• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wentz update: Trade is close, with three teams involved

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Who do you suggest?

Draft pick, someone of the caliber of Mitch T. who is a FA who maybe didn’t play to potential because of coaching and the org, then a third qb who is raw but has good traits that could possibly be coached up. Teddy is who he is, the org poo all over him this offseason. We need a new group going forward.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

1.  He's under contract.

2.  He's not a pussy. 

The NFL is a big-boy league and Teddy is a mature adult who understands ups and downs of the business.

I was talking about the team. Teddy really has little choice in the matter.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Unless a trade occurs, Teddy will be here next season.  It makes little sense to cut him outright and it will give a rookie QB some time to learn the NFL.  Signing another mid-tier FA QB to compete with Teddy is about pointless.

We save 8 million by cutting him then 21 million the season after as others have said. I’d bring in another cheap vet to mentor/start over keeping teddy. Just depends on price. Would not give up draft picks at all. So it does make sense if it works out. If we can’t go that route then keep him.

Edited by TheRumGone

24 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Draft pick, someone of the caliber of Mitch T. who is a FA who maybe didn’t play to potential because of coaching and the org, then a third qb who is raw but has good traits that could possibly be coached up. Teddy is who he is, the org poo all over him this offseason. We need a new group going forward.

I totally agree with this and would be on board.

24 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Unless a trade occurs, Teddy will be here next season.  It makes little sense to cut him outright and it will give a rookie QB some time to learn the NFL.  Signing another mid-tier FA QB to compete with Teddy is about pointless.

Teddy will most definitely not be here next year we will bring someone else in if we decide to go high draft pick qb. Teddy is finished here have u seen what we’ve done to him?

16 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

We save 8 million by cutting him then 21 million the season after as others have said. I’d bring in another cheap vet to mentor/start over teddy. Just depends on price. Would not give up draft picks at all. So it does make sense if it works out. If we can’t go that route then keep him.

Yep.  I imagine that's our last resort and could see a cut if/when no one wants Teddy via trade.

Have to look at that difference in dead cap relative to the cap relief as usable gains, which as you mention, is roughly $8 mil. 

So, yep, take what we get from cutting Teddy for a much more appropriate backup/bridge QB situation and with probably $5 mil more to spend.  I don't think we need to fork out any huge contract for another vet QB, looking at backups around the league, it's a 3-5 mil type situation.  Sure, we are eating ~$10 mil towards no one, but I view that as money well spent to just keep Teddy away.

That dead money would just be part of another lost season of Bridgwater..so if we can use the usable gains for more than just replacing him with another meandering vet, then it's an easy decision IMO. 

That's a few mil towards Moton, or a FA at LB or CB. 

• Beer 1