be as good as last year without some draft luck. 

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Depends on what you see is competent. It's probably not going to be as good as last year without some draft luck. 

We basically started the off season with Moton and Paradis last year.  If we resign Moton we are in the same spot as last year

• Beer 1

47 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This.

This right here.

This is exactly how teams convince themselves they can compete now.  Instead of taking the time to build an organization like the Steelers or Patriots or . . . pick your consistent contender.  Teams who convince themselves that can juggle things for a couple years to challenge inevitably wind up failing to become consistent.

Terrible, terrible thinking.  That's what creates the rollercoaster of good years / bad years.  That has to stop if we want that consistent winner, consistent challenger.

What do you want?  Do you want to see us in with a chance EVERY year or push for "win this year, don't care about next".  In the last 30 years, the Steelers have had four losing seasons.  They've made the playoffs NINETEEN TIMES.  They've been to four Super Bowls, winning two.  That's the kind of team I want us to have.

As I have stated in multiple threads Stafford is pretty much my last choice for QB next year. However, not drafting 3rd overall really puts us in a bind with potentially 4 QBs going before our pick. My ideal scenario si that we stay at 8 and Lance falls to us, however that doesn't seem likely. Trading for Watson is my top choice and my next top choice is trading up for Wilson/Fields/Lance 

Further if you're going to disagree with my OP that's fine but all I did was unburden us of Teddy's contract and give up a third and future fourth rounder. That's hardly mortgaging our future. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

David Tepper has been preaching patience, long-term thinking, five year plan, etc.

If he turns around and goes into "win now" mode in year two after a five win season, I'm gonna be kinda disappointed, honestly.

Me too. I don't really buy that they will though. It's great for drumming up interest in articles but it's far from being a forgone conclusion within the circle of the decision makers.

the odds that four QBs go before 8 is borderline absurd, it's the absolute nuclear scenario, and in which case I'm pretty content to take guy #5 in what is apparently an even better class than we think, or laterally just take Sewell/top pass rusher and whatever it

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Growl said:

the odds that four QBs go before 8 is borderline absurd, it's the absolute nuclear scenario, and in which case I'm pretty content to take guy #5 in what is apparently an even better class than we think, or laterally just take Sewell/top pass rusher and whatever it

if we draft Mac fuging Jones at 8 I'm out 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

David Tepper has been preaching patience, long-term thinking, five year plan, etc.

If he turns around and goes into "win now" mode in year two after a five win season, I'm gonna be kinda disappointed, honestly.

Kinda where I'm at.

I know it's not the way that I would do it, that's for sure.  But at the very least, it seems we have capable football minds making decisions for the Panthers right now (excluding Teppers involvement) so I have to put some faith in them.

If Fitt and Rhule think that's the very best direction I'll give em a little slack, it would be a HUGE gamble with them being in year 1 and year 2 of long contracts...could bite them in the butt.  Much "safer" to have the long game in mind.