• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's a steep price to pay to see if he's worth a sh*t.  Damn that's 3 picks for what has amounted to a bust so far.  Hope like hell he pans out well enough to at least get some of those picks back down the road.

Would you rather trade a couple of firsts to move up from Lance or Fields?

Darnold had weird injuries, terrible coaching, terrible oline, terrible weapons and thrown straight to the wolves at the age of 20 from the jump with no acclimation period.

I think a fresh start is going to be just what he needs

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Would you rather trade a couple of firsts to move up from Lance or Fields?

Darnold had weird injuries, terrible coaching, terrible oline, terrible weapons and thrown straight to the wolves at the age of 20 from the jump with no acclimation period.

I think a fresh start is going to be just what he needs

Not for any of the QB's not named Laurence or Wilson.  We were hamstrung from the beginning when they signed Teddy.  I'm just watching to see how this plays out.  I wouldn't expect any miracles if I were you.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, MadHatter said:

Difference is that Darnold turned the ball over at a high rate in college.  That us what concerns me...that he has always been turnover prone.

Fair point.  Perhaps he can be coached up, along with some film break down of past bad habits.  

Edited by bythenbrs

21 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

I hope you are right.  But qb’s that have a history in college and nfl of throwing a lot of interceptions usually don’t change.

Oh for sure and darnold isn’t nearly as talented as josh Allen but at least there’s a blueprint

I don't know how you feel about the author of this article, but I think he makes some good points

The Panthers did a terrible job of hiding their desires to find a new quarterback. Publicly the team was touting the idea that Teddy Bridgewater was “their guy,” but with every quarterback move this offseason came news the Panthers were talking to teams as well. They were close to a deal for Matthew Stafford, until the Rams offered more. They were interested in Carson Wentz, until a deal was finalized with Indianapolis. The looming possibility of making a mammoth trade for Deshaun Watson was still being touted as recently as a month ago, but quickly silenced during wide-ranging sexual assault and harassment allegations.

This left Carolina in a weird spot. This is a team in desperate need of a quarterback to start implementing the offensive rebuild coach Matt Rhule and co. started a year ago, but it was increasingly looking like there wasn’t an option. The Panthers were faced with the reality that they might either need to reach for a second-tier quarterback in the draft, or trade the farm in hopes of moving up to get someone they liked. In the end this third choice presented itself, and it may have just protected the Panthers ... from themselves.

Up to this point every possible QB scenario for Carolina was loathsome. Had they landed Stafford it would have been the peak of desperation, and an incongruous move for a team building around youth. Any scenario in the draft centered on moving up would have mortgaged the team’s future for years to come. Resigning themselves to start Bridgewater again in 2021 without competition was the equivalent of punting on the season.

The circuitous route Carolina took to trading for Sam Darnold is the kind of move that will either be worthy of the mockery it’s currently being met with, or wind up being genius — and there’s compelling reasons for both scenarios.

The idea of Darnold being a “bust” is labored at best. The fact is, there have been plenty of games and moments where there have been flashes of the player people hoped he would be coming out of USC.

Look at Week 1 of the 2019 season, for example. Despite having few weapons, and facing a brutal Bills’ defense, Darnold pushed Buffalo to the wire, losing 17-16 in a game where he completed over 68 percent of his passes and finished with a 84.9 rating.

That same year, just a few weeks later, Darnold returned from his meme-worthy absence due to mononucleosis, and threw for over 300 yards against the Cowboys. Not only was this a breakout performance, but he completed over 70 percent of his passes and finished with a 113.8 rating.

There was inconsistency throughout the season to be sure, but Darnold still managed to throw for over 3,000 yards in 13 games. This was with an offensive line that allowed him to be sacked 33 times on the year.

Even if you’re not sold on Darnold the player, it’s impossible to deny that he entered the league in the worst situation of any rookie quarterback — because of Adam Gase. A man who will go down in NFL infamy for his inability as a coach, there’s already a clear litmus test of Gase being complete inept when it comes to evaluating and utilizing quarterbacks.

more here - no paywall

Sam Darnold finally has a chance to prove he isn’t a bust (msn.com)

Edited by Paa Langfart
  • Pie 1

Like I said after Deshaun, not being anywhere near getting Lawrance, and Wilson then the 49ers trade.. This was the best scenario for me..

I also think the Falcons were going to fug us... So some how some way you were only looking at a slim chance for the 5th best QB in this draft..

Edited by WOW!!

2 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Fair point.  Perhaps he can be coached up, along with some film break down of past bad habits.  

Did he really turn the ball over a lot in college?  9 picks his first season starting, and 13 the next which is somewhat high....but not crazy.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, CPcavedweller said:

If he works out, what's wrong with it? Nothing. Former Top 5 pick playing with the Jets who thought that hiring Adam Gase was a good idea. You saw what happened when Tannehill finally got out from under him right?

If anything, the picks are worth the development time either way. 

I prefer Darnold to everyone in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence. 

George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN