• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First Round Quarterback Craziness

Mr. Scot

6 hours ago, Daly said:

People want Grier to be over the fire and fried like a hog here but he was a rookie and put in a fire , he’s still an unknown 

Unfortunately, I think Grier is a known. When the Panthers started PJ Walker over him I think that’s all we needed to know about him. It would have been great if a 3rd round QB was the answer but I am pretty sure he is not. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I am starting to think Mac Jones is going to be the pick.  Forget the mobility--smarts trumps mobility.   Not sure I am happy about this, but I trust the experts who had the chance to work with him. for 3 days.

And I think we have been harsh on him..Bama QB curse?  Too many weapons?  Well, you could argue to the move is to draft a smart qb that needs protection and weaponry and give him protection and weaponry. 

I just think that Rhule liked him, and he built a career on recognizing talent that was overlooked.  A guy who covered the SR Bowl said he thinks Jones could be the 4th QB taken. 

I am not happy about this, and this is why I am still bitter about the Rivera victory in DC.  However, how many people had Josh Allen as the #1 QB in that draft--I had him at #4.  So I lack the confidence to act like I know.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am starting to think Mac Jones is going to be the pick.  Forget the mobility--smarts trumps mobility.   Not sure I am happy about this, but I trust the experts who had the chance to work with him. for 3 days.

And I think we have been harsh on him..Bama QB curse?  Too many weapons?  Well, you could argue to the move is to draft a smart qb that needs protection and weaponry and give him protection and weaponry. 

I just think that Rhule liked him, and he built a career on recognizing talent that was overlooked.  A guy who covered the SR Bowl said he thinks Jones could be the 4th QB taken. 

I am not happy about this, and this is why I am still bitter about the Rivera victory in DC.  However, how many people had Josh Allen as the #1 QB in that draft--I had him at #4.  So I lack the confidence to act like I know.

I’m thinking the same thing. But not with our first rounder. We might get Sewell or Slater in the first, then Mac in the second round.

I’ve been very skeptical of Mac (I still am to be honest, but if they think he is worth it after coaching him for a week, who am I to say otherwise?). But, how different is he really from Tua? Mac got more size, Tua is slightly more mobile? On the other hand, not sure how impressed I am with Tua...

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Get your point 

however 

1. Teddy didn’t drop from the sky. Rhule should have seen what he was on tape and said ,nnaaaahhh’.   He didn’t and know acts like he found out his significant other was cheating on him...and he is bitter and surprised about it...like he saw nothing and had no choice.   I hate coaches like that and he is running his mouth  too much about it. 

2. Rhule the ‘culture guy’ brings in Haskins and offers a future contract and gets snubbed.  That totally smacked of desperation 

3. Now, he  seemingly falls in love with a guy for  intangibles and smartness.  Maybe Jones is the next Peyton Manning, maybe he is the next of long line of failed drafted QBs  without the arm to compensate for the speed of defenses 

4  the handling of Newton, not his fault either  

I don’t know about Rhule but those are 4 red flags and we best ,hope that the new GM truly has input and a brain.  

Too, seems to me the NFL is like poker...you don’t tell anyone what you are thinking when it comes to players on your roster   

maybe Rhule is the next Pete Carol.  Maybe not.  I’m not sure either way 

Edited by raleigh-panther

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’m thinking the same thing. But not with our first rounder. We might get Sewell or Slater in the first, then Mac in the second round.

I’ve been very skeptical of Mac (I still am to be honest, but if they think he is worth it after coaching him for a week, who am I to say otherwise?). But, how different is he really from Tua? Mac got more size, Tua is slightly more mobile? On the other hand, not sure how impressed I am with Tua...

This may play into somewhat but it will ultimately boil down to opportunity.  They will have some options up their sleeve (I certainly hope so) to fall back on.  It just may not be the Huddle's choice.

8 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Always funny when guys pick ranges like this to push a narrative. I’d argue the more recent data is more relevant than pre 2016. 

To me the relevance is that there can be droughts. If you see a franchise QB, jump on it. If you see a franchise LT, jump on it. There are still options and sometimes the best option is still garbage. All that is huge. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It's going to be quite interesting come draft night.

I can absolutely see the Panthers picking Jones at 8.  Or trading down to like 12 to pick him and get another pick.  Or drafting the best OT on the board.  Or best skill player.  Or....well anyone else.

There are a lot of scenarios being played out, and one thing we all can recognize about the draft is that it never goes to plan.  There are crazy trades up and down, teams drafting 2nd rounders in the top 10, and the rise and fall of draft picks on the day of the draft...

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

You know what I see?  A bunch of teams who didn't protect their franchise QB.

Bradford, Newton, Luck, Griffin, Bridgewater, Wentz all have had injuries threaten or derail their career.  This is a cautionary tale.

Valid. Having that franchise guy doesn't solve everything if you don't build around him.