• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones Draft Stock

On 2/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, Beerfacedlegend said:

I’d take him at #2 only person I’d take over Mac jones is Lawrence 

If you watched the Coaches Corner broadcast of the National Championship game, you'd see why Jones was so productive.

Literally every pass he hit in that game was scripted. He didn't come off of his first read on any pass play that I saw. The RPO game was too much for Ohio State, Jones made his ONE read on his key, and made the pass to his FIRST read, every time. Ohio State ran a lot of single high safety in order to contain the run game, thinking they could get pressure on Jones and force some errant throws. But, they only got pressure once or twice and every single RPO Jones made the read and the throw. 

His production was based on the talent surrounding him and the offense, not his abilities. Did he make the throws? Sure. But in the NFL you're asked to do more than make the one read given for a play based on one defensive key. I wouldn't take Jones before Round 4. 

• Pie 4

48 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

If you watched the Coaches Corner broadcast of the National Championship game, you'd see why Jones was so productive.

Literally every pass he hit in that game was scripted. He didn't come off of his first read on any pass play that I saw. The RPO game was too much for Ohio State, Jones made his ONE read on his key, and made the pass to his FIRST read, every time. Ohio State ran a lot of single high safety in order to contain the run game, thinking they could get pressure on Jones and force some errant throws. But, they only got pressure once or twice and every single RPO Jones made the read and the throw. 

His production was based on the talent surrounding him and the offense, not his abilities. Did he make the throws? Sure. But in the NFL you're asked to do more than make the one read given for a play based on one defensive key. I wouldn't take Jones before Round 4. 

Bingo. People get caught up in the results and overlook what led to them. He's accurate. He's smart. I'm sure he works hard and is a great teammate. But, he's very athletically limited.

Wait... am I talking about Mac Jones or Teddy Bridgewater?

I honestly don't think they're all that dissimilar.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bingo. People get caught up in the results and overlook what led to them. He's accurate. He's smart. I'm sure he works hard and is a great teammate. But, he's very athletically limited.

I am starting to see it.  His job was to put the ball in the pre-determined area on time.  3 stud WRs, a stud C, LT, G, RB---hard to imagine screwing up. 

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, what Fields was asked to do was far more complex than anything Jones did throughout the season. I also like Fields athletic ability. I feel like he could have a Herbert like year in this offense. A lot of people here seem to dislike Brady but much of Brady's offense was built to do what Teddy is comfortable with.

I also saw a thread on a potential Jimmy G trade with Teddy, where most people said they are the same guy. Jimmy G has a YPA of at least a yard higher than Teddy every season they have played. Jimmy also hasn't had receivers in New England or San Francisco, other than Kittle, that come close to what we currently have. I tend to believe we'd get the Jimmy G who stepped up when Brady was out. He's not a dink and dunk guy.

14 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Honestly, what Fields was asked to do was far more complex than anything Jones did throughout the season. I also like Fields athletic ability. I feel like he could have a Herbert like year in this offense. A lot of people here seem to dislike Brady but much of Brady's offense was built to do what Teddy is comfortable with.

I also saw a thread on a potential Jimmy G trade with Teddy, where most people said they are the same guy. Jimmy G has a YPA of at least a yard higher than Teddy every season they have played. Jimmy also hasn't had receivers in New England or San Francisco, other than Kittle, that come close to what we currently have. I tend to believe we'd get the Jimmy G who stepped up when Brady was out. He's not a dink and dunk guy.

Fields is definitely an intriguing prospect but he also definitely runs hot/cold. In all fairness, so did Cam.

Jimmy G is definitely better than Teddy. I don't think he's a LOT better but definitely better. I still don't think he's good enough and when combined with the notable durability concerns I think he's just a flat out no go IMO.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fields is definitely an intriguing prospect but he also definitely runs hot/cold. In all fairness, so did Cam.

Jimmy G is definitely better than Teddy. I don't think he's a LOT better but definitely better. I still don't think he's good enough and when combined with the notable durability concerns I think he's just a flat out no go IMO.

Again, depends on the guy you get. 

As an aside, I found it interesting that Brian Kelly was asked about his margin of defeat in BCS/Playoffs because they lost by 14 to Alabama but no one asked Ryan Day about it. 

His stock is in the right spot , fields will fall . Mac jones will be our pick at 8 or tre lance depends which type of offense we want to run . But rhules offense screams quick smart Mac jones . People hate the guy because he has a dad bod and doesn’t lift also does help that a lot of people in the Carolinas hate Alabama 

• Poo 1

36 minutes ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

His stock is in the right spot , fields will fall . Mac jones will be our pick at 8 or tre lance depends which type of offense we want to run . But rhules offense screams quick smart Mac jones . People hate the guy because he has a dad bod and doesn’t lift also does help that a lot of people in the Carolinas hate Alabama 

No it’s because he is not worth a first rd pick but keep dreaming.

4 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Again this is why Draft season is so intriguing. I disagree with your posts about Fields and Jones. 

To me, Fields comes from a one read system - Ohio St are notorious for only asking their QB to read half the field and, if nothing is there immediately, to take off. 

Jones ran a much more complex system at Alabama and was asked to process a lot of information. You don't throw 40+ TDs, hold off a 5 star QB and appease Sarkisian (now the Texas HC) and Saban if you're a limited QB during a National Title run. Sarkisian's system was sensational and obviously Jones is surrounded by NFL talent, but the dude just went out there an executed. Bottom line. 

TL;DR: Fields is a fantastic athlete for the QB position who still has question marks for me concerning his ability to see the field. Jones barely clears the bar athletically as an NFL QB, but clearly processes the field well. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Again this is why Draft season is so intriguing. I disagree with your posts about Fields and Jones. 

To me, Fields comes from a one read system - Ohio St are notorious for only asking their QB to read half the field and, if nothing is there immediately, to take off. 

Jones ran a much more complex system at Alabama and was asked to process a lot of information. You don't throw 40+ TDs, hold off a 5 star QB and appease Sarkisian (now the Texas HC) and Saban if you're a limited QB during a National Title run. Sarkisian's system was sensational and obviously Jones is surrounded by NFL talent, but the dude just went out there an executed. Bottom line. 

TL;DR: Fields is a fantastic athlete for the QB position who still has question marks for me concerning his ability to see the field. Jones barely clears the bar athletically as an NFL QB, but clearly processes the field well. 

I think there’s a stat out there showing most of Fields biggest plays came from his second or third read. He torched Clemson on second reads. I don’t believe Mac Jones had to make many reads. He called hike and Smith was open. 

• Beer 1