• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wentz update: Trade is close, with three teams involved

Mr. Scot

8 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Yup, you are correct, you answered the question that was asked --- kudos mate.

The thing I don't get is all these names are being kicked around...Trubisky, Minshew, Wentz, etc...

...but no mention of Cam?

We cut Cam because he was washed up. He went to NE, who had cut their qb because he wasn't worth keeping. And NE did no better with Cam..

And the qb that they let go? That we didn't want? Hopefully, he found something to keep him busy.

9 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Between the two of them? Cam and its not close. 

You factor in the cost to aquire, contract length and salary cap implications? 

Yeah I'm taking Cam in that scenario 100% of the time. 

Now granted neither are going to happen but you didn't ask about the realistic chance it did, just who we'd take.

Unless Cam was just healing/overcoming the surgery, I do not want him.  He was throwing balls into the dirt.  That suggests he is having some weakness in his range of motion/delivery.  He looked like he was throwing a medicine ball at times.  I met Cam--loved him.  he signed my son's Cam jersey--but when I suggested that he might be done (and I always blamed Rivera and Hurney for his short career, been saying it since 2012), people called me racist.  Nothing to do with race.  Wentz has more upside, and that is only because he is younger and has not taken the beating Cam takes.   We may have seen the end of Cam already, but if he is signed, he will not start. Wentz will probably be given the starting gig.

• Beer 2

Personally, I think this trade deal may have backfired big time on the Eagles. If they keep Wentz, they have a controversy.  Wentz knows he was shopped and QB-desperate teams did not see him as elite.  The team rallies around Hurts now.  Wentz cannot be easily traded (contract, 2020 performance)--so the Eagles may have a cancerous situation on their hands. Wentz is not a really good fit in Chicago, and I see him in Indy blue--but not Bear navy. People are going to walk away from Philly and their bluff, and soon they will lose interest in the Houston fold.  Both teams do not want to enter 2021 with a disgruntled QB situation--and both teams, imo, caused it. 

I have no idea how this will turn out, but Wentz and his contract might be all he is worth.  Throw in a second rounder if it makes you feel better about losing your franchise QB. 

Houston, however, probably thinks this storm will blow over and they will draft his supporting cast and there will be smiles all around.  Or this could be part of their plan--opposite of the Eagle strategy.  We'll see.

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's starting to look like all these trade offer rumors likely originated from the Eagles desperately trying to drum up a market. If I had to guess, he ends up getting dealt to the Colts for peanuts.

They were already confirmed to be in negotiations with three teams when the story came out. Why would you need to drum up a market when there already is one?

The problem is they're asking too much and nobody's willing to meet their price.

Here is my question:  As Panther fans, do we want Wentz moving on to Indy?  They pick 21st overall, so they do not threaten us on a trade up.  The Eagles pick 7th, and they might decide to take a QB if Wentz is traded--even if Hurts is on the roster--I doubt it, but the new coach might not be a Hurts guy.

The more we see teams that pick 1-15 or so satisfy their QB needs before the draft, the more likely one drops to us.

This is how the WFT game hurt us.  We are now one of the crowd fighting for 2-3 QBs, like a flock of seagulls at the beach going after a discarded chicken wing.

finding nemo seagulls GIF

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

They were already confirmed to be in negotiations with three teams when the story came out. Why would you need to drum up a market when there already is one?

The problem is they're asking too much and nobody's willing to meet their price.

Because they were probably only being offered peanuts. I think all that talk of a 1st rounder and possibly even more was pure BS from the Eagles' end.

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Because they were probably only being offered peanuts. I think all that talk of a 1st rounder and possibly even more was pure BS from the Eagles' end.

I haven't seen talk that anyone offered more than a first rounder from any of the sources.

I've seen talk that the Eagles wanted that, and even that Chris Ballard hung up on them when they asked for it, but not that anyone was offering it.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Unless Cam was just healing/overcoming the surgery, I do not want him.  He was throwing balls into the dirt.  That suggests he is having some weakness in his range of motion/delivery.  He looked like he was throwing a medicine ball at times.  I met Cam--loved him.  he signed my son's Cam jersey--but when I suggested that he might be done (and I always blamed Rivera and Hurney for his short career, been saying it since 2012), people called me racist.  Nothing to do with race.  Wentz has more upside, and that is only because he is younger and has not taken the beating Cam takes.   We may have seen the end of Cam already, but if he is signed, he will not start. Wentz will probably be given the starting gig.

Wentz is maybe the better QB at this point? I honestly don't even know. 

I mean neither are coming here and neither are even on my top 5 choices of QBs I'd want. 

The things with Wentz are 1) price to aquire him. I want ZERO PART in trading at least a first round pick (maybe more) for him. That is entirely too much for a massive unknown that we would be hitched to for the long term.

Brings us to point 2) That contract. Oof. Any team bringing him in better be damn sure he's the answer because you're stuck with him for the long haul. And he's already 28 years old. Not exactly Watson, Mahommes, Lamar etc.

Finally point 3) his shitty play aside, ignoring his awful contract and the insane price we'd be paying to even get the opportunity to pay him loads of cash to maybe get back to how he played 3 years ago... Theres still the elephant in the room of him being a poo teammate. I want zero part of that in a young lockerroom. 

Cam won't happen for obvious reasons but by comparison, no draft capital needed to aquire, would be a short deal with an easy out, would cost a fraction of what Teddy Bridgewater is getting, even less so of Wentz.

For me between the two its a no brainer. That said, I took sizzles bait and am helping to derail the thread which certainly was not my intention. 

Back to your regularly scheduled program of which franchise throws a 1st out the door for Wentz 

• Pie 1

Colts offered 2 2nd for Wentz... not even a first

NFL analyst Ron Jaworski reports the Colts have offered "two second-round draft picks" for Carson Wentz.

It's the best offer the Eagles have for Wentz. The Eagles are holding out for a Matthew Stafford type deal, but that's not going to happen. Teams have been unwilling to even offer a late first-round pick for Wentz. The Wentz market has cooled in recent weeks, with Chicago reportedly losing interest. Philly is going to have to come off its asking price to trade Wentz this offseason.

Edited by Ja Rhule

3 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Colts offered 2 2nd for Wentz... not even a first

NFL analyst Ron Jaworski reports the Colts have offered "two second-round draft picks" for Carson Wentz.

It's the best offer the Eagles have for Wentz. The Eagles are holding out for a Matthew Stafford type deal, but that's not going to happen. Teams have been unwilling to even offer a late first-round pick for Wentz. The Wentz market has cooled in recent weeks, with Chicago reportedly losing interest. Philly is going to have to come off its asking price to trade Wentz this offseason.

That’s actually pretty fair all things considered