• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay mocks us to trade up with Miami to get Trey Lance

electro's horse

Todd is slightly less obnoxious as Kiper.  Neither of them are hitting on much.  Lance could be the next big thing or he could be Blaine Gabbert.  Remember him.  Kiper had a man crush on him.  There is a old standard I think parcells had to evaluate qb's.  Experience was a big part of that formula.  Another was accuracy.  Wilson and Lance are raw.  Lawrence, Fields and Jones were surrounded by elite talent.  This entire class has question marks.  Trading up makes the gamble an all in situation.

Jumping to #3 for Lance makes me nervous, but honestly I'm just gonna have to trust our staff's judgement on this one. They're going to do A TON of homework on these guys and of those next three QBs after Lawrence there's a lot to like about all three but also legit concerns about all three. So, if we jump I'm just gonna hope we made the right call.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jumping to #3 for Lance makes me nervous, but honestly I'm just gonna have to trust our staff's judgement on this one. They're going to do A TON of homework on these guys and of those next three QBs after Lawrence there's a lot to like about all three but also legit concerns about all three. So, if we jump I'm just gonna hope we made the right call.

It makes me nervous too and I’m a huge fan of his. He just has a super high risk of busting because he’s so raw. And that’s a lot to give up on a gamble. And he is more of a gamble than the others. It’s his potential that is so enticing.

as far as who you’re getting as a person there is no one better in this draft than Trey Lance. He would absolutely give everything he has to be the best he could be for this org. 

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

It makes me nervous too and I’m a huge fan of his. He just has a super high risk of busting because he’s so raw. And that’s a lot to give up on a gamble. And he is more of a gamble than the others. It’s his potential that is so enticing.

as far as who you’re getting as a person there is no one better in this draft than Trey Lance. He would absolutely give everything he has to be the best he could be for this org. 

Still a lot of time and potential QB moves out there that could impact what we do. Safe to say that looking back at these January/February/early March mock drafts will illicit a lot of laughs in April/May.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Still a lot of time and potential QB moves out there that could impact what we do. Safe to say that looking back at these January/February/early March mock drafts will illicit a lot of laughs in April/May.

For sure. I remember people telling me I was crazy when I said Odell was the best wr in the 2014 class and we should move up to get him because he was gonna be a superstar. That’s when we desperately needed talented wr’s for Cam. We ended up staying put and drafting Kelvin.

So I am willing to trade up for talented players but I just wouldn’t do it for Lance. His bust rate is too high for me. I would take him at 8 though. One top ten pick mistake won’t fug you over too bad, two top ten mistakes (we’ll probably be drafting top ten next year if we don’t have a qb) and a high second rounder AND a bust qb would be very bad for our future. 

it’s also why I’m cool with trading picks for Watson. He is known top 5 elite caliber player.

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

For sure. I remember people telling me I was crazy when I said Odell was the best wr in the 2014 class and we should move up to get him because he was gonna be a superstar. That’s when we desperately needed talented wr’s for Cam. We ended up staying put and drafting Kelvin.

So I am willing to trade up for talented players but I just wouldn’t do it for Lance. His bust rate is too high for me. I would take him at 8 though. One top ten pick mistake won’t fug you over too bad, two top ten mistakes (we’ll probably be drafting top ten next year if we don’t have a qb) and a high second rounder AND a bust qb would be very bad for our future. 

it’s also why I’m cool with trading picks for Watson. He is known top 5 elite caliber player.

I am a big believer in Lance because he has the highest ceiling of any of the other QB's in the draft and has some potentially elite intangibles. However.....he is still not a sure bet and pushing a bunch of chips into the pot with the potential to bust.....not gonna do a lot for our future as a franchise. You better be REALLY sure in your evaluation.

In theory I would love to have Watson. To me, it's about the price. I do realize that he has 10+ years left in the league but if we trade the farm(especially if we give up guys like Burns or Chinn or Moore) then you basically reset your rebuild close to square one but with an elite QB. Does that make us better? Yeah. Does that make us good? Probably not.

So, I would love nothing more than to have Watson but if it costs us the farm in terms of existing talent(of which we have so little) or in terms of future draft capital(of which we need so badly).....is the net win big enough to matter? If at the end of Watson's current contract, he doesn't want to stick around here, would it even be worth it?

