• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The idea of trades "crippling" the future (kinda long but let's talk ALL the QBs peeps)

davos

They key is how you are building your roster (if you are competing to make it to the super bowl, retooling, or rebuilding) and how you draft. The Panthers could never survive in the past going the route that the Rams have because we only seem to hit on first round draft picks.

At this point I feel that we are going to be aggressive to trade up in the draft to get our QB and fans should not freak out to your point. We are ONE YEAR away from plugging the major holes but after that, we have a ton on young talent that can compete for years to come, along with being in great cap shape and we would have a franchise QB on a rookie wage. With a year of experience in the NFL (most likely sitting behind Teddy for a little bit, I don’t see him starting all year). This is the best case scenario to me. 

• Beer 1

You either trade up using next years first, or you package (3) 1st with maybe YGM and/or Donte to get Watson. We can survive and build a winner either way. You have to be smart in free agency, and have to draft well in rounds 2-7.  The Rams just replaced their biggest weakness. They will be tough to beat next year.

I am only okay with a Watson trade because I finally saw us draft well beyond the first round last year. I trust in Rhule to keep this going. We can put a line together without having 1st round picks. Put Watson in this offense, and we can compete with anybody offensively. Our defense is young, and will only get better going forward. 

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

They key is how you are building your roster (if you are competing to make it to the super bowl, retooling, or rebuilding) and how you draft. The Panthers could never survive in the past going the route that the Rams have because we only seem to hit on first round draft picks.

At this point I feel that we are going to be aggressive to trade up in the draft to get our QB and fans should not freak out to your point. We are ONE YEAR away from plugging the major holes but after that, we have a ton on young talent that can compete for years to come, along with being in great cap shape and we would have a franchise QB on a rookie wage. With a year of experience in the NFL (most likely sitting behind Teddy for a little bit, I don’t see him starting all year). This is the best case scenario to me. 

Exactly.  I think people need to get themselves ready for a different style of team building.  I can only guesstimate at this point but I think we truly will be aggressive.  It's not just smoke and mirrors/owner speak.  Despite the noise, you are right that we'll be in great shape after next season and a new GM to construct it all, they want to find the guy to build it all around and the NFC will be wide open next season.

Especially if Brady/Gronk retire after another SB win. 

I agree. Fans get fixated on the draft as the only means to be successful but many teams have built their Super Bowl caliber teams through free agency, as well. We can't be so myopic in our views of building through the draft. That also means sometimes spending draft capital to get better as a team, either through trading up or trading for talent.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree. Fans get fixated on the draft as the only means to be successful but many teams have built their Super Bowl caliber teams through free agency, as well. We can't be so myopic in our views of building through the draft. That also means sometimes spending draft capital to get better as a team, either through trading up or trading for talent.

Yepppp 

good post Davos

2 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

Just read Houston wants two #1, two #2, & two young defensive stars for Watson 

Two firsts is a vague statement. Two firsts from say a playoff team with a bright future like the Colts is no more valuable than our #8 pick this year.

20 minutes ago, Murph said:

Two firsts is a vague statement. Two firsts from say a playoff team with a bright future like the Colts is no more valuable than our #8 pick this year.

This is never a guarantee.... It's simply the cost of having it now. A 2022 First is only worth a 2021 Second, A 2023 first is valued as a 2021 third... Do you think the Dolphins (or anyone for that matter) expected the Texans first to turn into #3 overall?