• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The less they know the better.

Zod

I don't believe any QBs are going to be there when we pick at 8.  There is a frenzy for QBs and several teams that have question marks at QB.  Teams are going to pursue these QBs until they are gone. 

If one makes it to 8 the choice is going to be tough.  Take one of the top 4 non-QBs talents in the draft or trade back and get more draft capital.   I believe that if there is one QB left and two or three teams bidding for that pick.  We could sell that pick for, at minimum, 1st this year and 2022.  Not to mention the extra picks that will make close the deal for the winning team.

IMO If Sewell or Pitts is there, we take him if not trade back.   We are still going to get a solid first round pick just not guys we have been talking about.  

11 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Does Rhule have time to waste a first round pick and draft a QB only to let him sit a year? If Rhule doesn't have time to boost Darnold's confidence or "coddle his feelings", he doesn't have time to let a guy sit for a year. If the Panthers were in a better place, I would have no problem taking a QB and letting him sit if needed. But since the team is still in a bad spot, I would rather draft a player that can play now. That could be an LT, which is more than needed, an edge rusher, a DT, a guard, a center, a CB, safety, or WR. I'm not wild on the idea of drafting a linebacker this highly.

And I'll be glad when the draft gets here and is over. 

There's a lot to agree with in your post. The truth is, we don't really know what Rhule is planning. He's good at keeping his cards close to the vest. We won't know anything until the draft happens, so we're all just guessing here.

• Pie 1

FWIW

Ben Allbright who is well connected in the league believes Sewell isn't the highest tackle on our board. 

That means we either have Slater one or we like Slater, Darrisaw and Sewell all pretty equally. 

I still think Slater ends up being our pick but don't be surprised with a trade down to 12-14 range and we draft Darrisaw or Horn

I'm going out on a limb right now and stating that passing on Fields would be a HUGE mistake. So what if we've given up a 2nd and 4th four Darnold. You get TWO cracks at a franchise QB if you draft Fields at 8. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

How? Teams trade up for poo QBs all the time. 

"Value" doesn't indicate how good a prospect will be, just what their perceived worth is at the time. Three years ago, the Jets drafted Darnold #3 overall. That was his perceived worth. After his last three seasons, they were probably glad to have gotten what we gave them for him.

• Beer 1

22 hours ago, Zod said:

I don't believe the Panthers will be drafting a QB with pick 8, but there is absolutely no up side to saying publicly that they won't. Other teams need to know as little as possible on our plans. Uncertainty will keep pick 8 as high a value as possible if we were to trade it.

shooting star GIF

I do like this from Rhule. I feel he was a bit too open last year or maybe that was a symptom of hurney. 

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

There's a lot to agree with in your post. The truth is, we don't really know what Rhule is planning. He's good at keeping his cards close to the vest. We won't know anything until the draft happens, so we're all just guessing here.

Yep. I'm hoping they go LT though. It's way past time that position was properly addressed.

• Pie 3

22 hours ago, La Pantera said:

The staff pretty much hashed out the Darnold trade at Fields pro day. That says a lot in itself.

Could mean they doubt he falls to 8 so they went with a backup plan just in case. I don’t think his Pro Day hurt his stock in any way. It was right there with Wilson’s from what I’ve seen/read.

14 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Does Rhule have time to waste a first round pick and draft a QB only to let him sit a year? If Rhule doesn't have time to boost Darnold's confidence or "coddle his feelings", he doesn't have time to let a guy sit for a year. If the Panthers were in a better place, I would have no problem taking a QB and letting him sit if needed. But since the team is still in a bad spot, I would rather draft a player that can play now. That could be an LT, which is more than needed, an edge rusher, a DT, a guard, a center, a CB, safety, or WR. I'm not wild on the idea of drafting a linebacker this highly.

And I'll be glad when the draft gets here and is over. 

It would be an open competition if we draft a QB. If Fields beats out Darnold as a starter then we spent a future 2nd on our backup, but probably have something in Fields. If Darnold wins out, let Fields sit and you have many options. Start Fields later, trade Darnold (if you pick up his 5th) after this year. Let Darnold go in FA and get a nice comp pick or if Darnold looks like the real deal you trade Fields (yeah you wasted a first, but you have your franchise guy for the next decade plus). The position has to be addressed and can’t have a constant revolving door. If our 8th pick helps solve it, then it’s a draft pick well spent.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It would be an open competition if we draft a QB. If Fields beats out Darnold as a starter then we spent a future 2nd on our backup, but probably have something in Fields. If Darnold wins out, let Fields sit and you have many options. Start Fields later, trade Darnold (if you pick up his 5th) after this year. Let Darnold go in FA and get a nice comp pick or if Darnold looks like the real deal you trade Fields (yeah you wasted a first, but you have your franchise guy for the next decade plus). The position has to be addressed and can’t have a constant revolving door. If our 8th pick helps solve it, then it’s a draft pick well spent.

I can't get behind the idea of a quarterback competition on a team that still has a lot of needs.

(and no, quarterback isn't one of them)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3