• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just curious. How do you feel about Sammy's vs Teddy's deal?

top dawg

Question. For all you people talking sh¡t about Darnold, or sh¡t about Rhule and Fitterer--or even if you aren't a Negative Nancy--how do you feel about the 2021 Darnold deal versus the 2020 Bridgewater transaction? And don't be a copout and say, "They both suck!" Answer the question!

I can say unequivocally that I can live with this deal intellectually, notwithstanding the 2022 2nd), but I absolutely hated the money and structure of the Bridgewater deal. 

At least now, we don't have that much invested in Darnold, even after picking up his option. His salary should be a small issue next offseason, even if he bombs this year. Moreover, you really don't know what his ceiling really is because of being in such a horrible situation, from coaching to development to weapons. With Teddy--as some keep reiterating--we knew exactly what he was (well almost, but for the ball {no}security)! Now, we know we have a big, strong, young QB that can make all the throws (with definite ball security issues), but also one that has been "broken" to a certain extent, but a coaching staff that may legitimately be able to "fix" him by putting him into situations that play to his strengths, and not forcing him to do things that play into his weaknesses, and can ultimately turn those weaknesses into strengths. 

For all the pontificating on Bridgewater, I think that it's fair to say that he wasn't some newb at his first rodeo show. He was in an offense that he was very much knowledgeable about, and he had enough weapons--and was in situations--where he really should have succeeded...at least beyond the appearance of failure. 

So, from where I'm sitting, things aren't perfect (and they wouldn't have been even with a rookie QB), but at least we haven't done anything jaw dropping in the Darnold deal--just maybe a little eyebrow-raising with the second--haven't compromised the future by selling the farm, and have a QB with a much higher ceiling this season than we did the last.

On an off note, I wonder how/if Fitterer tempered Rhule (& possibly Tepper) on the compensation.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Question. For all you people talking sh¡t about Darnold, or sh¡t about Rhule and Fitterer--or even if you aren't a Negative Nancy--how do you feel about the 2021 Darnold deal versus the 2020 Bridgewater transaction? And don't be a copout and say, "They both suck!" Answer the question!

I can say unequivocally that I can live with this deal intellectually, notwithstanding the 2022 2nd), but I absolutely hated the money and structure of the Bridgewater deal. 

At least now, we don't have that much invested in Darnold, even after picking up his option. His salary should be a small issue next offseason, even if he bombs this year. Moreover, you really don't know what his ceiling really is because of being in such a horrible situation, from coaching to development to weapons. With Teddy--as some keep reiterating--we knew exactly what he was (well almost, but for the ball {no}security)! Now, we know we have a big, strong, young QB that can make all the throws (with definite ball security issues), but also one that has been "broken" to a certain extent, but a coaching staff that may legitimately be able to "fix" him by putting him into situations that play to his strengths, and not forcing him to do things that play into his weaknesses, and can ultimately turn those weaknesses into strengths. 

For all the pontificating on Bridgewater, I think that it's fair to say that he wasn't some newb at his first rodeo show. He was in an offense that he was very much knowledgeable about, and he had enough weapons--and was in situations--where he really should have succeeded...at least beyond the appearance of failure. 

So, from where I'm sitting, things aren't perfect (and they wouldn't have been even with a rookie QB), but at least we haven't done anything jaw dropping in the Darnold deal--just maybe a little eyebrow-raising with the second--haven't compromised the future by selling the farm, and have a QB with a much higher ceiling this season than we did the last.

On an off note, I wonder how/if Fitterer tempered Rhule (& possibly Tepper) on the compensation.

I had the same thought.  This is a much better deal for a QB with more upside.  People, you can look at stats all day--they don't measure coaching, culture, or the future.  They are snapshots of what happened.  So what?  If they want to give this a shot, what is it really costing us?  Not $40m for sure.

Correct me if I’m wrong but picking up a 5th option makes Darnold 12 mil per year for two years and TB was essentially 20 mil per year for two years.

It’s not the worst in the world, but these things add up. We’re essentially paying 32 million this year at the QB position and don’t have a solid QB (that we know will work out).

If we go into 2022 and Darnold doesn’t work out we will still be paying someone else plus no draft picks.

Its Greta to continually try to find the answer IF the answer is eventually found. But these costs will start to add up. Cap and money may not matter to much but draft picks most certainly do.

I am thinking they’ll give Darnold MUCH more time (2+ years) to produce than they ever would TB, which makes sense.

The costs at this time is low and potential is high so it’s not so bad right now and most importantly we are not stuck. And this is what it takes to find the franchise QB.

Only time will tell.

Edited by onmyown

Pretty satisfied with this deal. I was ready to stand behind Teddy, but this kid is young and can be coached up. In 2019 rookie year ( pre-Covid) he wasn't all that bad. Dropped off in 2020 but due to Covid and all the limitations that placed I'm willing to put that year aside. 

Mostly I am glad we did not trade 3 firsts and CMC for Watson (god, what a scary thought some folks here insisted we do) or give up a lot to move up a few spots in the draft and take a gamble on a QB that may or may not pan out in the NFL. On that thought, we are doing the exact same thing with Darnold, but the buy in wasn't as steep to rol' the dice!

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The big issue I have here is the timing. If we made this deal after striking out at #8 I'd be alright with it. It just feels like we're making a desperation move before we should be in desperation mode.

Possible that other teams had this plan as well.  Maybe we overpaid, but maybe that was the price for closing the deal now.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The big issue I have here is the timing. If we made this deal after striking out at #8 I'd be alright with it. It just feels like we're making a desperation move before we should be in desperation mode.

Fitterer says that he wanted to go into the draft with options. You might not agree with his reasoning that Darnold gives us options, but in some respects, he does. I think it takes the pressure off to do something that we may have really regreted later. Now we're in a better position to let the draft come to us. And, with a little work, development and luck, Darnold turns out to be the answer, which will ultimately free us up more. 

• Pie 5