• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: The Lions don’t seem to be getting as much interest in Matthew Stafford as expected

WarPanthers89

When it comes to potential interest in Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, the glass is currently two-thirds empty.

That’s the obvious import of the news that a third of the league has reached out to the Lions. A third of the league. Ten teams. For a 32-year-old franchise quarterback who is going to get his wish for a new franchise.

The Lions undoubtedly leaked that number to NFL Media in order to generate more interest. Surely, they expected to hear from more than 10 teams — especially since calls always get made when a key veteran player is available as part of the normal due diligence process.

The teams that should at least make the call include the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Washington, Cowboys (as a potentially cheaper alternative to Dak Prescott), Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams. That’s nearly two thirds of the league.

Maybe some teams simply aren’t intersted. Maybe some teams simply want the Lions to get nervous and thus desperate and thus willing to get whatever they can for Stafford instead of driving the hardest bargain.

Regardless, the Lions for now seem to be having a much harder time than expected when it comes to generating interest in Stafford.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/the-lions-dont-seem-to-be-getting-as-much-interest-in-matthew-stafford-as-expected/

2B4C43A2-C7E8-414D-9EBA-B27B57D2F070.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Teams waiting on the Deshaun Watson shoe to drop?

I mean, you'd be kicking yourself if you traded a 1st and more for Stafford and then Houston came out and said bring me your offers for Watson 

Very true but this is a turn of events. If you could get Stafford for a 2 second round picks though I would jump.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Very true but this is a turn of events. If you could get Stafford for a 2 second round picks though I would jump.

Yep, I'd do two 2nds for Stafford but I don't think Detroit would go for it. They want a 1st. If they're patient they'll get it. If Watson is moved, only one team will get him. Even if they have to wait until after the draft, there will be QB needy teams left out in the cold still needing a QB. They have a good commodity and a lot of the QB needy teams right now are thinking that surely they won't end up being one of those teams that doesn't have the dice roll their way this off-season in the QB carousel but when the dust settles there will be some teams sulking around kicking rocks.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, I'd do two 2nds for Stafford but I don't think Detroit would go for it. They want a 1st. If they're patient they'll get it. If Watson is moved, only one team will get him. Even if they have to wait until after the draft, there will be QB needy teams left out in the cold still needing a QB. They have a good commodity and a lot of the QB needy teams right now are thinking that surely they won't end up being one of those teams that doesn't have the dice roll their way this off-season in the QB carousel but when the dust settles there will be some teams sulking around kicking rocks.

Question is what level of first are they expecting. Top 10 pick. Not likely gonna happen. Late teens or 20s maybe. I think Dak and his contract could make things interesting. I expect the franchise tag to be used on him, but if not, well, that’s one more QB into the fray.

Seems like the same sh*t Cam went through last season. Dude is getting cut. If he wants to sign with the Panthers, let’s get him. Light a fire under both their asses and he and Bridgewater go head to head in an all out cage match style QB battle in training camp. 

• Poo 2

11 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Seems like the same sh*t Cam went through last season. Dude is getting cut. If he wants to sign with the Panthers, let’s get him. Light a fire under both their asses and he and Bridgewater go head to head in an all out cage match style QB battle in training camp. 

LOLOLOL

Stafford is not getting cut.

He's going to be 33 going into next year coming away from a team he didn't do much with in over 10 seasons. No one should be giving up rediculous draft capital for him .

I'd probably go no further than a 2nd rounder , 4th rounder , and Teddy . If they ask for more , fuq em. Let someone else overpay 

• Beer 1