• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like Jets' 2nd pick is open for business...?

TheCasillas

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I'm not suggesting you base an assessment off of one game.   

But if we are giving up a ton of draft picks for a kid....I'd like a better resume than one great year vs meh competition.   

Just spending the #8 pick on any of these QB would be a big enough gamble in itself.  I think Field's has the highest ceiling of all the QBs.  Which includes my boy Trevor.  But I don't want to trade away a ton of picks for him either.  

You can't look at competition as a means to how great a QB is going to be in the NFL. Certain skills translate well to the NFL. Skills like throwing with anticipation, ball placement, footwork, safety manipulation, mechanics, etc. 

Go back and watch Wilson's tape. Damn near every single throw last year was a throw that would be a completion against NFL caliber competition based on ball placement alone. He was slinging the ball on the money on out routes from opposite hash before Receivers break from their routes. His timing and anticipation is fantastic, and THAT is a skill that translates to the NFL regardless of college level competition. He was throwing back shoulder go routes on the run, on the money, all year long. 

Kid has a special arm. 

I will say though, I understand Scot's hesitancy with his potential injury issues mainly based around the way he plays. He plays like he thinks he's 6'5, 250. That won't fly in the NFL. He needs to learn how to protect himself or he'll end up like RG3. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Man are yall scared to go for it

I'd be less scared to go for it if we had an NFL roster to back up said rookie QB.

Sadly Rivera and Hurney left us in a mess. We need all the Draft picks we can get at the moment. 

• Pie 1

Just now, OldhamA said:

I'd be less scared to go for it if we had an NFL roster to back up said rookie QB.

Sadly Rivera and Hurney left us in a mess. We need all the Draft picks we can get at the moment. 

Teams go from worst to first every year, and we already have some good young players who are ascending, a QB is what puts you over the top and gets you on the path to competing. Get one and move ahead

Screenshot_20210323-180239_Chrome.jpg

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

our 2022 1st round pick, 2023 1st round pick, 2023 3rd round pick plus something as that still doesn't meet the basic valuation point total.   10 points shy.  Jets probably would be looking for overpayment as well rather than barebones. 

Cost is way too high for someone like Wilson.  I'm just not a fan.  Doesn't have the resume for such a price

Why don't they understand that? One year wonder from a small school should be late first at best.

Dude is light in the pants not even a physical freak, going against a league full of physical freaks.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

You can't look at competition as a means to how great a QB is going to be in the NFL. Certain skills translate well to the NFL. Skills like throwing with anticipation, ball placement, footwork, safety manipulation, mechanics, etc. 

Go back and watch Wilson's tape. Damn near every single throw last year was a throw that would be a completion against NFL caliber competition based on ball placement alone. He was slinging the ball on the money on out routes from opposite hash before Receivers break from their routes. His timing and anticipation is fantastic, and THAT is a skill that translates to the NFL regardless of college level competition. He was throwing back shoulder go routes on the run, on the money, all year long. 

Kid has a special arm. 

I will say though, I understand Scot's hesitancy with his potential injury issues mainly based around the way he plays. He plays like he thinks he's 6'5, 250. That won't fly in the NFL. He needs to learn how to protect himself or he'll end up like RG3. 

His habit of bailing out of clean pockets likely could have different consequences vs Clemson’s NFL DL talent and front vs folks he saw.   Or last years’ Ohio St.  Or Bama. 

that’s one do the things I don’t like about him.   Those are play killers.  And they aren’t as noticeable when the talent up front isn’t as good IMO.  

And this thread really boils down to two issues merging together.  It isn’t that I think Wilson isn’t good.  I’d be more than happy to land him at #8.  Hardly a real knock.   I don’t buy he looks better than Fields.  And I wouldn’t want to give up what is needed to get to #2 for Fields (and he is my favorite).  

• Pie 1

Love Wilson and would trade up for him within reason ... I’m convinced the coaching staff know more then I .. and whoever we take with our 1st pick in this draft will help us no matter what ... but don’t trade 3 1st for Wilson .. there a lot of QBs in this draft .. we on the way up either way .. go panthers! 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

His habit of bailing out of clean pockets likely could have different consequences vs Clemson’s NFL DL talent and front vs folks he saw.   Or last years’ Ohio St.  Or Bama. 

that’s one do the things I don’t like about him.   Those are play killers.  And they aren’t as noticeable when the talent up front isn’t as good IMO.  

And this thread really boils down to two issues merging together.  It isn’t that I think Wilson isn’t good.  I’d be more than happy to land him at #8.  Hardly a real knock.   I don’t buy he looks better than Fields.  And I wouldn’t want to give up what is needed to get to #2 for Fields (and he is my favorite).  

That is a legit concern and he did do that quite a bit in the film I have seen. His OL was head and shoulders above most of his competition all season. 

For me personally, I will be completely content if we trade multiple 1's to move up to #2 or #3 to draft any one of Wilson, Fields, or Lance. 

Honestly, I don't care, I like all of them for different reasons and would be thrilled to land any of them. Wilson just so happens to be my favorite of the 3, but I will be absolutely GIDDY if we trade up to take anyone of them. 

2 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

"I don't wanna take risks or give up anything"

Why even watch sports lol

I was willing to give up more than vast majority of the board was comfortable with for Watson.  I’m not risk adverse.     

There are limits on what I would give up for a college QB though.   How many of the top 2 QBs drafted the last 8 years would have been worth what we are speculating here.....2-3 of the 16?  Just playing the odds I guess.