• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Power Shift

NAS

These players that want their input are the same ones that are strapping their team financially.  They want the biggest and the highest contract for their position and expect miracles on the GM to put a monster O-line in from of them with Beast Mode running the ball. 

if I were Seattle or any other team that has a player screaming for rights to have input. The first thing I would tell them is renegotiate your contract to a team friendly deal.  If you can't do your part to help get a winning squad by reducing your mammoth salary.  Than STFU and deal with who we can afford.

You can't expect to take 1/4 of the cap and than scream you don't have anyone to support you.  Those players cost money too. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

These players that want their input are the same ones that are strapping their team financially. 

The first thing I would tell them is renegotiate your contract to a team friendly deal.  If you can't do your part to help get a winning squad by reducing your mammoth salary.  Than STFU and deal with who we can afford.

Early leader in the clubhouse for 2021 Post of the Year!

Edited by SizzleBuzz

Great idea, until you include politics and self-serving agendas.  These are people in their 20s who, for the most part, majored in football in college.  I can tell you that when I started teaching in high school and they asked me to coach, I thought I would be smarter than everyone else because none of the other coaches played in college.  I was wrong.  I was the dumbest person in the film room for a while.  I had to learn other positions, how to watch film, how to relate to players effectively, etc.

A QB may know what he likes in a coach, and maybe the captains should be heard, but by no means is he deserving a seat at the adult table. 

Let's say there is a head coaching vacancy and Billy Bob the QB wants Vince Lombardi IV as the next coach.  The owner and GM and President etc. decide to go with George Allen III.  Billy Bob does not like George Allen III so he demands a trade.  Or he blames George Allen III every time he makes a bad play call or the QB throws a pick. 

I think the responsible GM should listen to the players, but to give them a seat at the table when decisions are being made?  Nope.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Great idea, until you include politics and self-serving agendas.  These are people in their 20s who, for the most part, majored in football in college.  I can tell you that when I started teaching in high school and they asked me to coach, I thought I would be smarter than everyone else because none of the other coaches played in college.  I was wrong.  I was the dumbest person in the film room for a while.  I had to learn other positions, how to watch film, how to relate to players effectively, etc.

A QB may know what he likes in a coach, and maybe the captains should be heard, but by no means is he deserving a seat at the adult table. 

Let's say there is a head coaching vacancy and Billy Bob the QB wants Vince Lombardi IV as the next coach.  The owner and GM and President etc. decide to go with George Allen III.  Billy Bob does not like George Allen III so he demands a trade.  Or he blames George Allen III every time he makes a bad play call or the QB throws a pick. 

I think the responsible GM should listen to the players, but to give them a seat at the table when decisions are being made?  Nope.

I don't get to tell my boss what I think the future of the company should be.  Why are athletes any different?  Just because they are paid millions that means they get to tell their superiors how to run their organizations?  Nope, that's not how business works.  Companies have structural hierarchies for a reason.  The NFL is still a business at its core and the players--'employees' need to understand their role in the organization.  If they want a NFL executive job, retire first and then give it a go.  Don't try to be a player/GM.  Sure that works in Madden, but not in real life.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

I mean we can article swap all day, but "input" is what he wanted.  The Texans ignored Watson on this matter.  Which begs the question, if your input was never going to be taken seriously, nor with any real consideration, is that really input?

Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson bothered by team's hiring process, sources say (espn.com)

1 hour ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I mean we can article swap all day, but "input" is what he wanted.  The

Texans ignored Watson on this matter. 

Which begs the question, if your input was never going to be taken seriously, nor with any real consideration, is that really input?

And he was given his chance to provide said "input".   

["McNair had a dinner meeting with Watson over the weekend. During that meeting, he asked Watson for his opinions and thoughts on who the next head coach should be."]

The Texans did not "ignore" Watson on the matter.  In fact, McNair did the opposite of that, he specifically provided Watson a forum for discourse and listened to his opinions and thoughts.

["McNair had a dinner meeting with Watson over the weekend. During that meeting, he asked Watson for his opinions and thoughts on who the next head coach should be."]

You have no idea if Watson's "input" was "ignored" or "never taken seriously"...but if that's the case, too f*****g bad.  You know it's possible Watson's "opinions and thoughts" were bad ones. 

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

And he was given his chance to provide said "input".   

[McNair had a dinner meeting with Watson over the weekend. During that meeting, he asked Watson for his opinions and thoughts on who the next head coach should be."]

The Texans did not "ignore" Watson on the matter.  In fact, McNair did the opposite of that, he specifically provided Watson a forum for discourse and listened to his opinions and thoughts.

[McNair had a dinner meeting with Watson over the weekend. During that meeting, he asked Watson for his opinions and thoughts on who the next head coach should be.]

You have no idea if Watson's "input" was "ignored" or "never taken seriously"...but if that's the case, too f*****g bad.  You know it's possible Watson's "opinions and thoughts" were bad ones. 

You seem angry.  

"Watson offered input on potential general manager candidates, but the Texans neither considered nor consulted with those endorsed by their franchise quarterback, league sources told ESPN."

To me, that comes off as: The Texans ignored Watson on this matter, and input was never going to be taken seriously, nor with any real consideration. That's my thoughts on the issue of "input".  You're correct, it's absolutely possible that his input was horrendous.  However, it seems from the start, the Texans had no plans of taking his input seriously.  

I think we can agree on that there are reasons both you and I, sit in our home offices and debate Adam Schefter articles, as opposed to working for any NFL organization.  

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

You seem angry.  

"Watson offered input on potential general manager candidates, but the Texans neither considered nor consulted with those endorsed by their franchise quarterback, league sources told ESPN."

To me, that comes off as: The Texans ignored Watson on this matter, and input was never going to be taken seriously, nor with any real consideration. That's my thoughts on the issue of "input".  You're correct, it's absolutely possible that his input was horrendous.  However, it seems from the start, the Texans had no plans of taking his input seriously.  

I think we can agree on that there are reasons both you and I, sit in our home offices and debate Adam Schefter articles, as opposed to working for any NFL organization.  

Cheers!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, including you.

So your thesis is Deshaun got his feelings hurt and as a result...

...what should happen?  I'm unclear on what you think should happen from here?

Me personally I believe the Texans should hold him to the letter of his contract and keep him as their QB --- DW's contract doesn't have a "my feelings are hurt" provision in it. 

8 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Me personally I believe the Texans should hold him to the letter of his contract and keep him as their QB --- DW's contract doesn't have a "my feelings are hurt" provision in it. 

I agree with you on this.  From my understanding, is that the Texans have all the contractual  leverage.  So now it comes down to, if Watson is willing to sit out and loose substantial money. 

• Beer 1