• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Cam Erving - 2 years, 10 million, 8 fully guaranteed

Varking

13 hours ago, Basbear said:

Pat Elflein 0-1

Cameron Erving 0-2

Zack Kerr plays hard, cheap, and panthers need DTs. YEP lets cut him! 0-3

Im having flashbacks.....RECENT flashblacks..... yea they are somewhat "cheap", but the only thing cheap is their tape. Injuries, Injuries, a history of injuries and when they play subpar is being very nice..

I'm not enthusiastic about the line signings but cutting Kerr is really the puzzling one for me. Maybe something becomes clear in the coming days but that just makes little sense at this point in time.

• Beer 1

If you want OL in FA, you have to spend a little money.  What were the Panthers supposed to do, wait until the draft to try and fill ever OL spot when we still need to draft a QB?  And considering we might have to either move up or trade for Watson, we might not even be in a spot where we have a 1st or 2nd to spend on OL.

You can't look at this signing in a vacuum. You have to consider everything.  Panthers couldn't afford to sit and wait for "cheap" OL to become available... and really this is about as cheap as you are gonna get.

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I'm not enthusiastic about the line signings but cutting Kerr is really the puzzling one for me. Maybe something becomes clear in the coming days but that just makes little sense at this point in time.

He wasn't a good fit on a roster that already has Brown and Roy, who will likely see an even bigger % of snaps next year now that they have experience and will have another year of NFL training. 

I get why some people still aren't a fan of it.  But there is definitely some sense behind it.  You release Kerr because you desire to replace him with someone more versatile and that complements Brown/Roy more.  No coincidence Autry was someone we targeted - he's someone who can play the 3T.  Kerr is not.

• Beer 1

So reflecting on it more, my guess is the team felt at minimum he could come in and be one of our starting guards with the versatility to serve as an injury replacement at tackle if needed. Which if you think about it, is effectively what Dennis Daley is when healthy, for under a million dollars. So very likely an overpay, particularly in a year with a depressed cap and fewer teams with ample space, but at least we're talking 5 million and not a Matt Kalil level contract. If he somehow revives himself on the level of Michael Oher in 2015 then it'll be a great signing but nothing in his play to this point suggests he has that in him. 

• Beer 1