• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade proposal via ESPN

Zod

We are not negotiating against Houston, we are negotiating against any other team he would accept a trade to. If he won't go to the Jets, it doesn't matter what the Jets would offer because of the trade clause. The million dollar question is who are we negotiating against? Maybe the Jets, the Dolphins and who? 

The price should be determined by where he is willing to accept, not what Houston request. If this was a traditional trade, this trade scenario sounds right. The fact Huston has fugged up and made an unreconcilable situation while signing a contract with a player with a trade clause puts all the power in Watson's corner. No idea where he is willing to go. Otherwise, Houston gets nothing and doesn't have enough picks from bad team management to just sit him for a year and move on with a good replacement option while they choke on that contract. 

Pick #8 and a player unless another team steps up and he actually wants to go there. Then we can talk about multiple 1sts. Even if we don't get him, I hope Houston gets robbed lol. They completely deserve it. I hope Watson understands this and really gives it back to them. Maybe he has the money already and really doesn't care. It's going to be fun because even if we lose it won't be like what Houston is set up for. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

For those saying some non-qbs have fetched 2 1sts, it's a terrible comparison.

1) Those were moves by teams who expected to be in super bowl contention and were banking on being 1 piece away. In their minds, the 2 picks they'd give up would be in the mid-20's or lower, and certainly didn't have a pick like #8 known to be included. The Rams have given up picks 20 and 25 in back to back years for Jalen Ramsey; debatable on merits but at least defensible when getting a 1st team all pro corner. No way a team with a 5-11 record in the midst of a rebuild would give away 2 1sts for a non-qb.

2) Just because a team has given up 2 1sts for a non-qb, doesn't mean it's smart. How much does Houston wish they had those 2 1sts back for Tunsil? They could have taken Sewell at 3, kept their 1st last year and saved the $22 milion per year they have tied up in Tunsil. If you're justifying a decision cause someone else has made an even bigger boneheaded decision, that isn't a good basis for it.

Bottom line, if you think swapping Bridgewater for Watson makes us immediate super bowl contenders without upgrading our 2020 team at all, then you do it. Otherwise if the goal is a super bowl, then we've set ourselves back at least 4 years with the trade. Because we will struggle to improve our team beyond the qb position this year without our 1st and 2nd, plus the need to replace 4 offensive lineman and Samuel as a free agent, and with $11 million less of our cap space from Watson. And in the next couple years, key pieces like DJ and Burns will be in line for extensions and we'll be out the high draft picks to build a competitive cheap roster to afford them. If you trust you have a great GM to build a team around Watson with late round draft picks, then perhaps you can also trust he might find a qb at 8 or elsewhere.

• Beer 2

and furthermore, what assurances do you have that Watson doesn't just get pissed at Panthers management for whatever reason and does the same thing.  Maybe not next season, but within the next three.  Do we get the picks back?  Of course not.  

This is why the program is and should be larger than any one person.  

Edited by Whatev
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

53 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Huddle: I don't care what it takes! You have a chance at Watson, you give up whatever you have to! I'd give up those 3 1s and a 2, and more if I have to.

Me: How come Houston was only 4-12 with a 100% healthy Watson last year?

Huddle: He's only one guy! 

Dont you know, Watson can hike, block all 4 defenders, play TE, backup TE, and even get reps at LB, CB, Safety!!!!1!!!1!! No one has answered me about -"How can Watson throw form IR?" Those future 1s, will be top 3 locks once Watson gets his neck broke. Huddlers dont care.....Get him if cost 18 firsts, CMC, Burns, Chinn...dont be scared!!!

10 hours ago, Zod said:

ESPN weighing in on what the Panthers may be thinking.

Would you do this?

20210129_085447.jpg

Yes. 

Keep CMC, Shaq, DJ, Burns, Chinn and Brown...and add Watson to that? I don’t care about the first round picks if we have those 7 guys on our team. At that point it’s up to Fitterer to do what he was brought in to do....find mid round talent. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, BrianS said:

No.  Too many picks surrendered.  That much draft capital would almost get us up to #1 this year.

Teddy and Deshaun swapping places is a given, as the caps won't work for either team without that.

#8 overall this year, ok.  It's a given.

I'd give up a 1st and third next year and a second the year after.

should change your handle from BrianS to BrainS ....