• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49ers just traded to possibly get....Mac Jones

You would have to think the Patriots have already been in contact with the49ers about Jimmy G's status *if* (yeah, right) SF drafts a QB.  This is EXTREMELY important as NE is probably the final team to jump ahead of us to get a QB.  If there is an understanding that Jimmy will be available, that should keep the Pats at #15 and get Jimmy an offensive weapon to utilize.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You would have to think the Patriots have already been in contact with the49ers about Jimmy G's status *if* (yeah, right) SF drafts a QB.  This is EXTREMELY important as NE is probably the final team to jump ahead of us to get a QB.  If there is an understanding that Jimmy will be available, that should keep the Pats at #15 and get Jimmy an offensive weapon to utilize.

Jimmy G is severely over rated. He has played one full season and was the weak link on a super bowl team. 

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Jimmy G is severely over rated. He has played one full season and was the weak link on a super bowl team. 

Tell that to Belichick.  He still has a man-crush on Jimmy G.  Again, Jimmy G going back to NE (if that actually happens) keeps the Pats from trading ahead of us in the draft.  That's really all I care about.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tell that to Belichick.  He still has a man-crush on Jimmy G.  Again, Jimmy G going back to NE (if that actually happens) keeps the Pats from trading ahead of us in the draft.  That's really all I care about.

Do we know NE is still interested or is it just speculation?

Just now, mav1234 said:

Do we know NE is still interested or is it just speculation?

I saw it somewhere today that it's *rumored* NE is still interested in Jimmy G. I've been all over football pages this afternoon.  But yes, I read that somewhere earlier this afternoon.  This has draft implications, so you can't bank on it.  It could be true or it could be smoke.

Just now, reptilexcq said:

What's so great about MacDonald Jones? He eat burgers all day, getting fat. That's why he's unable to run out of the pocket to save his life.

there's something ridiculous about internet trolls insulting division 1 athletes.

1 minute ago, reptilexcq said:

What's so great about MacDonald Jones? He eat burgers all day, getting fat. That's why he's unable to run out of the pocket to save his life.

You made a brand new account to make this post? 

• Flames 2

I have challenged people to tell me exactly why they are so certain Jones does not belong with the other QBs at the top of the draft.  Fans read some crackhead's article and another that repeats it and they start believing they are in the know.  Here are some of the attempts (paraphrased) to dismiss Jones.

1. His body. (See GOAT, and tell me what kind of body do you need to read and throw?)

2. He has an average arm.  (Well, when your brain is slow to react, you need a gun to make up the time you lost trying to figure it out.  When you anticipate and read quickly, you simply make sure the ball is there on time.  An average arm is easier to catch than a laser, so it is actually better).

3. He was only good because he had a good team around him.  (what else is he supposed to be?  Being good is a negative if you have a supporting cast?  I am assuming that Trevor is good for that reason, Fields is good for that reason, and Lance is good for that reason.  And if you look at Wilson's schedule, he was good for that reason. What a stupid point.  Jones completed nearly 80% of his passes for an 11.2 yards gained per attempt average. He average 350 yards per game and had 42 TD passes vs. 4 Ints.  That is better than all other QBs---oh, and he won a championship, something only Fields did not do.) 

So if you are convinced that Jones sucks, the stats do not support your opinion.

-------------------

Here is what I think:  SF sees Jones as the best fit for their offense, and they probably assume that Wilson and Trevor will be gone.  So they may play the draft gamble game and project him to be there at 12, or the remove all doubt.  Securing #3 allows them to focus on the rest of the draft, make trades, etc. because they now KNOW who they are getting. 

• Pie 1
2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have challenged people to tell me exactly why they are so certain Jones does not belong with the other QBs at the top of the draft.  Fans read some crackhead's article and another that repeats it and they start believing they are in the know.  Here are some of the attempts (paraphrased) to dismiss Jones.

1. His body. (See GOAT, and tell me what kind of body do you need to read and throw?)

2. He has an average arm.  (Well, when your brain is slow to react, you need a gun to make up the time you lost trying to figure it out.  When you anticipate and read quickly, you simply make sure the ball is there on time.  An average arm is easier to catch than a laser, so it is actually better).

3. He was only good because he had a good team around him.  (what else is he supposed to be?  Being good is a negative if you have a supporting cast?  I am assuming that Trevor is good for that reason, Fields is good for that reason, and Lance is good for that reason.  And if you look at Wilson's schedule, he was good for that reason. What a stupid point.  Jones completed nearly 80% of his passes for an 11.2 yards gained per attempt average. He average 350 yards per game and had 42 TD passes vs. 4 Ints.  That is better than all other QBs---oh, and he won a championship, something only Fields did not do.) 

So if you are convinced that Jones sucks, the stats do not support your opinion.

-------------------

Here is what I think:  SF sees Jones as the best fit for their offense, and they probably assume that Wilson and Trevor will be gone.  So they may play the draft gamble game and project him to be there at 12, or the remove all doubt.  Securing #3 allows them to focus on the rest of the draft, make trades, etc. because they now KNOW who they are getting. 

Jones deserves a chance! He's just not what I would personally be looking for to be competitive in today's NFL. Moreover, I think you're projecting on the belief that he has Brady or Peyton-esque type of football processing up there in his dome. I'm going to have to see him do that as a pro before I believe it. To me, that would be something special and perhaps an advantage if he's truly on that level. But, today, I just see him as a a guy with a pretty decent floor, but a limited ceiling due to his lack of athleticism and ability to play off script. 

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He has an average arm.  (Well, when your brain is slow to react, you need a gun to make up the time you lost trying to figure it out.  When you anticipate and read quickly, you simply make sure the ball is there on time.  An average arm is easier to catch than a laser, so it is actually better).

I get some of your other notes but let’s not say that it’s better to have an average arm. I’d much rather have a guy who can process fast AND has a better arm. You can’t just flatly say an average arm is better because there are tight windows and deep throws/quick reads where an average (or below average in the NFL) arm can’t make the second or third read without a defender making the play.

People may bucket Brady and Jones into a bad body bad arm group, but anyone that watched Brady in the playoffs at 43 knows that he can sling the ball. I don’t see Jones having a good NFL arm and let’s be honest, we can say he “might” have a great read/processing mind but we won’t know that until he plays in the NFL because it is true that the talent around him made his job easier. Whether it means he’s Tom Brady or Will Grier, we won’t know, but realistically he’s a lot closer to Grier just based on the history of QBs that played fantastic in college (Grier’s stats weren’t far off from Jones) and just didn’t have it for the NFL. There's dozens and dozens of those and one Brady.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Fields is about to have an awesome Pro Day and unfortunately convince SF to take him at 3...

You think the 49ers traded three first round picks and haven't made up their mind already? 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1
40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

-------------------

Plenty of people have explained why they don't care for Jones as a prospect, you've just ignored it and acted like no one has explained their position to you because it doesn't jive with your opinion. 

• Flames 1