• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Matt Rhule: “Very urgent” to have QB who makes plays in crucial situations

WarPanthers89

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's an awful stat! It also belies the fact that we need a dynamic top tier QB and OC (in my opinion).

Yeah I’m not sold of Brady, and that could make it harder to get a vet qb to come here. I wish Brady would have gotten a head coach gig and we could of just rolled with Sean Ryan.

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

my biggest fear.

We don't make a move for Watson/Stafford.

Then, and some mocks show it, Trevor, Fields, Wilson and Lance all go before #8. 

Matt Rhule drafts Mac at #8 after getting to know him at the Senior Bowl so well. 

No. If 4 qbs go in the top 7, a damn good corner or tackle is there at 8. We have more than one problem.

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

That falls highly on coaching in the Nfl 

You can't coach player confidence.  You can give them a system, teach them the reads, drill those situations, etc.  But at the end of the day, you can't play for them.

As much as I like Teddy B the person, he doesn't have the IT a NFL QB needs.  Teddy is a perfectly serviceable QB who can win you some games.  But when you need the QB to make some plays, he's shown that he's too risk adverse.

Think about KC.  They are literally never out of it because we've seen for the past three season Patrick Mahomes do some bat-poo crazy things to score a boatload of points.  Or Brady?  Or even Brees?  What about Jake?  Or even Cam?  

You need a QB who you can get behind.  Not a QB who will keep you behind.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, cookinbrak said:

No. If 4 qbs go in the top 7, a damn good corner or tackle is there at 8. We have more than one problem.

I agree.  That is why it is my fear.   I'm also in the camp where I could handle them passing on Lance.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

I think we end up trading up to #2 or #3 overall when it's all said and done. 

I do too--they seem to have the Tepper breath on their necks a bit, and he is aggressive.  I do not seem them ending the draft with, "Well, we got some good role players, Mr. Tepper."

Rhule also quoted someone (was it Vince Lombardi?  Can't remember) by saying (and I paraphrase) "In no other sport is success so dependent upon one person as the QB in football" 

Then if you throw in other quotes--about "bad organizations" and not surrounding the QB with talent--you can almost smell the strategy--but it may be us hearing what we want to hear-

Some possible interpretations:

1. We are going to draft QB early and address the OL--the obvious interpretation, and probably the correct one----however....

2. We are going to build the OL and WRs corps and we are going to redeem one of those discarded QBs from a "bad organization" (Darnold, for example).

Think about that case:  Rhule won at Temple and Baylor with players that were overlooked or discarded.  Maybe he thinks he can take a QB like Darnold or Tua in a cheap trade if the Jets and/or Dolphins take a QB in round 1--maybe for a player like Shaq Thompson and a fourth rounder, for example--then trade back in this year of the QB frenzy, surrounding Darnold or Tua with some OL in a very deep OL draft class--and maybe a TE.   I don't think Rhule is that transparent, but he could be bracing us for his strategy--he still has Bridgewater for a year, and he could trade back, pick up a first rounder for 2022, and that would get him the assets he needs to move up should Darnold or Tua not step up.  Then in 2022, you bundle the #1 picks while everyone else is test driving their new QBs, you move up and take a top QB; you can assume that we will be bad if Darnold/Tua or Bridgewater does not improve the position, so two #1 picks should get you where you want to be.  After Lawrence, if there are no QBs they like...this could be the plan.

3. Rhule seemed to mention Mac Jones a lot--there seems to be a man crush there are bit.  As if he is selling the idea--"his turf burn from 2 weeks ago (NCAA title game winner--"makes plays in crucial situations").  First on the field and in the meeting room, smart, makes all the throws---was this his sales pitch to the fans?  At least he seems to have that option open.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think that's twisting Rhule's words a bit. I think what he was saying there is that he wants to see urgency from his QB, not that he's feeling that an upgrade at QB itself was very urgent... though the latter being the case would not be at all surprising.

Agree, reading that it sounds like he meant to say more along the lines of:

I think you want someone who has a history of making plays in crucial situations, WHO IS just very urgent.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Pretty disingenuous to knock Cam for a lack of fourth quarter comebacks. Numerous times he would get the team ahead only to have the defense blow it at the end. Or Deangelo Williams fumble. Or Ron just horribly mismanaging every aspect of the game. 

That's not knocking Cam, he's just simply pointing out a stat.

That said, I don't put nearly as much emphasis on "4th quarter comebacks" nor wins when it come to QB evaluation as many do.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Voth...

Also when trailing at the half...

All props to Voth for digging that up, but trailing at the half is VERY different than being within one score, with the ball, in the fourth.  This year we lost 8 games by one score or less.  I'm pretty sure we had the ball in the fourth with a chance in all eight.

Those 35 games Voth is talking about, we have no idea how those games played out in the fourth.  Ok, we were trailing at the half.  Did we ever get within one score or were they blowouts?

We only had three not close losses this year.  Two of them were to the guys currently waiting to play in the Super Bowl . . . the second of which was tied at the half.  We also had a close loss to KC this year . . . a game we were leading at half time.

Not sure exactly what Voth was trying to do there.  Seems a little "spin-ish" to me.