• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Desperation

NAS

Great article from MMQB showing just how much things have changed and importance of QBs to building a successful franchise.  

There has never been an offseason like this one, which sets up a draft the likes of which we’ve never seen. Never has there been such a league-wide gold rush for quarterbacks. Never has the draft gone 1-2-3-4 with quarterbacks at the top. But with the assurance now that the top three picks will be, and the real chance that Atlanta at four could pick a quarterback, we might be witnessing draft history. And I doubt this will be the last time that so many quarterbacks go so high in a draft.

“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

Say no more. A few reasons. “In a league that has veered dramatically toward the passing game and toward three and four-receiver sets, it makes sense the quarterback becomes more in demand,” said Greg Cosell, a maestro at tape study. “You need a really good quarterback to play the game that exists now. It leads to the need, and sometimes the desperation, of trying to find ‘that guy.’ “

First quarterback picked in 1984: Boomer Esiason, 38th overall. First QB in 1985: Randall Cunningham, 37th overall. First QB in 1988: Tom Tupa, 68th overall. In the last six drafts, 15 quarterbacks have gone in the top 10. And this year that number could increase to 20 in the last seven drafts.

Plus, there’s little patience anymore, for coaches and quarterbacks and GMs. Of the 15 quarterbacks picked in the top 10 from 2009 to 2016, zero remain on the team that drafted them.

Finally, general managers are not risk-averse in this generation. They used to be, back in the eighties and nineties. I think Jimmy Johnson began to change that; he never met a trade he didn’t like. Now, look at the GMs making the big deals: Miami’s Chris Grier, Seattle’s John Schneider, L.A.’s Les Snead, Philadelphia’s Howie Roseman, Joe Douglas of the Jets, Brad Holmes of the Lions, John Lynch of the Niners, Baltimore’s Eric DeCosta. In general, they have no fear about shaking up their roster, and quickly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Lawerence, Lance, and Fields are all really good. 

Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Lawerence, Lance, and Fields are all really good. 

This has been said a billion times leading up to the draft and more often than not it’s incorrect. Not saying they won’t be successful, but the reality is you simply don’t know that. Many can’t miss prospects fall flat year after year. It’s almost a guarantee that at least half these QBs will fail. In fact, Darnold was once a can’t miss prospect who would likely go second in this years draft.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

If only desperation made these prosoects better than thay really are.

The telling quote from this article, IMO, 

“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, NAS said:

Great article from MMQB showing just how much things have changed and importance of QBs to building a successful franchise.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

It's amazing how many people miss this point.  The importance of the QB position has grown exponentially over the past decade.  That's the reason you don't see teams leaning on game managers anymore.  QBs are expected to go out and win games rather than just playing 'not to screw up'. 

This is why we still may draft a QB if one falls to #8...like for real, and not just playing head games with the rest of the League.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1