• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Kellen Mond anyone?

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Also, if the guy turns out to be at least serviceable, we may still need to look for a long term solution it's true, but it would allows us to move on from Teddy's cap hit for a player that costs very little. Sure we still need the long term solution but we have an extra 20+mil to make the rest of the roster better. That would be worth the pick, wouldn't it? 

True...it is amazing how ravenous people get in year 2 of a total rebuild.  LOL.  Not taking a QB is totally fine right now.  Get Talent!

• Pie 4

So help me out. He is the athletic dual threat QB everyone wants. He is exactly the same size as Lance with similar athleticism. Only he started 45 games in the SEC played in several bowl games and was MVP of the senior bowl. While Lance did little to nothing for a third tier team and didn't even run the 40 at his proday.  The knock is the same, both somewhat of a project given the need to learn NFL defenses and make good decisions and not run at the sign of pressure.

Tell me how Mond is a stretch in the first but Lance is worth giving up multiple firsts to move in the draft to secure. Maybe it is me, but that seems crazy logic. To me Lance isn't as good a prospect as Mond and is surely not so much better to justify multiple firsts.  If anyone gives up multiple firsts for Lance I hope we aren't that stupid when we can get someone just as good staying right where we are or even moving down a bit.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 2

52 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So help me out. He is the athletic dual threat QB everyone wants. He is exactly the same size as Lance with similar athleticism. Only he started 45 games in the SEC played in several bowl games and was MVP of the senior bowl. While Lance did little to nothing for a third tier team and didn't even run the 40 at his proday.  The knock is the same, both somewhat of a project given the need to learn NFL defenses and make good decisions and not run at the sign of pressure.

Tell me how Mond is a stretch in the first but Lance is worth giving up multiple firsts to move in the draft to secure. Maybe it is me, but that seems crazy logic. To me Lance isn't as good a prospect as Mond and is surely not so much better to justify multiple firsts.  If anyone gives up multiple firsts for Lance I hope we aren't that stupid when we can get someone just as good staying right where we are or even moving down a bit.

1) I don’t want to give up multiple firsts for either guy. 
2) Lance has a stronger arm and is faster than Mond.

3) Mond is the most inconsistent QB in the SEC.

4) Yes, Mond started 40+ games but Mond also has like 8 absolute duds of a game in those 40 games. Lance never had an absolute dud. The worst passing games of his career he’d take over with his feet. 
5) Lots of SEC QBs has career years this year because nobody played defense in the SEC in 2020. 
5) Monds “breakout year” this past season he completed 63% of his passes to bring his four year career number to 59%. He has like 5 or 6 games in his career where he completed like 40% or less of his passes. 
6) Mond averages 3.7 yards per carry. He’s not the same athlete as Lance. 

Mond is the definition of inconsistent. One game he would flash and look good and the next game he’d be the reason the game is even close. 

I watch tons of SEC football and if there’s one guy the past four years I would not trust in a big game it’s him. You don’t know what you’re getting. 

And Lance did not do little to nothing. He scored 40+ TDs while throwing 0 interceptions in his only full year as a starter. He’s the #4 QB on my board and I prefer Lawrence, Wilson and Fields over him but even I can see he did much more than what you are giving him credit for. 

Edited by Varking

22 minutes ago, Varking said:

1) I don’t want to give up multiple firsts for either guy. 
2) Lance has a stronger arm and is faster than Mond.

3) Mond is the most inconsistent QB in the SEC.

4) Yes, Mond started 40+ games but Mond also has like 8 absolute duds of a game in those 40 games. Lance never had an absolute dud. The worst passing games of his career he’d take over with his feet. 
5) Lots of SEC QBs has career years this year because nobody played defense in the SEC in 2020. 
5) Monds “breakout year” this past season he completed 63% of his passes to bring his four year career number to 59%. He has like 5 or 6 games in his career where he completed like 40% or less of his passes. 
6) Mond averages 3.7 yards per carry. He’s not the same athlete as Lance. 

Mond is the definition of inconsistent. One game he would flash and look good and the next game he’d be the reason the game is even close. 

I watch tons of SEC football and if there’s one guy the past four years I would not trust in a big game it’s him. You don’t know what you’re getting. 

And Lance did not do little to nothing. He scored 40+ TDs while throwing 0 interceptions in his only full year as a starter. He’s the #4 QB on my board and I prefer Lawrence, Wilson and Fields over him but even I can see he did much more than what you are giving him credit for. 

So Lance played against who?  Sure Mond was inconsistent. He also had mediocre talent around him and played in the toughest league in college. Meanwhile Lance dominates in a much lower division with and against talent who won't sniff the NFL.  He didn't play but 1 game in 2021. If he were playing in the SEC I promise he wouldn't be talked about as a first rounder. I get they are both projects but moving up for Lance would be a huge mistake. 

• Beer 1

Mond would be a mistake, he is way too inconsistent and yes he was mvp of the Senior Bowl but that was a stretch because of weak talent this year. If he is not a franchise QB and I don't think he is don't draft him, and no I'm not a scout. It's a franchise QB or don't draft a QB. 

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

So Lance played against who?  Sure Mond was inconsistent. He also had mediocre talent around him and played in the toughest league in college. Meanwhile Lance dominates in a much lower division with and against talent who won't sniff the NFL.  He didn't play but 1 game in 2021. If he were playing in the SEC I promise he wouldn't be talked about as a first rounder. I get they are both projects but moving up for Lance would be a huge mistake. 

You do realise Mond played for Texas A&M, right?

I would rather have Mond in the third than giving up 3 firsts for Lance, but if Lance is there at 8 or if we can get him without giving up the kind of haul SF did (should be possible), Lance seems to have a higher ceiling.

Of course, Lance's competition is hugely concerning.  He didn't look good in his only game in 2020 and his team didn't ever seem to trust him to carry them with his arm.  However, he looks to have all the physical tools to succeed and clearly has decent decision making skills.

Everyone talks about consistency with Mond. I get it. I've read those same articles too but I also looked at his stats the last 3 years.

*2018 Texas A&M SEC SO QB 13 238 415 57.3 3107 7.5 7.7 24 9 135.0
*2019 Texas A&M SEC JR QB 13 258 419 61.6 2897 6.9 6.9 20 9 131.1
*2020 Texas A&M SEC SR QB 10 188 297 63.3 2282 7.7 8.5 19 3 146.9

That looks pretty consistent to me while also showing improvement in his last season. Also, unlike the other 4 QBs in the discussion, he wasn't playing for the best team on the field most every game. 

He has faults just like the others but his faults are also correctable with coaching. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah I haven’t suggested one time I’d move up for Lance. I’ve been very consistent with not moving up for him as I wouldn’t move up to get my #4 QB. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Everyone talks about consistency with Mond. I get it. I've read those same articles too but I also looked at his stats the last 3 years.

*2018 Texas A&M SEC SO QB 13 238 415 57.3 3107 7.5 7.7 24 9 135.0
*2019 Texas A&M SEC JR QB 13 258 419 61.6 2897 6.9 6.9 20 9 131.1
*2020 Texas A&M SEC SR QB 10 188 297 63.3 2282 7.7 8.5 19 3 146.9

That looks pretty consistent to me while also showing improvement in his last season. Also, unlike the other 4 QBs in the discussion, he wasn't playing for the best team on the field most every game. 

He has faults just like the others but his faults are also correctable with coaching. 

More his game logs show inconsistency from one start to the next, and this year it was particularly clear in the last 4 games relative to the beginning of his year...  I do think that coaching could correct his issues but I haven't watch as much of him as some others.  

I don't like him in the first round but who knows after that.

• Pie 1