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am a big believer in Lance because he has the highest ceiling of any of the other QB's in the draft and has some potentially elite intangibles. However.....he is still not a sure bet and pushing a bunch of chips into the pot with the potential to bust.....not gonna do a lot for our future as a franchise. You better be REALLY sure in your evaluation.

In theory I would love to have Watson. To me, it's about the price. I do realize that he has 10+ years left in the league but if we trade the farm(especially if we give up guys like Burns or Chinn or Moore) then you basically reset your rebuild close to square one but with an elite QB. Does that make us better? Yeah. Does that make us good? Probably not.

So, I would love nothing more than to have Watson but if it costs us the farm in terms of existing talent(of which we have so little) or in terms of future draft capital(of which we need so badly).....is the net win big enough to matter? If at the end of Watson's current contract, he doesn't want to stick around here, would it even be worth it?

Those are definitely things to think about as far as Watson. I’ve said before I’d be willing to trade Burns or Chinn. Not both. That one report said two young defensive players. No way if that’s the case. The front office would have to be very confident in their abilities to find talent in round 3-7. And that’s hard as fug to do. It’s possible but so much harder.

honestly our safest bet is staying put at 8, hoping one of the qbs is there and drafting one of them. If not just keep building the team up as much as possible and in two years moving up in the draft to get the guy we really want. I don’t like it. It’s gonna suck as a fan having a shitty qb but these trading moves are huge gambles that can backfire big time.

dream scenario: Lance falls to 8. We cut teddy, bring in a cheap vet/mentor for Lance and bring him along at a good pace and hope he’s a beast while building up the team around him. If down the road we know he isn’t working out we still have a team built up and can keep going after a franchise qb.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Those are definitely things to think about as far as Watson. I’ve said before I’d be willing to trade Burns or Chinn. Not both. That one report said two young defensive players. No way if that’s the case. The front office would have to be very confident in their abilities to find talent in round 3-7. And that’s hard as fug to do. It’s possible but so much harder.

honestly our safest bet is staying put at 8, hoping one of the qbs is there and drafting one of them. If not just keep building the team up as much as possible and in two years moving up in the draft to get the guy we really want. I don’t like it. It’s gonna suck as a fan having a shitty qb but these trading moves are huge gambles that can backfire big time.

dream scenario: Lance falls to 8. We cut teddy, bring in a cheap vet/mentor for Lance and bring him along at a good pace and hope he’s a beast while building up the team around him. 

And I am also okay trading up above #8 provided it makes sense. Trading anything more than maybe a future 1st and a mid-rounder is going to give me a lot of heartburn. Even at that price, it's gonna sting. 

Let's hope the QB market goes bananas and a lot of these QB thirsty teams get their situations established before the draft. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

Todd is slightly less obnoxious as Kiper.  Neither of them are hitting on much.  Lance could be the next big thing or he could be Blaine Gabbert.  Remember him.  Kiper had a man crush on him.  There is a old standard I think parcells had to evaluate qb's.  Experience was a big part of that formula.  Another was accuracy.  Wilson and Lance are raw.  Lawrence, Fields and Jones were surrounded by elite talent.  This entire class has question marks.  Trading up makes the gamble an all in situation.

• Be a three-year starter
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  • Complete at least 60 percent of passes thrown

Source

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, RockyTopVol said:

Completely agree. The Eagles and the Lions will need a QB...and that's after NYJ, Atlanta, and possibly Houston had already picked. We need to be aggressive if we want one of those three guys. 

Why the Eagles?  They still have Wentz (at least for now) and drafted Jordan Love last year.  If they trade Wentz I think they’ll roll with Love.  But yeah, I was thinking Lance would be there at 8, but the closer we get to the draft I’m just not sure.  I really want Lance. 

12 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Why the Eagles?  They still have Wentz (at least for now) and drafted Jordan Love last year.  If they trade Wentz I think they’ll roll with Love.  But yeah, I was thinking Lance would be there at 8, but the closer we get to the draft I’m just not sure.  I really want Lance. 

The Packers drafted Love, the Eagles have Hurts