• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: Panthers sleeper team to trade for Sam Darnold

TheSpecialJuan

Jimmy Garrapolo is a legit starting QB.  Teddy and Darnold are not on his level.  I would be very excited if the Panthers were able to come away with Jimmy G.  The obstacles are obviously his contract, can’t pay him and Teddy so a trade won’t work, and obviously he’s injury prone.  

The Niners seem to have an out with his contract this season, so I actually expect that he has a higher chance of being cut rather than traded.  Unless they actually do want to let the rookie sit a year which is hard to believe but they are in win now mode so it’s plausible (think Chiefs with Alex the year Mahomes sat)

1 minute ago, NJPanthers89 said:

Jimmy Garrapolo is a legit starting QB.  Teddy and Darnold are not on his level.  I would be very excited if the Panthers were able to come away with Jimmy G.  The obstacles are obviously his contract, can’t pay him and Teddy so a trade won’t work, and obviously he’s injury prone.  

The Niners seem to have an out with his contract this season, so I actually expect that he has a higher chance of being cut rather than traded.  Unless they actually do want to let the rookie sit a year which is hard to believe but they are in win now mode so it’s plausible (think Chiefs with Alex the year Mahomes sat)

Yeah he only threw for almost 30 touchdowns 2 seasons ago. He gets a lot of undeserved hate.

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Darnold will never be that.  He doesn't have RT's arm or decision making.

I’d argue that Darnold has a better arm than MT. Darnold has made some ridiculous throws in the NFL. Can’t defend his decision making, I’ll never get over his cross field duck against the lions that was an easy score his rookie year.

2 hours ago, NJPanthers89 said:

Darnold has not shown that he can be consistent enough to win in the NFL.  Every QB can come in and make some throws once in a while ( even look at Rypien last season) but the guys who are consistent and don’t turn the ball over become starters.  

Sam Darnold is also not as athletic as Ryan Tannehill.  I get the career arc seems similar as Darnold is destined to join another team.  But when Tanny doesn’t have it teams still have to respect him going outside the pocket and taking off.  Darnold doesn’t have that part of his game to lean on when the passing game isn’t working.  You can try hiding him behind a great rushing attack like the Titans did with Tanny early on but at some point he’s gonna have to make some throws. 

I know everyone is eager to upgrade from Teddy, but Darnold isn’t an upgrade.  Teddy is just a better QB right now and that’s the truth.  

• Pie 1

I'd trade a 3rd or 4th all day long for Darnold.  Teams strike out all the time with 3/4th round picks and this is part of the game.  If Darnold is a flop, we haven't given up much for him.  I'd probably trade for him and still pursue one of the other QBs in the draft and have Darnold be our back up plan.  You can't win in this league without a stud QB.

• Pie 3

I think we call the NYJ after they take Wilson at 2 and if we aren't able to get our QB in the first, that we will send a conditional 3rd to them. They have no need for him, and the market has dried up a bit. 

Sewell/Slater + Darnold will be just fine by me. A creative OC, the connection with Robby and having CMC is something he did not have in NY. Bookend tackles are also huge assets for him, along with a defense that should be top-10 in the league. 

6 hours ago, NJPanthers89 said:

Darnold has not shown that he can be consistent enough to win in the NFL.  Every QB can come in and make some throws once in a while ( even look at Rypien last season) but the guys who are consistent and don’t turn the ball over become starters.  

Sam Darnold is also not as athletic as Ryan Tannehill.  I get the career arc seems similar as Darnold is destined to join another team.  But when Tanny doesn’t have it teams still have to respect him going outside the pocket and taking off.  Darnold doesn’t have that part of his game to lean on when the passing game isn’t working.  You can try hiding him behind a great rushing attack like the Titans did with Tanny early on but at some point he’s gonna have to make some throws. 

I know everyone is eager to upgrade from Teddy, but Darnold isn’t an upgrade.  Teddy is just a better QB right now and that’s the truth.  

Good point 

59 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I think we call the NYJ after they take Wilson at 2 and if we aren't able to get our QB in the first, that we will send a conditional 3rd to them. They have no need for him, and the market has dried up a bit. 

Sewell/Slater + Darnold will be just fine by me. A creative OC, the connection with Robby and having CMC is something he did not have in NY. Bookend tackles are also huge assets for him, along with a defense that should be top-10 in the league. 

Woah, when did our defence get Top 10 in the league good?

• Pie 1

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports the 49ers are asking for a first-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Patriots have reportedly been "sniffing around" for another option under center but were told Garoppolo would cost a first-round pick. The 29-year-old will clearly stay in San Francisco another year if the organization isn't willing to budge on that absurd return. Due a $26.4 million cap hit in 2021, it remains a real possibility the team sticks with Garoppolo no matter who joins the roster with the No. 3 overall pick.

9 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports the 49ers are asking for a first-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Patriots have reportedly been "sniffing around" for another option under center but were told Garoppolo would cost a first-round pick. The 29-year-old will clearly stay in San Francisco another year if the organization isn't willing to budge on that absurd return. Due a $26.4 million cap hit in 2021, it remains a real possibility the team sticks with Garoppolo no matter who joins the roster with the No. 3 overall pick.

Someone needs to tell the 49ers that just because they're willing to trade three first round picks for a QB doesn't mean other teams will give them a first round pick for their mediocre starting QB.