• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton to be tagged?

Mr. Scot

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There we go.

Stanley as a template? He's a left tackle 🤔

I feel like the distinction between LT and RT has gotten smaller in recent years, so the pay scale might be more similar than we used to see.  Maybe they just mean they’re using the contract structure as a template?  Who knows.  

Moton is solid, which is better than we’ve had at OT since Oher had his concussion.  I say pay the man.  Granted, I don’t want to pay him Ronnie Stanley money.  Like someone else said, Lane Johnson is getting $18M per year at RT and Moton’s not that good.  That’s a steep price, but market value is always going up.  But if he’s getting tagged it gives us some time to figure it all out.  I’m tired of having turnstiles at OT

13 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

He's been a workhorse for us the last 3 years (fug you Ron for benching him all of his rookie season), only missing a handful of snaps. And, IMO, been very good. I'd have no issue paying him $15-17M for the next 5 years, if he'd agree to it.

FWIW, tag price would be $14.5M.

The tag Im ok with...but he will want more then that in an extension. So that's where I'd feel uncomfortable. Realistically I think we're gonna be looking at a decreasing cap the next two or three years.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you have contract terms he agrees with, sure.

If you don't, not so easy.

Well the Panthers once again fug themselves by ignoring oline. They have no starting LT, no LG, no RG and no RT signed lol. And an injured center with one year left...all the while with the worst cap situation in the NFL, and 5 wins.

Easily the worst oline situation in the NFL.

I have faith things will get better but if someone said they have faith we will be competitive with the Texans to become the new age Browns there wouldn’t be much a difference.

I don’t blame Moton for cashing out the Panthers has given him all the leverage in the world and then some.

Edited by onmyown

10 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

The tag Im ok with...but he will want more then that in an extension. So that's where I'd feel uncomfortable. Realistically I think we're gonna be looking at a decreasing cap the next two or three years.

The good thing about getting a deal in place now is that we could limit his cap hit this year with guaranteed money coming down the road instead of having to eat the $14.5M all at once. Not sure I agree with a decreasing cap, but if it does happen, we can fix that down the road.

Edited by shaqattaq

10 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

16-17 Mill Per for 4+ years is going to be a steal in 2 years. Don't be surprised to see a Tackle break 20mill next offseason... Or hell, this offseason. 

14 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

You have to pay solid lineman big money nowadays because it’s hard to even get solid lineman anymore. There is a lack of talent. Moton is good /great. We need him.

It just isn't worth moving Moton to LT.  Best case scenario is he is as good as LT as he is RT, but that more than likely wouldn't be the case.  And he's already a Pro Bowl level RT at 26 years old.  Doesn't turn 27 until August.  He'll probably be playing at an All-Pro level these next 5 years barring injury.  

Sure, maybe if we found someone that could start at RT, then maybe try moving Moton.  But we don't have that right now and we didn't last season.  And if you are going to look for a RT when you already have a stud, then you might as well look for a LT.  It just doesn't make sense to mess up something you already know is good to try and patch up another hole, which even if it works out just creates another hole.  Panthers should just try and find a good LT so that we can have 2-bookend tackles for the next 5 years minimum.

That is why I want Sewell so bad if we don't get a QB.  Sewell on a rookie contract and Moton on a 5-year deal would be amazing.  It would make us one of the best spots for a QB regardless of what happens with the WR position in 2022.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I've always thought we should move Moton to left tackle. I see no reason why, if we're going to pay him big money, we shouldn't do it now. I think he can be just as good on the left side as he's been on the right.

When Moton played LT for a couple of games in preseason 2 years ago, I read somewhere (online, but I cannot remember where) that while he played well, he was terribly uncomfortable on the left side and when given the choice, moved back to right. Now, if this is true, moving him to LT isn't an option. He's not signing a long-term contract to play a position he doesn't want to play. 

I can't think of any other reason we wouldn't have him at LT.

36 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Well the Panthers once again fug themselves by ignoring oline. They have no starting LT, no LG, no RG and no RT signed lol. And an injured center with one year left...all the while with the worst cap situation in the NFL, and 5 wins.

Whoa slow down buddy. The Saints want to have a word with you. Hell the Eagles, Rams, Falcons, Chiefs, Packers or Steelers would all be over the frickin moon to swap cap space with the Panthers.

For the record, the Panthers are 15th in the NFL in cap space, technically slightly above average. Plus they have 2 obvious cuts in Weatherly and Short that frees up an extra $16 million even without designating either as a post-June 1st cut; those moves alone would jump them up to 8th, all else being equal. Let's rein back the hyperbole.

• Pie 1