• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance - best QB of this draft not named Lawrence

NAS

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They said.  Did they offer proof?  That's a big statement to make. 

I mean it has been reported in several places including CBS and Fox Sports that he wore a GPS tracker during the game against James Madison, and that the tracking data was provided to scouts. Based upon this data, NextGen stats even confirmed that it was faster than any NFL QB last season. And the 12th fastest during the season. So I don't know what more to tell you, unless it's a vast conspiracy by the NFL and NCAA (LOL).

Anyway, Lance and his team are basically of the opinion that the 40-yard dash in underwear is outdated with modern technology during actual games. And really, they're right.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think it would take three first rounders. If you're going to do that, you might as well go all-in on Watson. 

I think that perhaps I have more faith in Rhule (now Fit, via proxy) than some. I don't think that we're going to leave our QB high and dry. Rhule proved to me in one season that he can coach young guys up to be legitimately competitive. If Fit is as advertised, between him and Rhule, they should be able to field a talented team, even if it's using resources outside of drafting first round talent.

What if they decide that one of those QB's that everyone is salivating over in the first isn't worth the capital?  What happens to this joint if they pick one in the second or third for instance?  I imagine that the faith in Fitz and Rhule will immediately be lost by the Huddle and whom think it is a much better evaluator of talent than the professionals.  

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think it would take three first rounders. If you're going to do that, you might as well go all-in on Watson. 

I think that perhaps I have more faith in Rhule (now Fit, via proxy) than some. I don't think that we're going to leave our QB high and dry. Rhule proved to me in one season that he can coach young guys up to be legitimately competitive. If Fit is as advertised, between him and Rhule, they should be able to field a talented team, even if it's using resources outside of drafting first round talent.

I feel the same about Fit and Rhule. I trust them for now. I wasn’t being exact with the picks. I worry about, mortgaging the future, to an extent. Swap firsts this year and give up another pick or two? Not so bad. Lose our first and second this year and next? Kind of hurts. But I’d also understand why they would make the move. 

I can wrap my head around just about anyone we’ve been linked to other than Mond or Jones. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am chalking that up to the hurndog. 

It’s not even that horrific of a swing and a miss. Sure Teddy sucks but does anyone think if we added a Kyle Pitts and CMC was healthy all year we would still have our red zone issues? 

29 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's why it's a dumb idea to reach this year. Yes Bridgewater is sub par at best but we will get a franchise player at 8. Maybe not a QB but someone of need. 

Or trade back (remember Fitterer said he likes to do that, and that there is not much difference between pick 18 and 40 (or something close to that)...

You make the OL better, you make whoever is playing QB better.  Make the D better, and it changes the offensive strategy in some situations and it gets you the ball back more often.  So yes, I see this as a better long-term strategy that going all in on a QB and getting fleeced of picks and talent that is hard to overcome.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean it has been reported in several places including CBS and Fox Sports that he wore a GPS tracker during the game against James Madison, and that the tracking data was provided to scouts. Based upon this data, NextGen stats even confirmed that it was faster than any NFL QB last season. And the 12th fastest during the season. So I don't know what more to tell you, unless it's a vast conspiracy by the NFL and NCAA (LOL).

Anyway, Lance and his team are basically of the opinion that the 40-yard dash in underwear is outdated with modern technology during actual games. And really, they're right.

I missed that somehow but you are right, the NFL network commented on it.  Thats pretty fast

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I am chalking that up to the hurndog. 

Seems everyone is taking the “head in the sand” approach to that subject. I guess whatever helps convince yourselves that Rhule didn’t make every single decision last offseason? Which moves did Hurney make on his own? Just the bad ones? Did Hurney sign Teddy and tell Rhule about it after it was signed? It’s hilarious the lengths this fan base will go to justify and excuse incompetence. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Forget about college stats, he can make all the throws and just let Rhule coach him up. That flick of the wrist deep ball is Mahomes -esque.  I just hope he is there at 8.  To be safe, I would trade up to 5 and hope Falcons didn’t fall in love with him too.

Lets gooo I know you’ve been a Trey Lance fan too you know the vibes! Trey Lance or bust! (Since we’re not getting Watson)

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

It’s not even that horrific of a swing and a miss. Sure Teddy sucks but does anyone think if we added a Kyle Pitts and CMC was healthy all year we would still have our red zone issues? 

We aint getting Pitts.  We can only hope cmc is 100% and teddy gets more comfortable while whoever waits on deck.   Would be a weird scenario where the pieces fall into place and we make the playoffs with Lance (or whoever) as the backup

Lance definitely has struggled with throws to his right.  Not just at his pro day, but it shows up on film as well.  In nearly every case, it comes back to his inconsistent lower body mechanics.  When he gets his feet correct, he can throw to the right.  When his feet don't agree with his arm, or when he's lazy with his feet, he tends to sail it to the right. 

A QB coach could probably tell us why that doesn't happen nearly as often when throwing left, but I can't spot it.  His mechanics are inconsistent no matter where he's throwing, but it seems to be that the results of that are far more obvious throwing to the right.

It's all a question of whether those mechanics can be cleaned up.  It's not that he doesn't know how to do it right, because at times he shows really nice feet.  It's just . . . inconsistent.

A really good QB coach may be able to fix that.  I suspect that, at best, he's got an "ok" QB coach at NDSU.  In fact, they don't have a dedicated QB coach.  They've got one guy who is "Associate HC / Passing Game Coordinator / QB's" coach.

The talent is there, no doubt.  If his issues can be fixed, if he can put it together above the shoulders, the guy could be the best QB in the draft.  Answering those "if's" is the challenge.  Those if's really scare me at #8.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Seems everyone is taking the “head in the sand” approach to that subject. I guess whatever helps convince yourselves that Rhule didn’t make every single decision last offseason? Which moves did Hurney make on his own? Just the bad ones? Did Hurney sign Teddy and tell Rhule about it after it was signed? It’s hilarious the lengths this fan base will go to justify and excuse incompetence. 

He picked Brown when Rhule wanted to trade back.  We have to assume as the GM Marty had the final say in roster choices because that is typically how it works.  Remember it was a big deal when it came out that Rhule now has final say over fit